Getting Logic Pro 6 Serial Number from dongle...

inmazevo

I'm trying to figure out a way to get my Logic Pro 6 serial number so I don't have to insert my dongle every time I reinstall Logic Pro 8.

Since it works fine with the dongle inserted @ install time, I'm assuming my serial number is on their somewhere.

Anybody know how to get it off so I can write it down? Or, is it available anywhere in Logic Pro 8 (didn't see it in the About dialog).

(Somewhere in my storage room is the sheet with the LP6 serial number, but I have no idea where... boohoo).

Thanks in advance.

- zevo

You'll have to have the dongle available to re-install Logic Studio. There is no way to 'extract' the serial number from the dongle-the dongle is the serial number that the installer is checking for. I lost my Platinum 6 dongle and had to order a replacement from Apple. Cost around $100. Keep your dongle handy (I've put mine in the Logic Studio box) if you think you'll have to do some re-installing.

Thanks guys.

I know you can install without the dongle, using the serial number from a previous version, since the Logic Studio installer gives me that option when the dongle isn't plugged in at install time.

For some reason, however, it doesn't take the LP7 serial (I presume because it was an upgrade from 6). So I'm guessing I need the LP6 serial number, which I unfortunately don't have anywhere but on my dongle.

IIRC, the Cubase dongle, which isn't really a Steinberg thing, had a way to view your licenses, and even transfer them to other dongles. I was hoping for something similar, but perhaps it's not possible.

Of course...

I suppose I could install 6.4 on my old eMac and get it from the About box there. I was merely hoping that wouldn't be a requirement. No big deal, I suppose. I'll just do that.

I'd really, really like to get the number so I can truly be dongle free. Right now, I feel half-dongled. :lol:

Anyway, thanks again...

- zevo

I know you can install without the dongle, using the serial number from a previous version, since the Logic Studio installer gives me that option when the dongle isn't plugged in at install time.

Anyway, thanks again...

- zevo

That serial number option is only for users upgrading to Logic Studio from a previous version of Logic Express. If you're upgrading using the $199 Upgrade version of Logic Studio, you'll need the dongle to install. As I stated before, I learned this the hard way and tried every workaround I could think of (or find on user groups) before I had to break down and call Apple. Sorry.

-imago dei

I see.

Fascinating.

So you're saying even if I get the Logic 6 serial, it won't work.

Disappointing, but a bit better than having to have it plugged in all the time.

Still tied to it, though. Sad that prior users of far more expensive version have to keep the goofy thing around, while all the new users don't.

Ah well... no matter.

Thanks for the help,

- zevo