First live gig with Mainstage

nickweston

did a gig last night with Mainstage and my MBPro. No external plugins, only LP8 factory stuff.

I love this program, but wish I could record with it and long for external midi control, etc.

At any rate, I had 7 hiccups, where the sound just stopped for a second or two, then continued. Very critical problem, one was in the middle of a touching ballad....

No other programs running, nowhere near CPU overload (set max at 75 percent).

I had this problem all week at rehearsals also. Tried cycling through all presets just for the hell of it, to no avail.

This is a serious problem, I'm bummed 'cause I love this program.

did another gig last night, same problems.

re-started the computer, no other apps running....

MBPro Intel, 2gig ram, using only factory samples/instruments, and simple ones at that (piano/pad, organ/bass, etc.)

sorry to say, I will not be able to use this otherwise wonderful program. I'm soooo bummed-

but the 10 or so moments of silence were official groove busters!

Please, Apple, we really could use this and need it to work flawlessly!

• 3 weeks later...
did another gig last night, same problems.

re-started the computer, no other apps running....

MBPro Intel, 2gig ram, using only factory samples/instruments, and simple ones at that (piano/pad, organ/bass, etc.)

sorry to say, I will not be able to use this otherwise wonderful program. I'm soooo bummed-

but the 10 or so moments of silence were official groove busters!

Please, Apple, we really could use this and need it to work flawlessly!

Did you try the new update 1.0.2?

• 1 month later...
I'm gonna bump this because I'm planning to use Mainstage for some one man stuff as well, I need to know if these issues have been worked out or if there are any workarounds......

Well, I've been using Mainstage a lot over the past couple of days (MacBook Pro, 2.2, 4GB RAM), and I haven't had any crashes or silence or anything, BUT my CPU meter is way too high all the time. I have the buffer set at 256, because anything higher is unplayable, and even when not playing, my CPU idles at over 50%. As soon as I start playing (just simple stuff - piano/strings etc.), it's hovering in the red, which means I can never relax!

Can anyone help? No other apps running, 1.0.2, clean install, etc.

• 1 month later...

Could it be that your mac is placed on a "shaking" surface, like a sub or similar?

In that case i think the MB's have a harddrive-protection, which works in the way that a sensor makes it take the "needle" of the disc to spare it in case of a fall or a hit. I believe you can turn this function off with a simple software. Maybe someone knows which one?

I might be all wrong too though...

e.

• 3 weeks later...

Be wary of Sculpture, Platinumverb and Space Designer at lower latencies. They are major CPU hogs.

Most of my set is EXS24 and ES2. I usually have layers about 4 patches deep on a Macbook and only see idle CPU usage at 50% when I've got a lot of plugins active.

JK

Be wary of Sculpture, Platinumverb and Space Designer at lower latencies. They are major CPU hogs.

True for Sculpture and Space Designer, but Platinumverb is no longer considered a CPU hog. I would consider it rather cheap on today's machines. In the past (more than 5 years ago) it was the benchmark for CPU load.