Logic 8 is useless (with pictures)

Furious George

maybe not... I am suspicous of your posting history, and George's, and the recently dismissed Humberto who now re-appears as various names with onyl 1-2 posts.

Humberto does not confront people when told to go away though. My apologes. IUt does seem suspiciously like a troll, but as your posts increase I will continually apologize.

Aw, f*%@ it, you can't do anything about trolls, sorry if I made a false accusation.

I read this post last night before anyone commented on it, and although I couldn't help the poster, I appreciate posts like his.

at least he was detailed in exactly what was the problem, plus pictures! I thought he did a good job of explaining, and it was pretty informative.

this forum is a good place to get help, AND let out frustrations time to time.

plus I was pretty impressed with all those midi regions. now I wanna hear what the song sounds like. heh heh

Evan

humberto was an altogether different beast

and yes....rant is maybe too strong a word to have used....though i use it to describe posts like this that are one-way traffic.......

no question was asked....no help sought and no constructiveness possible as a result

i am no apple fanboy....and these things SHOULD be highlighted so as to better the users experience above that of the vendor

but if apple tell you they are working on it....then have a little faith in them......this is also good news for all of us

but for the haters who can't wait..er.............logic 7 still works

I answered some of this on the Apple forum so I won't repeat it here but you raised a couple of new things here so:

1. While I never used the muted notes ting as I guide I can see where you might miss it. As for the difference in bars displayed in different zooms well obviously that relationship to the user always varied depending on monitor(s) size and personal preferences. L8 is graphically different from L7 and I am afraid one just has to adjust.

2. Logic 8 is STILL repeating the regions names further along here. How often is zoom dependent but in this short cue (55 measures) i.e. I see Percussion 1 in the region (55 measures) at bar 1 and then again at bar 19, and then again at bar 35 so this is system specific.

3. I am not yet on an Intel Mac so I cannot comment on the plug-in distribution issues but it has long been clear to me that plug-ins built into Logic have more options in the way Logic handles them than with 3rd party plug-ins, which I do not find all that surprising.

So bottom line is that some of your issues are indeed L8 issues and some seem to me to be system specific. For the former I am reasonably certain we will see a bug fix release in the not-too-distant future so hopefully better days ahead for that. Some of the other stuff has to do with the way L8 is treating your L7 files and that stuff is largely file/system specific in all probability.

I find posts like these useful..... at least it's not another post whining about f***ing beat detective again!

I will definitely be keeping my eye on my automation from now on, it's hard when you assume that it's going to be where you place it. Does anyone know if this just a LP7 to LP8 thing, or will it happen when you create the song in LP8?

I too miss the notes in the midi regions, it's way more useful (not to mention elegant!)

Luke

I find posts like these useful..... at least it's not another post whining about f***ing beat detective again!

I will definitely be keeping my eye on my automation from now on, it's hard when you assume that it's going to be where you place it. Does anyone know if this just a LP7 to LP8 thing, or will it happen when you create the song in LP8?

I too miss the notes in the midi regions, it's way more useful (not to mention elegant!)

Luke

thank you luke. If someone would have posted this info, I would not have spent thousands. on a new apple computer and logic 8.

These are all logic 8 bugs that make working with logic unusable.

how much long should I wait before apple fixes these issues? 3 months, 6 months, 8 months, 1 year?

To add insult to injury, we might have to pay more money just to get these problems fixed

INTEL MAC PLUGIN DISTRIBUTION PROBLEM:

At a buffer size of 128 Logic Pro 8 seems to distribute it's own plugins evenly over 8 cores.

But other plugins seem to be unable to be distributed over the available cores.

The above is what happens when I add 2 Altiverb 6 audio units.

http://www.patrickwilsonmusic.com/logic/cpu-max.jpg

I assume that you added the Altiverbs to different tracks? Logic can't distribute plugins that are inside one track. There are certain AudioUnits that crash if put on a different core, they have to be processed on one core. Maybe Altiverb is one of these? Doesn't necessarily like a Logic problem to me.

IMHO, it is certainly legitimate to come on a forum like this and say something like, "I am having a lot of problems with L8 and I am upset. Here they are. Are you guys having them too because if you are then they are bugs Apple needs to fix them and should not have released the app this way. If not, or if it is only a few of us, let us see if we can get to the bottom of this."

