Tab to Transient Like Operations in Logic 8

davidpye

So for those people who prefer it, or those who have trouble getting my first Multitrack Drum Quantize method to work. Here's a walk through of how to use Logics new Transient detection like Tab to Transient in Protools when cutting up multitrack drums.

Thanks to Dominic and the other guys on the Apple Logic forum who discussed this with me, and lead to this really working.

Step 1 - Making a Selection.

The way I prefer to do this is to select from the beginning to the end of the track, using the Marquee tool. Then I move the left side of the selection, it just feels a bit neater and is easier to see where you are on the screen.

http://homepage.mac.com/dpye/logicprocess/t2t/01.selection.png

Here I have all of the tracks grouped, but I've found you can get faster and more accurate results by just having say the close mics on the Kick and Snare grouped. That way Logic only senses transients from those sources, but still cuts ALL the audio at the selected points.

Then using the new Key Commands for move start of selection, Shift+Left and Right Cursor (by default) you can make the start of the selection jump along the transients automatically.

http://homepage.mac.com/dpye/logicprocess/t2t/02.t2t.png

Step 2 - Splitting.

Press it a couple of times so it reaches the first snare hit and use the "Split Regions/Events by Locators" command. This will cut everything in your arrangement at that point.

http://homepage.mac.com/dpye/logicprocess/t2t/04.split.png

You must make sure when using multiple mics like this that the selection is where you want it, its very easy to get rogue results because the mics are at different distances from the drums.

Here you can see the actual snare hit on the snare mic channel then the more distant overhead mics showing the transient later which the transient detection also picked up on.

http://homepage.mac.com/dpye/logicprocess/t2t/03.t2tclose.png

Repeat this process along the other beats you wish to cut. You'll find that even with just a couple of the tracks grouped you often need to press the move selection start right command a couple of times to land on the right transient. It seems like this is a little over sensitive at the moment, I'm it's useful for something though.

http://homepage.mac.com/dpye/logicprocess/t2t/05.nextbeat.png

Continue moving the selection and cutting until you have the section of drums looking similar to this.

http://homepage.mac.com/dpye/logicprocess/t2t/06.cuts.png

Step 3 - Quantize.

Select the regions you've just been busily splitting and open the event list. Pull down the quantize menu and select whichever quantize most closely applies to the played drums. Here I'm using 1/16 divisions.

http://homepage.mac.com/dpye/logicprocess/t2t/07.quantize.png

You'll see all the regions jump a little as their positions quantize to the grid. Then you can smooth the edits out.

Step 4 - Edit Smoothing

I do this exactly the same as I detailed in my previous Multitrack drum quantizing thread, select all the regions and move the left corner back by around a 32beat. Then add an equal power cross fade of around 5 - 10 ms. Do that and you should have something like this.

http://homepage.mac.com/dpye/logicprocess/t2t/08.finish.png

Hope this works for you, like I said you may find it's rather more manual nature more accurate when cutting certain things.

Let me know how you got on, and please don't quantize EVERYTHING, it sounds bad.....

Sure, just rubberband select all the regions you've cut and click 'merge regions by tracks' (region/merge/merge regions by tracks), or use a custom KC. This is a neat trick, as it will leave your tracks in tact and save you having to select each group of regions and merging individually. Sorted? :)

To David, thank you! And incidentally, like I said on the Apple forums, I wanted to check if this feature also worked in Logic 8.0.0 on my other Mac, but it turns out that I'd already wiped it. Sorry.

So if anyone here knows the TRUTH, then pls post below :)

Yeah using the glue tool is the way to go, or using Merge by Track, also there is the export>all tracks as audio files, but this does render the plugins too so watch out.

Yeah no idea about this feature not working in 8.0.0 but I'm sure I tried it and couldn't do it with any of the split commands, I did also tell apple via the feedback form so maybe they did it.

Oh and like someone on this forum mentioned before if you're trying to edit drums along side other tracks, put them in a folder and edit them in the folder to stop ALL the tracks in your arrangement being cut too.

• 3 weeks later...

I have overlooked this thread.

This is a very neat operation. I am yet to try it, but it looks like it may be relatively easy aftyer doing it once or twice.

Funny thing about this is that I hAve been talking about this very thing (Beat Detective type of thread) on another forum.

You see - I am hoping that we Logic users can start some kind of a trend where folks are less likely to hop over to Pro Tools to do a couple of things, and then come back to Logic.

The (2) most common things I have been hearing (as far as their "reason" is concerned: Elastic Audio, and Beat Detective).

What you have posted is inspiring (to say the least).

Thanks for sharing with us.

Take care.

Thanks for your comments guys, I thought everyone had forgotten this thread.

Waterboy also check out my other thread in this forum for a more automatic way of doing this.

I personally don't see any reason to use protools, and I use it a lot at a studio where I work, HD3, and I prefer logic. There isn't anything in protools I can't do in logic anymore. Well except Elastic Audio, but as we're still on PT7.3 we can't do that in tools yet anyway.

More than anything I'm glad these workflows are working for other people, thanks for trying them.

Well, this is really amazing. But how do you split the drum tracks without splitting the other tracks on the page? I tried protecting the tracks, but that makes it so that the split key command won't work at all. This is ALMOST a 100% solution for multi-track drum quantizing... please lord let there be a way to split only certain tracks.

So far I'm have 3 problems.

1. As I've already stated, this only seems to work when you want to slice up everything in your song since there doesn't seem to be a way to protect regions from being split. The easy fix is of course to save as a new song and then reimport the quantized drums into the original... but I'd like to avoid that.

2. Doing the transient detection on a single track tends to miss a bunch of notes... which is to be expected. If I use the snare track, it will get some of the kicks but not all.

3. Using one track for detection is really fast, I can zip through the song. Using two tracks for transient detection is incredibly slow on my 2005 era G5 2.5ghz. It stops and thinks for second with every move, so I basically can't use more than one track for detection. Are you guys on modern Macs flying with 2 tracks selected? If so that might be a good excuse for me to upgrade. OR I might just do snares on one pass and kicks on another.

This functionality is VERY important to me, so this whole thread is exciting news for me.

Ah... put the DRUMS inside the folder. I was putting everything else inside the folder. Ok, that'll work.

Waterboy. I'll give the other method a shot for sure, but it looks more suited to 1/4 note quantization. I work with a lot of metal bands so I'm constantly dealing with tempo and meter changes, triplets, 32nd notes. So an easy way to slice at transients is all I've been looking for. From there I just go through the song and quantize each section as needed.

I think my solution will be to do a pass for snares and another for kick. Then maybe the toms. All inside a folder to spare the other tracks. Thanks again to everyone for the great tips!

I think my solution will be to do a pass for snares and another for kick. Then maybe the toms. All inside a folder to spare the other tracks. Thanks again to everyone for the great tips!

Just group the channels you want to detect transients for and it'll detect those transients only.

And yes, as previously mentioned, work INSIDE the folder and it won't affect the other tracks.

Also it sounds to me like the Multitrack drum quantize workflow is more suited to you. You can sense transients of as many tracks as you want with that and glue the resulting midi regions together, just make sure you don't have any notes TOO close together or it'll trip the beat mapping engine out.