Does anyone use hardware anymore?

Subtonic

With apps like Mainstage out, and a lot of hardware synths being developed into VSTiS and AUs, does anyone use hardware synths anymore?

I ask this because I used to use a laptop a lot live and when jamming with buddies. But my laptop is broken now, and since I relied a lot on software synths I've been wondering if I should buy a hardware unit for live performance instead of a new laptop. But it's so much more convenient to use software synths with Logic.

Obviously, hardware synths are still popular. I've been checking out the MicroKorg, but was also wondering what other people here used.

I've wondered the same thing. I went software-only years ago. But I've been a computer nerd since 1980. However, I think some musicians just feel more creative when they interact with physical boxes with knobs and wires connecting them. I recently wrote a review of a netlabel release by Julius Lagerfeld, who seems to be one of those people. I don't know how much of his sound is due to the actual hardware but I know I like it.

For practicality it should probably be software all the way.

But sometimes/most times I don't want to boot up a computer and start an instrument host. I just want to play.

I've been checking out both the Korg microKorg and the Alesis Micron. Both hardware units sound great, I'd really like to try them out for real.

But for sounds, I already have those synths in Logic: the ES2. Sure, they aren't exact, but the ES2 sounds pretty close.

It's kind of like with iTunes. I love iTunes - it's awesome, but there's almost something wrong with having to have a computer on to listen to music, or watch a movie or a TV show.

I love all the soft synths that are out, and they sound great, but bringing a laptop to a gig seems wierd to me.

If you are looking at the Alesis micron, I would highly recommend the Alesis Ion instead. that's actually what I ended up getting, and I love it. it was 500 bucks and it can do a LOT. and it's 49 keys.

I was going to get the Roland SH-201, which is also a lot of fun, but in the end the Ion sounded better, seems more sturdy, and is very very deep in it's programablity. I've used for about 10 shows now, and I love it.

It's fun for me to create a patch in Logic with a soft-synth, and then when I'm finished writing a song, I like getting my Ion out and tweaking it to sound like the Logic synth.

Evan

i used to own an ion too

really, really great synth.....sold it when i got logic though....all of the in-box synths turned it into a pretty midi controler......

i sold it for a novation sl, mainly for an extra octave

i don't play live at this point, but i always imagine problems with laptops on stage.....i supose if it's good enough for bjork, though

i do miss the ion.....

Bjork has that big-ass table too:

It seems like what we (or me) wants is a portable version of our Logic setups.

What if Apple made a keyboard that was like an iPod for your Logic setup? It's a MIDI controller that synced all your Logic instruments, their settings, along with Audio Units and the settings for those. It's really just a host for logic instruments and AUs, but if you made a new setting on it it also got transferred to your Logic setup. That way when you messed around with settings and had a happy accident, you could save the instrument setting and have it appear in your channel strips after you synced it with your Mac.

It's Mainstage Mobile, or something like that.

Would anyone buy something like that? If the price was right, I definitely would.

• 2 weeks later...
Yamaha has been messing with this idea but since they own Steinberg it only works best in Cubase. Other than that the way they have it working is to be able to tweak the board (I have a MO6) and then sync it up to back up your sounds in a program they call Studio Manager. You can also tweak the board in real time using the on screen controls which is much nicer than going into page after page on the board. It is all very reachable on screen then sync and save. As far as hardware, I love the Motif series and try not to even check out these other new boards because I am afraid (very afraid) I will like them too. I do agree that the ES2 and the other synths in Logic rock but I have become a sucker for the arps that come with the Mo all 1700 of them. The new XS has 6000, there are some real sick puppies over at Yamaha.

• 2 weeks later...