Rewire "Reason" Logic 8

digitalgl

When you say 'please help' it doesn't help much, either.

Can you say what you've tried?

(Please include: Full list of every operation that you've attempted so far, with times of day, as Logic and Reason generally start to fall out round 11ish before the cookies come out. Also list your Mac specs including when bought, and where, and how many seconds of TOTAL uptime—there is an orange calculator Widget: use it!)

eggman, you have way to much time on your hands if you can take the time to be sarcastic instead of trying to help. Anyway, for those of us that actually make our living composing music and don't have the time... I have found the answer to what I was looking for. If anyone needs help with regard to Reason & Logic Rewire problems I will be happy to pass along the info that I received.

Thanks

digitalgl

You know, Digitalgl, we took the trouble to try to begin helping you when you were vague and unforthcoming about your sceanario. I think you've misinterpreted Eggman's stab at humor as sarcasm. You've given us nothing more to go on than your report that Logic and Reason wouldn't work. For all we know, the solution could've been you had to turn on your computer. I'm glad that you solved your trouble but it would've been nice if you had taken the time to post a sentence or two as to what your difficulty and solution was. It would sit on this forum for months and a future user could potentially come along and solve a similar issue as a result. If you want a true sarcastic answer, there are other forums you can visit, I've been told to thow out all my gear and get new stuff, that's really cynical. There's a number of problems with the Logic/Reason rewire, you may only be over hump #1, but when you come back for more answers the usual gang of folks here who read the Reason posts aren't going to be so fast to take time to respond.

Or, you can still post your Logic/Reason experience in the spirit of collective problem solving and join the party. - Emile

He's gone, folks. Just for fun let's try to figure out what his problem might've been without him. What's the first hurdle to get over with the Logic8/Reason4 rewire?

1. Run Logic first, then Reason.

2. Get Reason to read rewired midi from Logic.

3. Get Reason audio routed into Logic.

4. Get hip to sneaky details like turn off cycle mode, start at bar 2, bugs with saving settings and setting live mode preferences. It really should work better and maybe by the end of Logic 8 it will.

Of course I didn't go into detail as how to accomplish steps two and three but collectively we would've if we had more direction to work from. My guess is he couldn't get to step two, step one is very easy. If he got Reason to read midi but couldn't hear it, he probably would've been more specific having gotten that far. However, he never answered my post telling him about the running order so another possibility is that he just expected somebody to type out an entire tutorial, which he pretty much could've gotten with a little search elbow grease on this forum.

Good night, kids. - Emile

He's gone, folks. Just for fun let's try to figure out what his problem might've been without him. What's the first hurdle to get over with the Logic8/Reason4 rewire?

1. Run Logic first, then Reason.

2. Get Reason to read rewired midi from Logic.

3. Get Reason audio routed into Logic.

4. Get hip to sneaky details like turn off cycle mode, start at bar 2, bugs with saving settings and setting live mode preferences. It really should work better and maybe by the end of Logic 8 it will.

Of course I didn't go into detail as how to accomplish steps two and three but collectively we would've if we had more direction to work from. My guess is he couldn't get to step two, step one is very easy. If he got Reason to read midi but couldn't hear it, he probably would've been more specific having gotten that far. However, he never answered my post telling him about the running order so another possibility is that he just expected somebody to type out an entire tutorial, which he pretty much could've gotten with a little search elbow grease on this forum.

Good night, kids. - Emile

Well pardon me people. I don't mean to butt in but. Can you please explain and or expand on steps 2 and 3. I made the switch from Reason 3 and Cubase to Reason 4 and L8. Im having the damndest time trying to Rewire Reason to L8. I know that the process begins here in Reason...see below

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/MGLSM/Picture7-1.png

After I get that all settled Im lost as to what I have to do in L8.

MGLSM - Assuming Logic was run first and Reason is in slave mode, you should now go to Reason and set up the instruments you want to use. You can always add more. Open the Adv Midi Device at the top of the rack and assign each instrument to a different midi channel by clicking on a channel button and picking an instrument from the drop down menu. Make sure that the instruments are assigned to the corresponding midi channels you want and don't use channel 1 or 2, you have to start from 3 (some things you just have to accept). Delete the Reason Mixer and in the Reason sequencer, select the transport. Once that's done, go into Logic 8 (it's all different in 7) and set up a new track as an external midi track and check open library in the dialog. In the library browser select Reason and you will see, among other choices, the instruments you have created. At this point, if you select the record enable for a track in Logic and go back to Reason, the assigned instrument's midi signal indicator will light up when you play the keyboard, but there's still no sound. Do this for each Reason instrument you've created and you've completed #2.

Let's move to #3 so I can get on with my life. Go back to Logic and open the mixer. In the Options submenu select create new auxillary channel strips. In the ensuing dialog box, click on input and select Reason, which will give you options of RW Mix L and R or single channels, RW3, RW4, etc. Select the ones that correspond to the channels you've selected for the Reason instruments you created. Now everything should "work", it's still somewhat "dicey" as they say in Formula 1.

I think that's basically it, I just went through it as I wrote this and I'm pretty tired from playing a job tonight, so I hope I didn't miss anything. Don't use Logic cycle mode, that screws things up, as does starting Logic from bar one, start at least at bar two (again, some things you just have to accept). There are other issues with latency that I haven't experienced but I understand that the solution lies in the live mode preference. Also, be aware that if you save your Reason and Logic setup files, as you should, Logic 8 will not "remember" all the details of the rewire setup and you'll have to go through that bit with the library again. This is a known bug in Logic 8 so it's tough nuggies until Apple corrects it. In order to shut down, you'll have to quit Reason first but Logic won't let you quit without doing that anyhow.

