Pitch In America!

AllyMusicGirl

So I have a great singer but he can get a little "pitchy".

So my question is with my limited understanding of theory what's the best option for simple yet effective pitch correction with minimal hassle. Heck sometime I don't even know what key my songs are in or the chords.

We go on "feel" here - lol

Thanks forum!

funny.jpg.c0edaa5d3315592083770f263d222a6d.jpg

If the singer is just slightly out of key, then all you need is to pull a plug-in like Logic's pitch correction or Waves' Tune and maybe adjust the response time so it sounds natural, and that should be it. If the plug-in does funny sounds, then that's when you start having to tweak things .... or leave it like that and tell everyone you were going for that Cher effect. :wink:

I have tried lots of pitch correction plug ins and in the end I came back to Logic's own pitch correction plug for fast, natural sounding results. But the key is to use automation and also, I rarely use the actual pitch correction buttons. Instead I like to "play" the detune slider in touch or latch mode. It may take a few passes in places to practice but the result is very natural sounding and lacks any of those traditional artifacts. You can also use Logic's Pitch SHIFTER plug for this.

I'll vote for the Melodyne plugin as well. It's great and easy to use if you only need to correct a couple of notes here and there. Although you can automate the Logic one on and off, it's more like auto-tune in that it's always real-time. I prefer to "fix and forget" by using either the Autotune graphical mode, or (mostly) Melodyne plugin.

Of course, it's a no-cost option to try the Logic one.

I tell singers they need three things.

Good Tone, Pitch & Ideas.

And I believe that Pitch is the only one that they can actually improve.

So if they have the other two, a hardcore few months with intervals/scales can make a big diff. At least get then started with that in the meanwhile.

Also some singers run out of air and go flat at the End. That is better than the squirrely ones where the pitch is ALL over the place ....in even one word.

Hope your guy falls into the first category.

I've worked with Autotune, the Waves one (can't remember it's name), the Logic one and i thought by an absolute MILE that Melodyne was the best sounding and best interface. But i don't own it and i've been thinking about buying it. Anyone using it successfully in Logic 8? I'm running a G5 Dual 2.3 and OSX 10.4.11. I've heard there are issues in Leopard but haven't heard how it runs in Tiger. Having said that Ally, i've been using the Logic Pitch plug in a bit and it's mostly pretty good. Works a treat on backing vocals

He may be referring to the fact that it's very difficult to navigate from within the plug in compared to using the stand alone version. In the stand alone version I've gotten very used to clicking in the background to position the playhead. This is not possible with the plug in. You have to use Logic key commands or the arrange page which is VERY distracting to me. I much prefer using Studio for this reason.