What is NOT I legitimate MHO is to come on and repeatedly rant and vent one's frustration about the same things over and over.

We are not therapists here and therapists get a lot of money per hour to listen to people rant.

The OP's only real mistake is is use of the word "useless"". He should have said "useless to me."

Humberto was another story. He clearly fed off negative response, a classic troll.

Agree with Asher here. There's no way this guy is trolling and if he is he's doing it quite stealthily.

All of his "beefs" are legitimate. I've only got LP8 on my writing machine right now to experiment with and I can tell you that I absolutely HATE that I can't see the region content anymore as well. No clue why something like that would be taken away. At least give users the option of how they want that content displayed. Not only can you not see the muted notes if you work that way, but you have a hard time seeing what's in the region at all.

very usufull post, mr furious george!

i´m planning on scoring big projects in the future myself so this is nice to know.

i haven´t upgraded yet myself, mainly because i work on a small macbook and i find Logic 8´s graphics to be much more heavy than L7.

compared to L7, it doesn´t take many tracks before scrolling around the arrange window becomes reeeeaaaally slow.

another thing is the big space the transportbar, inspector etc... takes up on my macbook screen. L7 is much more modifiable and far more Macbook-friendly.

OK,

Feel your pain bro....I just left a post asking about the .CAF thing, because I truly like working in Logic pro 7 much better, but I have this .CAF file issue.....

But, I think that if you like the way 7 worked, just use version 7. Thats what I have been doing.

Anyway

My 0.02

very usufull post, mr furious george!

i´m planning on scoring big projects in the future myself so this is nice to know.

i haven´t upgraded yet myself, mainly because i work on a small macbook and i find Logic 8´s graphics to be much more heavy than L7.

compared to L7, it doesn´t take many tracks before scrolling around the arrange window becomes reeeeaaaally slow.

another thing is the big space the transport bar, inspector etc... takes up on my macbook screen. L7 is much more modifiable and far more Macbook-friendly.

thank you, its nice to know that my expensive apple logic nightmare has at least shed some light for other users using logic in the niche market of film and scoring.

The truth is, every review that I have read about logic has praised its new look, and new workflow, and how great it is, but the truth is this is not a good release. No reviews really shed light into whats really going on with the program.

and yes, I too am still in 7. Until apple fixes these issues, logic 8 is completely useless to me. I could not stand reading all these so called improvements in lgoci 8 with out warning others about what I found out the hard way

thank you, its nice to know that my expensive apple logic nightmare has at least shed some light for other users using logic in the niche market of film and scoring.

The truth is, every review that I have read about logic has praised its new look, and new workflow, and how great it is, but the truth is this is not a good release. No reviews really shed light into whats really going on with the program.

and yes, I too am still in 7. Until apple fixes these issues, logic 8 is completely useless to me. I could not stand reading all these so called improvements in lgoci 8 with out warning others about what I found out the hard way

Yes, I think you should post issues like this. And I agree with Jay Asher's post above.

I also think that the more we see people's actual discovery of bugs and reporting on difficulties, the closer we'll be to getting them fixed...hoepfully sooner rather than later.

But, the title to this thread and the conclusions that you draw in your first post and this last one ARE a problem, and they are the sort of thing that's going to cause negative reactions, and get people all riled up. This has to be pointed out.

There is certainly no conspiracy to keep the truth from people. The reviews have all been, for the most part, pretty much right on. None of them have suggested that this is a bug-free program, that would be crazy talk. I read one yesterday that mentioned some stability issues (though I personally have not experienced them, I read these forms too, and it was enough for the magazine to give Logic 8 four instead of five stars). Other reviews that have given Logic 8 a perfect score have still mentioned that there are some kinks, but people understand that it is a .0 release and so it's to be expected a bit. But this is a good release all around.

Logic 8 is certainly not useless. In fact, for me it is a big step up over Logic 7. You have hit upon some things that need to be fixed for it to be perfected for your particular situation. And Apple and its developers need to hear this loud and clear. But a number of people have posted here about how some of these points actually aren't problems on their systems (such as the point about instrument names not being repeated in the track down the line), and how others can be solved or could have been avoided. The biggest concern seems to be the difficulties in taking particularly complicated Logic 7 files and trying to complete them in Logic 8. That is functionality that is definitely going to have to be fixed.

