Volume Fade In/Out

mostlyzoso

how do, automation would probably be the easiest way.

or are you talking about a track as a stereo file? if so, open it up in the sample editor, then click on functions and fade out. ez though, because logic will fade out across the whole region in the editor, so if you just want to fade out the last two bars, put a chop in the file then open up the last two bars in the editor

to automate a fade out across a whole track, its easiest to automate the actual output, add a new track to the arrange page, then change it from audio whatever to the output that you are using. then automate a volume fade out as if you were doing automation on anyother track.

hope part of this essay was of some use!

george

wow, im sure ill get the hang of it. it seems overly complicated. I was expecting the ease of keyframes like garageband or final cut..but ill take it! Thanks again!

Click Automation in the toolbar, and click the pointer on the volume automation tracks to create new nodes. Control-Option drag a segment (between 2 nodes) to curve it.

• 1 year later...

Alright, I'm going to dig this topic up and veer it a slightly different way...

In Final Cut under > User Prefs > the Editing tab, one can CHANGE the amount of keyframes FCP lays down on volume rubber bands. There's a Pop-Up menu that gives three options (Record "all", "reduced" and "Peaks only"). I use the default of "reduced"

Now... back to Logic...

Is there a way to get Logic to cool it with the amount of 'keyframes' it places on its rubber bands. I use a Projectmix and I'd use it more if I could calm down the number of points it lays down on the line when moving its fader.

Normally, I go back in anyway and click-drag across all those points (less CPU power, cleaner and easier to make future adjustments)

Thanks you for that response.

"How hard is that"?

Lemme present another question? What is the use of even having a control surface? My post states that I use the Projectmix ... and THEN take another step to RE-work what the control surface just did with the mouse...

I wouldn't have to do this if I could simply tell Logic to not listen to every fraction of a bit of resolution.

Again, the point is USING a control surface, it would be nice to NOT have Logic lay down thousands of 'key frames'

Calm down you two..

Let me quell this quarrel with a novice question. so you can both unite in my inexperience...

where the F#CK is the automation we are talking about here...

I clicked on the automation tool in the tool bar and it does nothing to my midi tracks. where are these "rubber bands" or "keyframes" you speak of.

IMHOP, Final Cut makes this look like rocket science. In FC, you click on a button and WHAM, a line shows up to add key frames. i must be missing something.

please divert your logic prowess to me and show me how to fade volume.

can't we all just get along?

R

Ok, thanks for comin' in there mostlyzoso.

I'm sorry... I know "keyframes" aren't the exact term to use. Whatever they're called... bezier anchors, anchor points, edit points... everyone gets the gist, right?

The points on the line (in automation view) that tell ANY software app to "establish" a mathematical value *here* and interpolate the values that will occur through time until the NEXT point (anchor mathematical value).

Anyway, the whole point of this is

1) I know I can hit A and go to town with the mouse (or a tablet) but...

2) I paid all this money for a great control surface so I'm always trying to get used to using it instead (so it's not just a glorified set of transport controls ;-)

The only I was trying to make regarding FCP is that you can edit automation in real time (like being in Touch or Latch mode) with the mouse (you can do it with a control surface too... I've never done that though... ) and with the "Reduced Keyframes" selected, FCP will NOT lay down a ka-billion anchors -- it'll simply "round" and estimate... I just wanted Logic to do that.

I know Macs today are great and can handle all those anchors but I do still have a few older macs and all those anchors are

1) more CPU intensive

and 2) messier (I realize I can "clean 'em up" with either click-dragging afterward ... and move all points selecting them via Shift-drag

but ... that's what I paid all the $$ for the control surface for! Who knows... there's probably not a way.

Again just to tie ends, I wish to use the control surface more and more w/out taking two steps (a pass with the Projectmix I/O and another several with the mouse... )

Hope that cleared up things; I'm talking about the automation that gets recording via a 100mm fader on the Projectmix (or any control surface fader).

I know Macs today are great and can handle all those anchors but I do still have a few older macs and all those anchors are

1) more CPU intensive

Actually no. When you create 2 automation nodes at different levels, separated by some amount of time, while you can only see the 2 nodes there are actually many data points in between them. You can see this for yourself if you open the automation event list. So "thinning" the nodes really doesn't buy you anything, just less clutter on the display.

Again just to tie ends, I wish to use the control surface more and more w/out taking two steps (a pass with the Projectmix I/O and another several with the mouse... )

Then just go ahead and do that. Don't worry about the number of nodes it creates. It really doesn't matter. Use your ears and the fader and forget about what's on the screen. You'll be much happier.