Best MIDI controller for Logic 8 Studio

Im looking for a simple no frills MIDI controller for Logic 8 Studio. Im running a Mac Book 2.2 Ghz with 1 gig (soon to be 2) of RAM. Im also running the Presonus Firestudio Project interface.

Im not a keyboard player, I just need something to input my 2 finger playing. Im thinking 61+ key controller.

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

MT

• 2 weeks later...

I have the CME UF5 and at 150 bucks i havent had a problem with it, logic 8 let me assign pretty much every knob and fader to an action relatively fuss free.

Im not a keyboard player either, so the way the keys feel works for me, its also made out of metal and its a pretty heavy sucker.

ive only had it for 2 monthes and havent had to many chances to use it. but again, only cost me 150 bucks.

M-Audio Oxygen 61. About $170. Simple to program and use. Comes with Enigma software that makes programming and preset generation easy.

Before you buy anything, however, I recommend you think about how no-frills you really want to be. You'll run into the limitations of a bare-bones controller the first time you use it, and the work required to offset its minimal functionality will become considerable as your sophistication grows. MIDI note velocities, for instance, are an important part of how virtual music sounds, and manually editing note velocities is about as tedious as it gets. Even a two-finger pianist would benefit from a controller that's sensitive to how hard its keys are pressed, and provides feedback about that as it's played.

An Axiom 61 is semi-weighted, has a bunch of assignable controls, and has eight trigger-pads for percussive input. It costs more than an Oxygen 61, but also does more. Because it feels more like a real instrument, your input will require much less editing. It's also a lot more accurate to trigger drum sounds with an impact device than a keypress.

Just stuff to consider before you plunk down your money.

Archived