so, i want to upgrade my memory.....

gschmitt

i have a new macbookPRO with 2.4 ghz and it has 2GIGs of RAM...if i wanted to get more memory in there, would it have to be mac memory? i ask b/c i searched macbookpro memory in ebay and alot of different companies with alot of different products came up....at prices much more agreeable than what mac.com sells extra memory for. is it a bad idea? also, what would be the memory upgrade i could do? 2 gigs more? would i have to replace what i have now, or could i just add 2 more?

i know this isn't a LOGIC question, but you guys really do know your s#!+. let's tie it to logic: what would be the benefit of upgrading to 4 GB in terms of working in my DAW, if any?

thanksalot!

Apple's RAM is pretty expensive, one of the ways they make money : )

you probably have two 1 GB sticks in your MBP so you'll have to take them out to upgrade. the general rule i follow with books is to max out the RAM before even questioning performance.

i get memory from Otherworld Computing, excellent for years now. i hear great things about Crucial as well. it's all cheaper than Apple and specs are the same or better.

Logic can definitely access more than 2 GB RAM so you'll notice a bump for sure.

I can definitely vouch for crucial memory being terrific. I've used them several times for 4 different macs.

Also I know a tech who works for an Apple certified repair center in my town. They use crucial's memory when they upgrade peoples machines.

:D :D :D

NO KIDDING?!! here, i thought i was going to get FLAMED for "putting a hyundai transmission in a ferrari." :lol:

so, someone kind of touched on this answer, but i need to know a little clearer: if i wanted to upgrade to 4 GB, i'd have to BUY 4 GB of memory, right? i couldn't just add 2 more GIGS to what i have now, right?

thanks so much, guys! this forum really is one of the better ones i've found!

g

if i wanted to upgrade to 4 GB, i'd have to BUY 4 GB of memory, right? i couldn't just add 2 more GIGS to what i have now, right?

that's right - the book has two slots for RAM, each slot can hold up to a 2 GB stick. MBPs come with a 1 GB stick in each slot - the dark side of capitalism :twisted:

if i wanted to upgrade to 4 GB, i'd have to BUY 4 GB of memory, right? i couldn't just add 2 more GIGS to what i have now, right?

that's right - the book has two slots for RAM, each slot can hold up to a 2 GB stick. MBPs come with a 1 GB stick in each slot - the dark side of capitalism :twisted:

Well, I thought this too, at first... but when they load in, say, 2 GB of ram, doesn't it help more if it's 2 x 1GB sticks, rather than just one stick of 2 gb?

I think you're right. Using equal amounts of ram in each slot is supposed to give better performance. I have to think that's true since the throughput is higher when you have two separate 1Gb sticks than with one 2Gb stick.

Sucks, though that you're stuck with those 1Gb sticks after you upgrade to 4Gb. I'm in the same boat. ebay?

Archived