Worth Upgrading System Drive?

Hello everyone,

I'm running a Dual 2.5 G5 PPC for heavy orchestral/film sample composition. Thanks to the advice from these wonderful forums, I just recently upgraded my 2nd internal HD to a 750GB for more sample room, and as a result, I now have an apple WD 250 drive sitting here, and I'm wondering if I should make it my system drive.

My current system drive is a 148.93GB, and I've used 121.87GB thus far. I dont foresee any new programs in my future and after some current projects that number should drop a few gigs. However, if my math is correct, my drive is currently about 82% full, and I've heard people say for optimum performance, you should try not to go over 70% on your system drive.

Now, I dont have much experience in these matters, so before I go switching out the drives, I'd love to hear from knowledgeable folks if its even worth it! If it is, do programs like superduper keep all authorizations intact when cloning drives; e.g. Native Instruments stuff where it looks at your "system ID" (whatever that is :) )

Thanks in advance for your reply!

I certainly would do it.

Pop that new 750 out. Put the 250 into Bay B, and do a complete reformat of it. I would have it do a 'write zero's" full reformat.

SuperDuper works, and I also like Copy Copy Cloner to do a FULL copy/clone of your System Drive. (or, you can use Apple's Disk Utility as well..I just like CCC".

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Pop the new Cloned Drive into Bay A, put the 750 back into Bay B. You'll be good to go!

You -MAY- have to reauthorize some software, depending on what you have. I recently replaced my main internal drive with a 500 gig one, and it was pretty painless. I think a few Native Instruments things had to get redone.