End of Region

peeb

Guys, please forgive me if this is the dumbest question ever asked here but is there a command to take the SPL to the end of a selected region? Seems there surely must be but i can't find it in the online Help, can't find it in the Key Commands window and don't have the manual here. I keep it at the studio where i need it most

I use Left bracket to go to selection start and right bracket to go to selection end. It works if it's a marquee selection or region selection. Is this what you're looking for?

that works GREAT...assuming you've MADE A SELECTION.

but..if you have 30 regions on one track (say, a VO for a video that's been cut into a bunch of little sections, or from an OMF..), with space in between them, there's NO fast way in Logic to simply move the SPL from the Start of a Region to the end of it to the beginning of the next one, etc.. (in PTools, this is simply done with the TAB key). And add a modifier key or two, and you go backwards and forwards, as well as being able to create a new 'selelction' along the way.

edit: In addition to TABBING to the start/end of regions in a track WITHOUT having to 'select' something first, the Tab To Transient feature in PTools takes this navigation feature even further into detail. It's really an amazingly fast way to navigate through a myriad of regions on a track WITHOUT cliking/marquee'ing to SELECT something first.

I'll see what I can do to make a little pTools movie tonight to show this.

Edited by dkgross

I use Left bracket to go to selection start and right bracket to go to selection end. It works if it's a marquee selection or region selection. Is this what you're looking for?

that works GREAT...assuming you've MADE A SELECTION.

but..if you have 30 regions on one track (say, a VO for a video that's been cut into a bunch of little sections, or from an OMF..), with space in between them, there's NO fast way in Logic to simply move the SPL from the Start of a Region to the end of it to the beginning of the next one, etc.. (in PTools, this is simply done with the TAB key). And add a modifier key or two, and you go backwards and forwards, as well as being able to create a new 'selelction' along the way.

edit: In addition to TABBING to the start/end of regions in a track WITHOUT having to 'select' something first, the Tab To Transient feature in PTools takes this navigation feature even further into detail. It's really an amazingly fast way to navigate through a myriad of regions on a track WITHOUT cliking/marquee'ing to SELECT something first.

I'll see what I can do to make a little pTools movie tonight to show this.

Not true although it requires 2 small steps. I just use left or right arrow to go to the previous or next region and use my bracket key commands to make the spl go to that region's start or end. C'mon man, read your key commands.

Thanks for the headsup on this.. I had thought about WHAT I wanted to do, but not really HOW to do it. I'm VERY used to the simple 'TAB TO' feature in PT...

indeed...the default [ ] keycommands are set to something else. I changed them per your suggestion.

and..indeed...changing the [ ] kc's as you described does seem to provide the navigation I'm looking for, albeit with an extra key stroke (unlike PT where you just TAB to the next/prev region boundries..

I do like how Logic does this now that I've worked with it to learn the difference for an hour or so now..I try VERY hard NOT to let myself get stuck in 'old ways' of doing things...

. I do like using the l/r arrows to select the next/previous region )and holding down Control to select multiple regions...but I don't like having to use the [ to move the SPL to the beginning of the region each time.

seems to me that having the SPL automatically move to the start of a region when its selected would be an ovbvious workflow technique...why WOULDN'T you want that?

and..using the 'play from previous bar' kc seems to work with this workflow as well.

David...in your new book..do you go through setting up some 'new/unassigned' key commands for workflow improvements?

Thanks for the headsup on this.. I had thought about WHAT I wanted to do, but not really HOW to do it. I'm VERY used to the simple 'TAB TO' feature in PT...

indeed...the default [ ] keycommands are set to something else. I changed them per your suggestion.

and..indeed...changing the [ ] kc's as you described does seem to provide the navigation I'm looking for, albeit with an extra key stroke (unlike PT where you just TAB to the next/prev region boundries..

I do like how Logic does this now that I've worked with it to learn the difference for an hour or so now..I try VERY hard NOT to let myself get stuck in 'old ways' of doing things...

. I do like using the l/r arrows to select the next/previous region )and holding down Control to select multiple regions...but I don't like having to use the [ to move the SPL to the beginning of the region each time.

seems to me that having the SPL automatically move to the start of a region when its selected would be an ovbvious workflow technique...why WOULDN'T you want that?

and..using the 'play from previous bar' kc seems to work with this workflow as well.

David...in your new book..do you go through setting up some 'new/unassigned' key commands for workflow improvements?

No problem. I come from PT and spent a long time pulling my hair out with Logic until I let go of the PT way and actually learned Logic. People are all over the place bitching on and on about what Logic doesn't do but it most cases it does do it, just differently and sometimes better. Learn the program and you'll love it.

I got used to it. You can make selections, work on other things and then snap the SPL whenvever you want. Kinda cool once you're used to it but I'm looking for a better key combination that are closer in proximity to the arrow keys.

I got used to it. You can make selections, work on other things and then snap the SPL whenvever you want. Kinda cool once you're used to it but I'm looking for a better key combination that are closer in proximity to the arrow keys.

I've been thinking of the EXACT same thing :)

If you like the arrows to select the regions, why don't you assign a modifier with the arrows (like Option-arrows) to go to the top/end of the selected region?

Usually when I have a command I like to use in combination of another I try to make it easy on myself by using keys that are close together or using a modifier with the same keys...

after trying a bunch of stuff...

I've settled (for now), to use the Arrow Keys to move from one region to the next, and I changed the 'Play from Selection' k.c. to "shift spacebar'. That at least lets me quickly move from one region to the next (or skip a bunch) and immediatly play from where I stop..

this keeps my left hand in a comfy place for other 'modifier' functions with the arrow keys, and keeps my right hand close to the arrow keys and track ball..

the 'brackets' work fine for moving the SPL to the end of regions as well....after an hour or two, I was flying around just like my TAB feature in PTools. Good brain excercise (tho..I think I broke something in my frontal lobe...) lol

(I still want a 'TAB TO TRANSIENTS' function...)