invalid node structure....anyone had this????

Ket

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for your help :)

my equipment : Logic Pro 7.2 Macbook pro 2.33 ghz 2 gig Ram, osx 10.4.11, Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 io (Firewire 800)

SITUATION:

Over a short period of time my MAC started to act slightly slower... so i asked a few guys about how to "refresh the disk" and some basic housekeeping rules (a bit like PC defrag etc)

Told me to use the DISK UTILITY and Verify the permission and the Disk and if asked to "repair the disk"

A problem arose: INVALID NODE STRUCTURE...

was advised (even by mac tech help) as to how to sort it:

1-repair disk, did not work ("failed on exit - invalid node structure" error message)

2- inserted the OSX disk, held down C and tried to do an Archive and Install... this failed...too, same thing

In the end I had to completely rebuild my MAC - didn't loose anything other than time, and after the rebuild the disk tested out ok (so it was definitely a software issue)

I figured even though it was "Running" seemingly ok... I mean, really it worked FINE just a little slow..., BUT if i can't run a simple thing like Disk Utility, and run a CORE rebuild and maintenance procedure... - then eventually (and sods law says when i least need it) my mac will die on me loosing some great recordings....

QUESTION

Has anyone had this kinda problem?

What could have caused it? and has anyone found a way to fix it that didn't involve having to rebuild the MAC??? (i've heard about disk warrior but didn't want to fork out £60 and then not have it fixed...i bet on the clean rebuild in the end....

and lastly, could this be ANYTHING to do with Logic Pro ? or maybe even the Focusrite saffire ... maybe all software uses the "NODE Structure", and since i'm not a techie, maybe anything could have caused this...but i notices when re-installing Logic it t flashed up on the screen about "structuring nodes"

Cheers

Ket

and lastly, could this be ANYTHING to do with Logic Pro ? or maybe even the Focusrite saffire ... maybe all software uses the "NODE Structure",

Yes, all software uses the node structure as this is a hard disk error, and not a good one. Is your Macbook still under warranty? Applecare? If so, it's likely Apple will replace your hard drive.

Hi,

i've rebuilt my mac and it says that the Disk is ok and it verify's ok...

So i assume that this was a software issue and NOT a hardware issue right? somewhere down the line it just went t1ts up?...

...has anyone got an idea about invalid node structures being a definite sign of the hardware failing in the long run?...even after it "verfiy's ok" after rebuild ?

cheers

Ket

i've rebuilt my mac and it says that the Disk is ok and it verify's ok...

Disk Utility is far from being a comprehensive disk "utility".

So i assume that this was a software issue and NOT a hardware issue right? somewhere down the line it just went t1ts up?...

If your reinstall was successful in mapping out whatever bad HD sectors, etc., that caused this problem in the first place, then you're probably OK at least for now. If it follows the pattern my daughters Mac Mini did, then it will come back at some point.

...has anyone got an idea about invalid node structures being a definite sign of the hardware failing in the long run?...even after it "verfiy's ok" after rebuild ?

The disks node structure isn't something that the OS or apps manipulate. It's part of the platter partitioning scheme. So if the problem started because of hardware malfunction then there's always that chance it will happen again.

A lot of users experience has been that you can just keep running diskwarrior and it will keep fixing the issue. That's how I dealt with her Mini for about a year. When things got worse, Applecare replaced the drive.

There's really no way to tell if it will happen again, but if it does, my bet is that the HD has some issues.

I've just bought 2 mew Macs, and for the first time.. I'm thinking about getting Apple Care. I have been lucky since '91 with Macs, but I guess with the investments getting larger, I should get on board with Apple Care.

Also, I haven't bought a 3rd Party disk Utiilty since OS9.

Is Disk Warrior one of the better ones these days?

Thanks