A little help, main drive going down.

medusaproductions

Upon arrival at the studio this morning I immediately notice the fans on my G5 going buck wild. I restarted and it seems as though my main system drive is on the fritz. Not mounting etc. Logic Crashes etc. What would you guys suggest as a best course of action to protect/ backup this system drive. Do I need software to clone it? Can I repair it? Thanks for the help.

D

Thankful my Macbook pro came in so I can continue sessions.

You shouldn't need clone software to copy data onto another disk. You're in rescue-mode, not backup mode. Speed matters if the drive is really failing. You Decide what's most important on the disk and make sure that stuff gets your attention first.

How you can proceed depends on the drive's status and how important the data on the drive are to you.

Easy scenario: the drive lives long enough for you to copy the data onto another drive. If this works, you can then test the drive to determine whether it's really failing, or if its contents have just been corrupted. Assuming you're running a late OS X, what is the drive's SMART status under System Profiler? That's usually a pretty reliable indication of a hardware failure.

Less easy: the drive's function is intermittent, necessitating that you let it cool down between data-dump sessions. The theory is that since things contract as their temperature drops, some stuck things will come un-stuck long enough for you to use the drive before it locks up again. Some people have even put drives in a refrigerator, properly protected, of course. I don't recommend this, but it has been done. You may find that some files will not copy. If you can live without them, copy what you can and chalk it up to experience.

Hard: Nothing you do works, and the data you can't copy are critical to your well-being. So you send the drive off to DriveSavers, spend a few hundred bucks to have your data salvaged.

Finally, you resolve to make back-ups more regularly with your replacement drive. As time passes, this resolve diminishes, and your underside becomes vulnerable once more to a disk failure. Just remember: all disks will eventually fail. It's not a question of whether, but of when.