Logic 8 - not really stable, error message and crashes

pkirst

I experience quite some trouble with Logic 8. I do have Logic 7 on the same computer... Does that matter?

Are there any drivers that need to be updated?

I attached the error message I just received before L8 crashed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

P

300290695_Picture2.png.8ec8ac4686854198e46523184ed87da6.png

Error Message

Hi Pkirst

it might help if you provide some machine, os etc spec's in your post.

I quickly checked the rm website and couldn't find an update for logic 8.

However, came across this page which might be useful:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_downloads.php?page=content/downloads/en_downloads_driver&subpage=content/downloads/en_downloads_driver_hdspe

scroll to the bottom for mac os drivers.

Aside from that and contacting rme to ask them if they know of any issues with the hammerfall and L8 - don't know, logic 8 runs very stably on my system.

Rounik

Definitely not!

RME Hammerfall - no probs under under Logic 7. I just mentioned this error message to show that this is part of L8's instability. It has nothing to do with the hardware...

LP8 rock stable here with Hammerfalls. Are there any other MIDI drivers loaded?

Definitely not!

RME Hammerfall - no probs under under Logic 7. I just mentioned this error message to show that this is part of L8's instability. It has nothing to do with the hardware...

P

Definitely so! :wink:

You see, the question isn't whether your hardware sucks or not. Or whether it worked with a previous version of the DAW. It's whether it is working with the current one. A lot has changed, and you need to make sure that your drivers, plugs, etc. are all up to date.

In my experience, Logic 8 is much more stable for me than Logic 7 was, hands down. And I thought Logic 7 was pretty fine. If there are other people out there experiencing no problems (and there are plenty), and you're getting this specific hardware error message (which I myself have never seen), then it is most definitely an issue with the way in which Logic is working on your specific system.

Which means it can hopefully be solved. Buffer settings, drivers, etc. are your best place to start.

I am stable here as well. I also use an RME and I am not seeing any error messages. My G5 + L8 never crashes, BUT: and I find myslef saying this to folks who have frequent crashes:

I do not go online or downaload anything ever with my computer, and I keep as few 3rd party plugaroonies going as possible. repair disk permissions after every single install or system tweak.

might also be a good idea to check out your audio midi setup (in applications>utilities) to make sure sample rates, etc correspond to logic's.

otherwise i agree with Morerecords, repair permissions often!!! It's one of my mac mantras, then unplug all hardware devices, restart with the bare necessities plugged in. Any better?

If not, try creating a new user in os x and logging in to that user and see if logic and hammerfall are still misbehaving.

Cheers

Rounik

Thanks all for your replies. However, I'm still trying to fix this problem. Here is my info:

OS X 10.4.11

4.5GB RAM

Latest Pro App Support

All Soft-Instrument-Plugins are installed and are up to date

Both versions of Logic (7 & 8) are installed

Running Unitor 8mkII, which is directly supported by L8

Main Hard Drive has 5GB of free space... not enough, but could that be the prob?

never had any error messages in L7

Audio-Midi Setup hasn't changed in many years

Could it be that there is a bug in L8 when working with video?

Thanks again

P

Could it be that there is a bug in L8 when working with video?

Not that I've found. What is the sample rate of the video's embedded audio? Does it match your session? Are you using external FW video?

I also have a Unitor8mkII, but with an AMT8 daisychained too. I have 4 other USB MIDI devices as well, one of which is the NI Kore controller. After installing Kore, I would ocassionally get the message you posted. After updating to the latest Kore driver and then re-installing the Unitor8 driver, it hasn't reappeared since.

Try refreshing the drivers for the RME and Unitor repairing permissions along the way.

btw: there are no drivers for the Unitor 8 mkII - there have never been any as far as I know.

Incorrect. Pop in the Logic 8 install disc. Uncheck everything except the Unitor8 Family Drivers option. This will refresh the driver.

I'll clean up the main hard drive. How much free space should there be on the startup drive???

20% free is a good rule of thumb.

Hi, I had this same problem. The reason I was getting it every now and then was because I had two midi controllers plugged in. One was my primary novation sl remote 25 and I also had an akai MPD 16 both plugged each in there own usp port( NOT ON A HUB BUT DIRECTLY ON THE MAC) USB on the computer. Sometimes OSX gets confused and gives you this error. You always have to reboot to get you audio and midi back up again. Ever since I sold my AKAI MPD 16. I never has this problem again.

hope that helps.

Archived