Scrolling Bits in Giant SMPTE Display: Broken

ski

Try scrolling the bits value in a Giant SMPTE Display. It scrolls the frames instead. If you get really lucky and happen to click on just the right pixel you can get the bits value to scroll. (This only works on a Friday at 2 AM when it's below 32ºF).

Can anyone confirm?

Surely you should edit the titles of these two posts to read problem instead of broken??

If you still need to find out if it is a problem for everyone else it shouldn't be announced as Broken. And it would need to be everyone else.

Besides, I thought only physical things could be broken?

Try scrolling the bits value in a Giant SMPTE Display. It scrolls the frames instead. If you get really lucky and happen to click on just the right pixel you can get the bits value to scroll. (This only works on a Friday at 2 AM when it's below 32ºF).

Can anyone confirm?

Must be system specific. It works fine here.

Try scrolling the bits value in a Giant SMPTE Display. It scrolls the frames instead. If you get really lucky and happen to click on just the right pixel you can get the bits value to scroll

Confirmed.

MacPro 2.66 - Logic8- MacOsx 10.4.11

Thanks Jay and Klab so far.

BTW, the same behavior occurs if you try to scroll by bits in the transport or tempo windows. Only if the cursor is in j-j-just the right position is it possible to move bits independently without also moving the frames value.

BTW, the same behavior occurs if you try to scroll by bits in the transport or tempo windows. Only if the cursor is in j-j-just the right position is it possible to move bits independently without also moving the frames value.

I'm finding it works fine and reliably in the transport window, hit or miss in the tempo list, and not at all in the giant smpte display. FWIW.

• 3 months later...

So I work at a music company, and on all 15 of our machines (ranging from powerbooks to brand new 8-core Mac pros) the SMPTE scrolling is broken. Yes, BROKEN! I used to be able to sync video by scrolling the SMTPE clock around by exact amounts. For example, if I wanted to place a 2-pop exactly 2 seconds before the first frame of picture, I would find the first frame and then scroll back exactly 2 seconds and place my 2-pop.

Now, in Logic 8, I try to scroll the SMTPE and it jumps around by random intervals. Not useful at all! The same happens when scrolling tempo values. And like I said, it's not just my setup, it's every one of our 15 computers that does it.

Anyone know the link to send bug reports to Apple? This is one of about fifty gripes I'm having with Logic 8.

-Kael

Yeah, I'm on 8.0.1. Still having this bug. Did it fix it for you? That would make no sense.

Thanks for the link.

Totally fixed this for me. In running a PPC with OSX10.4.9, not sure if this would make a difference somehow, considering the mysterious and wiley ways that Apple does things...

Strange! We've got:

2 x Dualcore 2.3GHz G5

3 x Quad 3Ghz Mac Pros

3 x 8-core 3 Ghz Mac Pros

and a a whole slew of powerbooks and macbooks, all running OS 10.4.11.

All of them have this bug. Doubt it would be the OS, but you're right, Apple can be fishy like that. Either way, I had all the guys at my company send them a bug report about it. Cross your fingers I guess.

Archived