Arrange View Snap-To?

darkecho

I am coming from Cubase 4 where the arrange view quantize functions are very obvious, but I haven't figured out how to make the regions of audio snap to the bar line in logic...

It seems like it snaps, but its misaligned, as if it thinks its supposed to snap from a certain place.

just above your arrangement is a dropdown menu called 'snap'.

With Snap you've got the power to snap smart, to bar, division, tick etc.

Smart Snapping means:

Smart: Edit operations will snap to the nearest bar, beat, sub beat, and so on,

dependent on the current Bar ruler division value, and the zoom level.

hope this helps.

for more info on snap: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Snap![/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is totally related to you question, but we've had issues with Apple Loops being dragged into the Arrange window not lining up to the beat properly. This could well be because of the Snap setting we were using (this is going back a while) but the workaround we came up with at the time was to hide the SMPTE ruler if wanting to drag in Loops.

Maybe that could help in your situation too?

I am not sure but I will definately try it...

sometimes it seems like once I put a region in say 1 cm away from the main bar mark, if I try to move it to another bar, it retains that 1 cm distance like its trying to keep my custom positioning, when really, I want the region to line up flush with the bar line.

it seems to act like when you lock things to smpte but its keeping a certain distance relationship instead of letting you move it completely freely.

I am not sure but I will definately try it...

sometimes it seems like once I put a region in say 1 cm away from the main bar mark, if I try to move it to another bar, it retains that 1 cm distance like its trying to keep my custom positioning, when really, I want the region to line up flush with the bar line.

it seems to act like when you lock things to smpte but its keeping a certain distance relationship instead of letting you move it completely freely.

Yeah that feature can be a good or bad thing depending on context.

If you hold down Control once you start moving the region then it lets you freely position the region outside of the 'snap' it puts on it.

Not sure if this is totally related to you question, but we've had issues with Apple Loops being dragged into the Arrange window not lining up to the beat properly. This could well be because of the Snap setting we were using (this is going back a while) but the workaround we came up with at the time was to hide the SMPTE ruler if wanting to drag in Loops.

Maybe that could help in your situation too?

This is fixed in L8!