Play From Selection messed up in LP8

Holger Lagerfeldt

Use or assign the key command: ·Play From Selection

Open an arrangement and make e.g. a 2 or 4 bar cycle somewhere.

Select any part to the left or right of the cycle as long as it's not next to the cycle on the right. Everything works fine when pressing the key command: the selection is played correctly, ignoring the cycled area.

However, select a part right next to the cycle on the right (the left works fine) and the Play From Selection command now skips and jumps to playback the cycled area instead.

Fecking annoying.

Anybody else? Surely a bug, and not how Logic 7 behaves.

I think I found about 15 bugs so far, primarily interface bugs.

Stability seems good though (no crashes).

Can you list the 15 bugs?

It would be interesting to know wich ones you've found. :D

Yeah I probably could, however a few aren't really "bugs" but interface niggles.

But just a few from the top of my head:

- The mentioned Play From Selection bug

- Sporadic playback of audio when positioning or moving Playhead (scrubbing like behaviour with MIDI parts while not scrubbing)

- Several zooming bugs, such as zooming in on something but showing something else in Piano Roll (usually just a blank area)

- Select Equal Subpositions not working properly or not working on more than 10 selected objects

- Playhead movement instigates zooming mode by vertical moves far too easy which is very annoying

- Various graphical screen update bugs

- View settings bug in the mixer: Track number pops back unless you save your Autoload with the mixer open

-Top menu pops back after removing all items and reloading Autoload (can be fixed by removing the menu altogether thankfully).

-The color palette in audio window colors regions not waveform (I'm not sure Apple would consider this a bug though - but it's not logical and bad design and removal of a nice Logic 7 feature)

Also I think Apple should reconsider the ctrl+alt zooming and furthermore you can only move parts using ctrl (fine adjustments) AFTER selecting and moving e.g. a note, which means half the time you open a pop-up menu instead.

Again, I must emphasize that stability is not a problem, these are all primarily interface issues.

Yeah I probably could, however a few aren't really "bugs" but interface niggles.

But just a few from the top of my head:

- The mentioned Play From Selection bug

- Sporadic playback of audio when positioning or moving Playhead (scrubbing like behaviour with MIDI parts while not scrubbing)

- Several zooming bugs, such as zooming in on something but showing something else in Piano Roll (usually just a blank area)

- Select Equal Subpositions not working properly or not working on more than 10 selected objects

- Playhead movement instigates zooming mode by vertical moves far too easy which is very annoying

- Various graphical screen update bugs

- View settings bug in the mixer: Track number pops back unless you save your Autoload with the mixer open

-Top menu pops back after removing all items and reloading Autoload (can be fixed by removing the menu altogether thankfully).

-The color palette in audio window colors regions not waveform (I'm not sure Apple would consider this a bug though - but it's not logical and bad design and removal of a nice Logic 7 feature)

Also I think Apple should reconsider the ctrl+alt zooming and furthermore you can only move parts using ctrl (fine adjustments) AFTER selecting and moving e.g. a note, which means half the time you open a pop-up menu instead.

Again, I must emphasize that stability is not a problem, these are all primarily interface issues.

Thanx Lagerfelt.

I seem to have the same problems.

And I am with you on the stability. Logic 8 is extremely stable for a .0 app.

I really like the new arrange page and the more user friendly approach.

Cheers! :D

Just an afterthought regarding the 'Play From Selection' issue.

In this special case the target position of SPL is ambiguously at the same time a) start of the selected region and b) end of a cycle. Now, if you have a cycle and set the SPL on its end point, further playback will actually play the cycle..

So one could argue that the behavior is semantically incorrect because it doesn't play the selection as the command suggests, but on the other hand it seems technically correct and consistent to play the cycle in this case.