Ok, I said I was willing to help and I've done it. This doesn't address why someone would be having a legitimate problem with the Logic8/Reason4 rewire, it just explains how to do it to someone with no idea, a tutorial if you will. The usual suspects that seem to pop up in these Logic/Reason threads (you know who you are Ally and Eggman) all learned how to do this from reading threads, posting questions and weeding out all the stuff that doesn't work. Now bring us a shrubbery. - Emile

I am no expert because I just started using both Reason and Logic (I'm a Protools guy), but I just clicked a couple of things that I can share with this subject matter.

I went to Tracks in Logic 8 and created a new external midi track. Assuming that Reason 4 is open, you just select it from the Library that opens in Logic. Then you can wire it according to your audio preferences (by routing it with Reason's hardware mixer. I just opened an Aux track and selected Reasons main outputs in the i/o. I hope this helps... Logic Pro > Preferences... >

eggman, you have way to much time on your hands if you can take the time to be sarcastic instead of trying to help. Anyway, for those of us that actually make our living composing music and don't have the time... I have found the answer to what I was looking for. If anyone needs help with regard to Reason & Logic Rewire problems I will be happy to pass along the info that I received.

Thanks

digitalgl

I'm interested, I'm running Logic 8 and Reason 4.

• 3 weeks later...
MGLSM - Assuming Logic was run first and Reason is in slave mode, you should now go to Reason and set up the instruments you want to use. You can always add more. Open the Adv Midi Device at the top of the rack and assign each instrument to a different midi channel by clicking on a channel button and picking an instrument from the drop down menu. Make sure that the instruments are assigned to the corresponding midi channels you want and don't use channel 1 or 2, you have to start from 3 (some things you just have to accept). Delete the Reason Mixer and in the Reason sequencer, select the transport. Once that's done, go into Logic 8 (it's all different in 7) and set up a new track as an external midi track and check open library in the dialog. In the library browser select Reason and you will see, among other choices, the instruments you have created. At this point, if you select the record enable for a track in Logic and go back to Reason, the assigned instrument's midi signal indicator will light up when you play the keyboard, but there's still no sound. Do this for each Reason instrument you've created and you've completed #2.

Let's move to #3 so I can get on with my life. Go back to Logic and open the mixer. In the Options submenu select create new auxillary channel strips. In the ensuing dialog box, click on input and select Reason, which will give you options of RW Mix L and R or single channels, RW3, RW4, etc. Select the ones that correspond to the channels you've selected for the Reason instruments you created. Now everything should "work", it's still somewhat "dicey" as they say in Formula 1.

I think that's basically it, I just went through it as I wrote this and I'm pretty tired from playing a job tonight, so I hope I didn't miss anything. Don't use Logic cycle mode, that screws things up, as does starting Logic from bar one, start at least at bar two (again, some things you just have to accept). There are other issues with latency that I haven't experienced but I understand that the solution lies in the live mode preference. Also, be aware that if you save your Reason and Logic setup files, as you should, Logic 8 will not "remember" all the details of the rewire setup and you'll have to go through that bit with the library again. This is a known bug in Logic 8 so it's tough nuggies until Apple corrects it. In order to shut down, you'll have to quit Reason first but Logic won't let you quit without doing that anyhow.

Ok, I said I was willing to help and I've done it. This doesn't address why someone would be having a legitimate problem with the Logic8/Reason4 rewire, it just explains how to do it to someone with no idea, a tutorial if you will. The usual suspects that seem to pop up in these Logic/Reason threads (you know who you are Ally and Eggman) all learned how to do this from reading threads, posting questions and weeding out all the stuff that doesn't work. Now bring us a shrubbery. - Emile

If you assign each synth/sampler to a separate midi channel (on the MIDI in device in Reason) as Emile has suggested; it might be worth noting that when you create the corresponding aux channel strips for each Reason Synth/Sampler in Logic's mixer, not to forget (as I have done occasionally) to also create an aux strip with the L/R outputs from Reason or you may find that you still don't have any output in Logic.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, this might not be a question for the Logic forum, but I like the forum so much, I must ask:

Using L8 and Reason 3. Open Logic first. Then open Reason 3.... then... Reason is not in the slave mode. What now? Every tutorial under the sun assumes that Reason is automatically going to go to this Slave mode. But, what if it doesn't? Is this a Logic issue or Reason 3?

Thanks

That didn't really work. I downloaded the files, installed, ran Logic, ran Reason, and the error I get is:

Cannot open Reason engine.

Please reinstall to make sure that the Reason engine is properly installed.

I reinstalled Reason but it didn't work. Same error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Cannot open Reason engine.

Please reinstall to make sure that the Reason engine is properly installed.

I reinstalled Reason but it didn't work. Same error.

Any suggestions?

Make sure the Reason engine resides in the Reason folder in your Applications folder.

Then make an alias of the file and place it in the main Library folder (not inside the 'Propellerhead Software' folder.

Hope that helps,

• 1 month later...

Hey guys ... so I'm new to this site & trying to find an answer to the following ... hopefully people are still checking this particular topic!

I have Logic Studio 8 and Reason 3.0 Build 514. I am trying to use Reason as a ReWire Client (which I always used to do with Sonar on the Windows platform; Mac as a whole is quite new to me).

Soooooo ... I start up Logic 8, then after it it finished loading, I start up Reason and .......... Reason does NOT start in ReWire slave mode. The "Audio Card" indicator is lit. And there's not a single mention in any documentation anywhere that says what to do if Reason fails to start up in ReWire slave mode.

Does anyone have any pointers? Is Reason 4 required for this to work? I'd really rather not upgrade if I don't have to. Let me know if you need any other information to help me out.

Thanks!

QuantumSheep

Archived