fellow RME Fireface 800 users

I finally upgraded from my digirack 002 to the RME Fireface 800. The sound is great and it's so compatible with Logic, but I am frustrated that there is no knob to control the volume of my monitors, just a knob for the volume of my headphones.

I am trying to find a good solution. I need a quick way to turn down my monitor volume when I'm about to record myself.

What has everyone else done? Did you buy additional volume-controlling gear (nanopatch, mackie big knob) or did you find a way to re-route the inputs on the front of the unit and use those knobs? (Keep in mind I still need to use the Headphone jack volume knob for my headphones).

Also, this totalmix software is way over my head and I'm finding the manual a very hard read. It seems to be written for experienced users, not beginners like myself. Anyone else have this problem, and what did you do?

Thanks!

I just use Total Mix to turn down the levels after Logic but before the monitors, it's really not that hard to use, you just need to sit down with the manual for about 10 or 20mn to get the basics down.

It's less than ideal though, and to me the volume knob is really lacking. I've been considering a big hardware volume knob, but so far I've been ok with the software fader.

Just use the software. Honestly, when I sat down with the manual, the software was so confusing, especially the MAtrix, but I would suggest NOT trying to grasp the matrix until you get the plain old mixer.

Can you ask a question? If you can put your confusion into words, I bet I could help.

As far as volume out to your monitors,that should be very simple, and the perfect example of where their software makes fireface one of the BEST products out there fro under $2000

Thanks everyone for your responses.

The problem I have with using totalmix to turn down the monitors is having to jump back and forth between Logic and Totalmix. If they could both be active at the same time, it wouldn't be so bad. It's just that I'll be in Logic, about to hit record, have to jump over to totalmix to turn down the monitors, then click back into logic to hit record. Having the knob on the front of the digirack was much easier (although the digi did make me want to kill myself for all it's other problems).

As far as the suggestion of using a midi controller, I have heard about this and was recommended by Synthax tech support (u.s. distributor of the RME) to the "Alpha Track" - http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack which Guitar Center has for $199. Only problem is on frontier design's website they don't list totalmix software as being compatible, and Logic is barely - there's only some roundabout way to do it.

What fairly inexpensive midi controller would you suggest?

and thank you Morerecords for the Totalmix offer of help - once I can sort through my confusion and construct a clear question, I will hit you up on that offer.

do you know about any of Mac os feature that allow you to select windows with your F keys? You can move freely through many windows from many apps by hitting different Fkeys, they are assignable to apps like expose in your Macs' system preferences menu

are you sure you couldn't get used to switching windows? One thing I have learned from implementing rewire apps, you shouldn't really try to distinguish between apps, they are simply "the window I want to work in to get the task at hand completed"

That being said, if you have the money, I like the Mackie... I wish I had one.

If I did have money, there are other things that would take priority in the studio though... For the same money you could get some serious headphones, acoutical foam for bare walls, almost get a UAD card, I'd love to get the Bitstream 3X MIDI controller....

I have the mackie big knob... its not perfect by any means, for one it has ic chips in it.. so when you turn it up loud it does get a little harsh sounding, best volume controls are passive like the presonus central station which sounds excellent,

correct me if im wrong but arent you ruining bit rate by using the rme software, by turning the software volume slider down in rme totalmix you could be mixing it at 8bits, the way i understand it basically if your outputs are not very hot your losing quality, its the way converters are designed, hence we are always putting limiters and compressors on our output chain to get highest loudest bitrate possible.

G

Well, I do rememebr learning something about that ina digital audio class I slept thourgh in college, but...

I can assure you RME have done something to counter that, because I use very low settings on my rme, without any bit rate degradation. AS to why, I couldn't say.

Morerecords - thanks for the tip on selecting windows with my F keys. It might help. The only thing I still struggle with is that once I'm in the totalmix mixer window, I can't start or stop a song in Logic, which is still really hard to get used to.

Logic Pro - what is a wireless controller? Any specific suggestions?

At this point I'm leaning towards the Nanopatch, since I can get it for $59 online and I don't really need any of the extra features like talkback, etc. that some of the others offer.

I was willing to spend a little more if the additional features were cool and useful, but so far it doesn't seem so.

And any votes on which inexpensive volume knob is best?

SM Pro Audio Nano Patch

Alva Suzy cable converter/attenuator

Mackie Big Knob

Are there any good ones I'm missing?

SPL Volume 2. That's what I use.

I also use the hotkeys to do A/B'ing through total mix.

Archived