Saving to Project Folders

Beder

David,

I read your post on the LUG about saving in Logic 8. Here's what you said, "You do NOT have to save as Project (in the old sense of the term). In Logic 8 however, the "song file" is now called a project file. And the folder that contains the project file is the project folder. If you only want to save a project file, just uncheck "Include Assets" when saving. You can also set a record path in your recording project settings. But having said all this, I still HIGHLY recommend you start working with project folders. IMO it will save you many nightmares."

So, David, how do you effectively work with Project folders to avoid nightmares? Please describe what is happening when you save - what is coming from where and going to where and how can you get it all together to back up easily?

I've read that the former concept of using Project Folders, as in Logic 7's Project Manager, has now changed with Logic 8. I never had it straight in Logic 7. I need clarity on this. I don't want nightmares. How do you work with Project Folders? I would greatly appreciate your help for a greater understanding of project folders and the best way to save and work in my situation.

In the past, I would create a logic file that was stored in my main HD with OS. Then I recorded audio(from MIDI files) to an external HD, now extinct. Now I have a new 500 GB internal drive that I plan to record audio to. I have an external 250 GB LaCie that streams my Bardstown Bosendorfer piano sample. I'm also putting all samples on this drive. I just installed the Jam Packs that came with Logic Studio there. I also have some EMU samples I'm converting and storing here and I will soon have the Redmatica software and should be able to save samples of my outboard gear with AutoSampler. Is this a good idea to put all samples here?

I guess I have a few questions that are all interrelated:

Is it true that when you save in Logic 8 the default is to save to a Logic folder in the Music folder of the user folder on the main HD with the OS? If I want everything saved to another HD, say my 500GB internal HD, how do I do this? Is it also true that if you use another drive as your audio drive you have to replace the Logic folder with an alias?

If I save my project, giving the folder the name of the project and then click to include assets won't every file, of all those assets reside on my main HD with the OS? Where does everything come from and go to? When I use an EXS sample in my project the aif file is on the external streaming 250 gb HD. Is Logic making a copy of it and putting that copy into the project folder I saved to some HD? Is it the same with the other assets? Is Logic making copies of everything where the originals reside somewhere else?

I'm reading posts in forums but there is so much complaining and confusion. What is the BEST way currently in Logic 8 to save and be able to archive/backup, with my particular set up in mind?

I'd sincerely appreciate any clarity. Thank you!

Best,

Beder

Mac G5 Dual 2.7 GHz

OSX 10.4.10

4.5 GB RAM

2 internal HDs: with OS 250 GB; + 500 GB

LaCie external 250 GB for streaming samples & all samples

LaCie 250 GB Back Up

Emagic AMT8

Mackie 1604 VLS Pro

MOTU 2408 mkII

MOTU 2408 mkII

I know you addressed Dave, but I have some spare time, so I'll tackle some of this for you.

So, David, how do you effectively work with Project folders to avoid nightmares? Please describe what is happening when you save - what is coming from where and going to where and how can you get it all together to back up easily?

I've included an image from the "save as" dialog that pops up. If you click the "advanced" tab, you actually have quite a bit of control over what gets saved into the project folder along with the song file.

http://logicprohelp.com/files/picture_1_575.png

By default, it only includes the audio files that you've recorded, but you can choose to include the samples, ultrabeat samples, reverb impulses, and movie files. If you do, it will create copies of all of these things, and save them in the project folder.

I've read that the former concept of using Project Folders, as in Logic 7's Project Manager, has now changed with Logic 8. I never had it straight in Logic 7. I need clarity on this. I don't want nightmares.

This is a bit confusing - in L7, the project manager and the project folder weren't strictly related. The project manager created a database of where different resources were located, so that the software could locate them more quickly (sampler files, etc.). This wasn't saved anywhere in the project folder, however. The project folder in L7 was fairly similar to how it functions in L8, except that you have a few different options for saving what goes in there, and L8 makes it a default method instead of an option.

I guess I have a few questions that are all interrelated:

Is it true that when you save in Logic 8 the default is to save to a Logic folder in the Music folder of the user folder on the main HD with the OS? If I want everything saved to another HD, say my 500GB internal HD, how do I do this? Is it also true that if you use another drive as your audio drive you have to replace the Logic folder with an alias?

Yes, by default Logic tries to save to the folder User>Music>Logic. If that's not your plan, then just choose a new location when you hit "save as". I keep all of my project folders on an external HD, which means all of my audio is being recorded to that drive.

All of my samples are on a different external FW drive. All I did was create an alias to that drive, and place it in Macintosh HD> Library> Application Support> Logic> Sampler Instruments. When Logic goes looking for samples, it follows that alias, and locates my external samples.

If I save my project, giving the folder the name of the project and then click to include assets won't every file, of all those assets reside on my main HD with the OS? Where does everything come from and go to? When I use an EXS sample in my project the aif file is on the external streaming 250 gb HD. Is Logic making a copy of it and putting that copy into the project folder I saved to some HD? Is it the same with the other assets? Is Logic making copies of everything where the originals reside somewhere else?

By default, Logic only includes audio files in the project folder. It will only makes copies of things like samples, reverb impulses, etc., if you check the options telling it do so when you are in the "save as" dialog.

I'm reading posts in forums but there is so much complaining and confusion. What is the BEST way currently in Logic 8 to save and be able to archive/backup, with my particular set up in mind?

When you begin a new project, start by saving it to your 500GB audio drive. This will create a new folder, and inside that folder will be a Logic file, and an Audio Files folder that will be your default audio recording path.

Leave your samples on the external drive - if they worked in L7 from that location, they'll work in L8. Unless you tell it to do so, L8 will not create copies of these samples inside your project folder.

For backups, I would suggest using Super Duper, which will allow you to schedule regular backups of your audio drive to the backup drive.

1489682725_Picture1.png.e239b0a8e671f6dd9273fb953b10715f.png

include assets

Thanks, Michael, for taking your time to reply to my post so clearly. Clarity is coming in!

If you check the options to make copies of the other assets does Logic actually make a real copy of whatever and put it in the Project Folder, not just pointing to the file somehow? If so, you have the original sample, or impulse response, etc. in a folder on the external FW or another HD, and a copy of it in the PF? And so if you put all assets in this PF it’s a simple thing to just back up the whole folder and you have the whole song and all its resources together, right? It seems like a good way to keep it all together. Just back up the folder, and it could be moved easily to another drive or studio computer. This seems like an elegant solution to the controversial Project Manager. In fact, if I’m understanding it correctly I wonder why all the complaints. Just change, I guess.

Do you always check all the assets? When would you not, other than if you weren’t going to use something, like a movie file? Also, I guess you would only have that one copy of any audio files you create in the PF, right?

Since Logic 7 didn’t do things this way, and I never used the Project Manager, what is the best way to approach updating my Logic 7 songs, gathering all the resources, into Logic 8?

I recently set up and used Carbon Copy Cloner with a Mac G4. Have you used that program? Is there a big difference between Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper?

Cool web site! I couldn’t hear the Ear Candy though. Are they streaming? I’m on broadband satellite and that usually doesn’t work and it’s just slow tonight. I’ll try again.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,

Beder

Archived