Monome Sound

drakeguild

This vid shows it of better.

Note that he's sampling his keyboard in realtime, then manipulating trigger and loop points with the monome. This kind of realtime performance function isn't within Logic's purview. He's using either Max/MSP or Kyma to do this, maybe Super Collider. You can do this kind of thing to a degree with a Kurzweil sampler, but the monome is an OSC device, not MIDI, so my bet is he's using Max.

what ensembles?

Try the Random Step Shifter. I'll have a look as I'm not sure which ensembles support realtime sample record and manipulation. But I'm sure it's there somewhere, or wouldn't be too difficult to cobble together.

Good call Molurus. Hadn't considered Reaktor as I don't usually think about it for sampling work. Maybe I'll explore it further now.

thanks will try now. I have a suggestion, we could probably replicate the process in the video and all teach each other how we managed to do so withtout the monome. The one thing we probably can not manage in Logic is the automatic slicing that happens when these guys are recording in individual notes. A simple workaround would be to recycle a riff you play, albeit not in realtime. But we could likely "write" the same sounding music, by sequencing berforehand. It could be posted on the 3rd party presets section of this site. I figure if the monome is 10X10, then 10 reaktor ensembles with note on program changes could substitue as the monome's X buttons, and Logic's sequencer looping a single bar could be Y...any thoughts? Will check out step shifter now

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=313

Seems that 3rd party controllers can be used with this Max/MSP patch. Just can't seem to load the damn audio. If anyone is using Max, download the patch and give it try if you are on Tiger or earlier.

http://monome.org/data/app/mlr

Thanks drake, that clears it up. I remember now when mir was first being written. I need some replacement braincells. I'm getting so I can't retain all this stuff anymore.

If I get some time I'll take it for a test spin, but it's not high on my priority list, ya know?

after seeing a few vids, man I want one of these!!1 I have a friend who uses one and swears by it, and the stuff Alva Noto and Ryuichi sakamoto are doing with it has honestly gotten me excited about new music again.

Do you have to own the Full max app, or does the free Max/runtime utilty allow you to run MIR?

after seeing a few vids, man I want one of these!!1 I have a friend who uses one and swears by it, and the stuff Alva Noto and Ryuichi sakamoto are doing with it has honestly gotten me excited about new music again.

Do you have to own the Full max app, or does the free Max/runtime utilty allow you to run MIR?

No worries. I have just ordered Max (education discount) and I am just going to buy a monome. Stuff all this trying 3rd party stuff lol. Funny you should say, I am listening to ''Insen'' right now and I had no idea they used one of these. I have been racking my brains as to how they achieved this sound.

I suppose the closest one in terms of real-time triggering would be the Vierring ensemble, because (I think) it's the only one that lets you choose your soundcard input as a real-time sound source and then it mangles the whole thing rythmically through the step sequencer parameters.

The manual suggests you feed it a cd with classical music (for its tonal and timbral variety I guess). I did and it really is amazing what it does in real time.

Also I'm a big fan of the Travelizer.

Most people don't like it because the presets are pad-like and over-effected, and many use that crap voice saying "Travelizer".

Try the other presets, but do this first for each preset to dry the sound out:

Turn the Grain & Resonator all the way down. Same with Filter & Delay. On the big pad on the right, drag the + to the extreme left, then play around vertically for speed. The Damp & Decay + should be somewhere in the bottom half of the pad.

Some of the grooveboxes can do amazing stuff if you load non-percussion samples too.

(I feel this thread is going to be moved very soon...)

can you post these ensembles? or are they part of the reaktor library already?

Insen is just amazing, isn't it? I love Revep too...

It is amazing alright. Can't get enough of it. The above mentioned ensemble is in the library. Just do a spotlight search and you can open from there.

can you post these ensembles? or are they part of the reaktor library already?

They're part of the Reaktor library.

For really mangling samples around you should try the one Fader8 mentioned, RandomStepShifter.

Vierring is good because of its real-time thing, although it's more about filtering than messing about.

The GoBox is a good one to use with your own samples.

You know, adter seeing the videos enough, I can see that one of the most uniqie strengths of their approach is their abilty to have one row or button cancel out others while jamming. you caould sort of do this with reducing the polyphony of your sampler, but these guys are able to selectively cancel other loops out, while retaining multiple voices. You could also sort of do this with touch tracks, but as I always say, they are just too primitive.

Could you do it with theUltrabeat? it seems like the full view of the ultrabeat sequencer looks just about the same as a Monome... any thoughts?

yeah, after a couple hours with it I was fine. The thing that kept throwing me before I sat down with the manual was trying to use the Matrix to do multiple tracking into logic, but then I read his "manifesto' on how multi tracking is killing creativity...all in all I'd say this is one of the best freewares out there and the guy makes beautiful music and gives back by teaching and sharing as well.