Movie Score Dumb Questions

mmurray47

I'm new to scoring music to film and I've nearly finished a short 12 minute project I'm now growing concerned about outputting the final product. The original QT movie was given to me on a DVD showing 2.55GB capacity with 0GB free. I'm told the movie was compressed before it was given to me. My questions are:

1) I thought DVD's had 4.7gb of free space - how can this only have 2.55gb total capacity (as it indicates) and be filled? Does this have something to do with the way the movie was compressed?

2) If I bounce the movie down along with the new score, I'm assuming the size of the movie should increase. Can you offer any tips for bouncing the file correctly and efficiently?

Thanks!

I know this is an old post and I don't know if anyone has answered it but I'll tell you what I do.

When a client gives me a dvd I rip it into a QT file using a freebie app called Handbrake. Works like a charm everytime....google 'handbrake' QT ripper...you'll find it....Good luck

If I may ask a couple questions....

1. How long is the movie?

2. are you scoring to the movie in Logic, or is the music going to be edited to the picture by the video editor?

3. Do you know how to bounce to disk? (Under the file menu)

4. Did you use handbrake to get the QT file, or did you simply move the file from the DVD to your desktop?

5. Do you know the framerate of the movie?

Please let me know,

sfln

Hey it's the Logic Ninja whose videos I've been digging on Youtube... good work! Check them out if y'all haven't yet...

Anyway, this seems like a dumb observation, but wouldn't the DVD show the capacity to be filled in the sense that nothing more could be added? It's been burned already with 2.55 GB's of content, and it is filled in the sense that nothing more can be burned to it, unless it's rewriteable or something...

Or am I missing something really obvious here?

Hey it's the Logic Ninja whose videos I've been digging on Youtube... good work! Check them out if y'all haven't yet...

Anyway, this seems like a dumb observation, but wouldn't the DVD show the capacity to be filled in the sense that nothing more could be added? It's been burned already with 2.55 GB's of content, and it is filled in the sense that nothing more can be burned to it, unless it's rewriteable or something...

Or am I missing something really obvious here?

No, you're absolutely right. When it says no space left, it's basically saying 'this disc's session has been written, and there is to be no more writing to it'. Unless, of course, it's a re-writeable disc, but you'd still have to format it, and burn again, you can't 'just add stuff' after a session burn.

Interestingly, they did give me the movie at 25fps. Following advice (errantly) in David N's book on Pg. 399 citing 24fps as a standard speed for film, I synchronized at 24fps and scored the film. Why call the editor for guidance and look totally stupid? After I revealed to them what I had done they were gracious (but mystified I'm sure...

Turns out they liked the movie better at the 24fps making me somewhat of a hero in typical Don Knotts style. It helped that they also really liked the score...

Oh well you learn as you go right?

Thanks to all for your help again.