In any major upgrade, certain things should be kept in mind and certain precautions taken, no matter how positive the press:

• 1) Finish major projects in the version they were begun in
    2) Back up all files (including loops, etc. if they are shifting formats -- connected to next point)
    3) Investigate everything REALLY thoroughly before committing to the upgrade, to make sure it's right for you, and to make sure that you do things properly. For example, I read about Logic 8 overwriting the Logic 7 loops with the new .caf format in the first week version 8 came out, as well as reading that Logic 7 and 8 would coexist on the machine together, that Logic 7 could still be used, but that Logic 7 could not use .caf files -- and so I backed up all of that content onto an external drive, just in case it turned out to be a problem. And I hardly use loops at all -- but best to be on the safe side.
    4) If you can -- and if you're in a professional studio or have a major set-up, you most certainly can -- clone your drive(s) before doing the upgrade/install. That way, if everything falls apart it's really easy to go back to the way things were before.

I don't say these points to point a finger of blame. But rather, like you with your very informative first post, to highlight important steps/precautions for others considering making the upgrade. No matter what DAW or system they are coming from or going to.

My own personal situation has been a very pain-free one with this particular upgrade. But I still took these precautions to make sure that I was covered, no matter what. I have also been fortunate in not having my own work negatively affected by changes in the workflow and operation of the DAW -- this is likely a "different strokes" point, and for my needs the developers have been very intuitive -- mind readers, really. But you bring up some very good points about specific issues, and it will be very helpful to see what other people have to say about using Logic 7 and 8 in similar ways as you have.

I sympathize with your issues, and we'll all do what we can to see which of these are not problems, which are fixable, and which are certifiably bugs that Apple is going to have to do something about. But it does sound a bit to me like you took a leap off a cliff without really thinking through the implications for the specifics of your own work. And then when you were (understandably) upset about things, your choice of screenname and thread title started things off a touch on the wrong foot, that's all.

So let's see what we can do with this, and how we can try to solve your problems, and most definitely report the unsolvable.

hey,

I can only say.. I Understand you !!!

i've got the same problems,

i'm scoring music for a dance work, trying to sync it to video and the

"Non Tempo-Event found in Sync Reference"

is getting me completely crazy !!

there's also alot of automation problems !

i guess apple has more important things to to do (Iphone...) than fixing the bugs for us.

i would really prefer paying 1000$ for a working software than 500$ for a beta.

Yes, logic 8 has serious issues. You would expect this behavior with a program say like, garage band, but for a professional application it is unacceptable. With no update in sight, logic's pro userbase is left in l limbo.

Many options have been removed. Its hard for many people I talk to deal with the workflow issues and bugs. Many have spent many pounds on new mac's and logic 8 only to deal with a nightmare. Many thinking of dumping this program all together.

How long will you but up with this?

I am with you, although I haven't had all the problems you have. I do work for film with 100's of MIDI tracks, and in Logic 8 I can no longer view a lot of them at the same time as being able to see the region contents. That is just one thing. L8 also seems less CPU/CoreAudio efficient. At least importing an L7 project, very simple with few plugins caused strange clicks and pops that I didn't hear in L7...

How long am I gonna put up with this? Well... I have decided to give Cubase another try. There has always been reasons for me to stick with Logic, but since I see the direction Apple want to go with Logic (=simple, mainstream program, "Applefied"), I am forced to look at an alternative. Logic 7 is pretty horrible with audio instruments (e.g. notes are not played for the first bar, sometimes notes are left out etc). I think Logic 8 has improved that (?) but that is not enough compared to the features they stripped or changed. So I am going to take a long hard look at Cubase 4.1 for my next project.

This post has saved my brokeself some money.

I heard that Logic 8 is going around $500. I was excited but then i thought......why would they cut the normal price in half.

I've been thinking about getting it but i wanted to check around on forums. I was not looking for the positive things about Logic 8, you get that on the boxs and at the apple site. I need to know what the real on it is.

Me? I'm doing hip hop/pop rock/neo-soul and a bit of indie scoring.

I have never been a Logic pro user but what would you say about it (towards Hip Hop/ R&B production)

Would it be a good move?