map damper pedal to kick/hi-hat pedal

bsarchive

Does anyone know how I can use standard foot pedals to act as drum pedals, to trigger MIDI drum notes?

I want to use a continuous damper pedal (sending 0-124 down CC64) to act as a velocity-sensitive kick drum trigger -- i.e. converting the speed with which I put my foot down from 0 to 124 (it doesn't seem to get to 127 for some reason) determining the note velocity for some specified note on message.

On the easier side (?) I'd then like to use a standard sustain pedal (0/127 down CC67) to control hi-hat open/closed.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ben

I want to use a continuous damper pedal (sending 0-124 down CC64) to act as a velocity-sensitive kick drum trigger -- i.e. converting the speed with which I put my foot down from 0 to 124 (it doesn't seem to get to 127 for some reason) determining the note velocity for some specified note on message.

Hi Ben,

That's not going to be possible unless you source the note on message seperately. In other words, if you used a sustain pedal with your right foot to trigger the kick, the cc pedal could be used to modify its velocity which you could control with your left foot. Assuming, of course, that you have two feet! :wink:

This sounds cumbersome to use though. I don't think anyone makes a standalone MIDI kick pedal. I think they're either DrumKat or VDrum, etc. accessories. There are some DIY kits floating around that I've seen at times. So you can convert a practice pedal for instance.

The hihat control sounds do-able though. A matter of setting up some transformers for that. Is this for an EXS kit?

I guess you might have five hi-hat samples mapped to different note values -- e.g. closed A4, half-closed A#4, half-open B4, open C5, foot-down C#5. Then as you lift your foot off the pedal (value goes from 127 to 0) when you press some key on the keyboard (e.g. D5) the sample that plays back varies from the A4 - C5 key. Ideally, when you put your foot down after the B4 or C5 samples, you'd get C#5.

Or, in a more simple scenario, you have just two samples -- open and closed. If a non-continuous switch is pressed down, when you press a key (D5) you get the closed sample; when the switch is up, you get the open sample.

It's all getting a bit complicated... :?

It's all getting a bit complicated... :?

Well, not too bad actually. You'll just have to get your chops on editing EXS sample sets. You'll be glad you did though. Read up on page 425 of the Instruments and Effects manual about the EXS "Sample Select" feature. This allows you to select sample layer zones by an external modulation source, such as your cc pedal or mod wheel. Also look into the group setings, voice parameters for triggering samples with a key release.

Everything you want to do is right there in the EXS, so spend a little time with the manual and ask away if you get stuck or misunderstand something.

Yes, for an EXS kit. I guess if I can't use the continuous message sustain pedal for a kick drum, it would be good to use it for the hi-hat -- i.e. mapping samples from fully closed-half open-fully open.

Brilliant idea, a DIY MIDI hihat that can control all the nuances via keyboard. Makes total sense! You'd think someone must have thought of this before. :) Maybe someone over at some electronic MIDI drum trigger type forum somewhere. It would make a good column in a DIY gear mag if it hasn't already been done. I'm gonna feel very stupid if someone says something like "hey, that's the Roland/Korg/Yamaha/whatever XYZ123!"

So, I guess this would mean creating it's own environment in Logic? If so, how would that be done? & would this be doable in Ultrabeat?

Brilliant idea, a DIY MIDI hihat that can control all the nuances via keyboard. Makes total sense! You'd think someone must have thought of this before. :) Maybe someone over at some electronic MIDI drum trigger type forum somewhere. It would make a good column in a DIY gear mag if it hasn't already been done. I'm gonna feel very stupid if someone says something like "hey, that's the Roland/Korg/Yamaha/whatever XYZ123!"

So, I guess this would mean creating it's own environment in Logic? If so, how would that be done? & would this be doable in Ultrabeat?

Key up and key down sample select via external modulation isn't new. It's been a sampler feature for many, many years. No need to do anything in the environment, the EXS has these features built in. You just have to get more familiar wih the EXS editor. But like I said, it's time well invested.

The key however, is to find a standalone pedal that transmits just plain ol MIDI w/velocity. I'm surprised there's nothing out there other than DIY kits.