PC apps most compatible with LP8??

This is my first post here ... I've been lurking a bit fot the last week or two. Already learned so much. Planing on ordering David's book tomorrow.

For starters I don't have LP8 yet. I plan on ordering a new iMac tnext week (waiting to see if there are any big announcements at macworld). I've been talking to my singer a lot lately about getting LP8 and how much we will be able to do with it. Then, last weekend during a mix on our current setup (Korg D1600 hardware DAW) I pointed out how much we've outgrown it. We had to do multiple bounces (stems for music, drums, vocals, backgrounds, etc,,.), and it sucks mixing that way. Anyways, all my talk about Logic, and the traumatic mix made him decide that he wanted to get a new computer for music use as well. I tried to talk him into a mac, but he had some pretty good arguments in favor of getting a PC (for himself anyways).

I've only used macs (limited mainly to garageband) for music and I know next to nothing about PC based DAWs. Here are some of the requirements I would like to meet.

1- The easier we can swap projects from his computer to mine the better. I know that this has something to do with the 'rewire' function in Logic, but I don't know what software that will work with. Even with rewire how much is stuff gonna change when we swap files??

2- He's a total nOOb when it comes to recording with a computer, but he has some experience recoding otherwise. Something that is somewhat user friendly would be nice.

3- It'd be cool if the app had an upgrade path similar to Logic's. He's a college student so i was also wondering which programms I might be able to find with good academic versions and or pricing (although it just occured to me that in the case of Logic there is no upgrade path with the academic version .... is that typical of other academic level apps??)

4-He was planning on getting a PC with 2.8 ghz quad processor and I think he said 3 gigs of RAM .... probably with vista.

Any help would be appreciated. I hope I posted this in the right spot.

I give you prop's for waiting a week.

On the other hand, Rewire is just protocol to slave another app on your computer to Logic. A good example would be to slave Reason or Live to Logic.

There are ways to get your file from a PC on to a Mac. but they can be cumbersome and clanky. One way most people do it is to print the the song track by track. What I mean by print a track is to bounce the track effects. Not the best way to go about business is you ask me.

Your friend is right on the upgrade path with the academic version of Logic. Unfortunately, I do not know how the other makers go about the academic ways (ie Cubase, Sonar). But Logic Studio is only $499 anyways, and LE is $199.

To be honest LE is still pretty sweet for it's price, there are some things that are going to be missing from Logic Studio. You can also upgrade to LS from there too. Just my two cents, I hope other people chime in to your dilemma with better advice.

If you are absolutely getting Logic,persuade your singist to wait and see what he thinks of it.

If he ain't convinced,he can still go PC.

'm trying. I'm using every argument that i can think of and trying not to seem too pushy at the same time. I've at least gotten him to look at the apple site a bit, and that's a start. The next obstacle to overcome will be to convine him that he's better off with 1.8 ghz mac mini than a 2.8 quad core PC ... that's a tough argument to win.

Sounds like you're doing mostly audio so file transfer shouldn't be too hectic.
Well, there will also be some midi most likely. I'm not too worried about using the same exact soft synths though.

I know that we can transfer audio. I guess I'll rephrase my question a bit. Howabout .... "What PC based DAW works well with logic (ease of project transfers) and is fairly entry level." Something on par with the newest version of garageband for example, except for PC.

this is like watching a carcrash......he'll regret the pc decision before you've even got the daw open....os x is a revelation for an ex pc user like myself.....to the point that i'll NEVER buy a pc again

sure you can get more pc power for the same money, but all that power under the hood is nothing without a good front-end....

and then the k.o.....he won't be able to use logic....ableton is cool, and i cut my teeth on pc cubase......pro tools le with pc's are fraught with compatability issues....BEWARE

really work at convincing him to wait until you have yours....working with someone else who shares the same platform just makes more sense

this is like watching a carcrash......he'll regret the pc decision before you've even got the daw open....os x is a revelation for an ex pc user like myself.....to the point that i'll NEVER buy a pc again

sure you can get more pc power for the same money, but all that power under the hood is nothing without a good front-end....

and then the k.o.....he won't be able to use logic....ableton is cool, and i cut my teeth on pc cubase......pro tools le with pc's are fraught with compatability issues....BEWARE

anymore former PC users out there that want to agree with this. I believe him but if I can get more of you to say that this is how you feel, it will help my side of the argument.

really work at convincing him to wait until you have yours....working with someone else who shares the same platform just makes more sense
I'm trying to get him to wait, and he might. And I already have him convince that it's the if we both had macs that it would make the music thing so much easier. I guess one of his main concerns is that he also needs this computer for school. It's hard for me to make a convincing argument for Boot Camp since I've never used it(I have a G4 right now). I also tell him for me that it was easy to get used to OSX from XP, but that's just my opinion. I don't know as many people that have switched to macs to know if this is the consensus.

anymore former PC users out there that want to agree with this. I believe him but if I can get more of you to say that this is how you feel, it will help my side of the argument.

I too am holding out for MacWorld b4 I purchase my mac...I am converting from a PC/Sonar setup. I had so many compatibility issues between software and hardware that I figure I should at least give Apple a chance. TBH I don't think a mac setup could be any worse than my PC issues. Yes, my DAW was optimized for audio, heck, the darn thing was made for audio recording by a reputable company--there just are no guarantees.

If I may suggest: A MacBook (not MacBookPro) would be perfect and cost effective for your buddy. He would definitely lose in the power dept., but a Core 2 Duo is no slouch of a processor. He would definitely be able to use the computer for any school work. And, the MacBook has a very nice footprint. As well, the boths of yous could use LP8 or he could use Logic Express. Personally I would buy a MacBook if it weren't for the lack of a graphics card...

As far as transferability, if both of you had software that had OMF capabilities it "might" make things easier????? Otherwise it's pretty much transferring wav"s & aiff's.

have a good one

3Eo

I switch because XP SP2$&@+% my nice latency of 6ms to 276ms. I dont know why it went that way, but I was already fed up with Cubase the way it was. I was a Logic user on PC before they were bought out from Apple. When I finally got the money I snatched up a powerbook and Logic Express and have not looked back since.

Boot camp really is easy to use. It damn near kills the whole Mac or PC debate. You seriously get the best of both, dedicated worlds.

I'd never go back to a PC now. Seriously, the only thing I miss are some games, but I should be concentrating more on music anyway!

Aye to that. I am the only Mac user in my department in grad school. I always get comments about it. Then, when I run analyses with PC programs under VMware, and still kick other PCs asses for speed.....well, I get different looks.

Buying a Mac these days IS buying a PC (albeit you have to buy a copy of windows, and won't get quite the same HD space because you will be dual-booting (or virtualizing!).

Here is my story (anecdotal evidence is sometimes supportive).

Two years after graduating University, I got a clam-shell iBook (blue). I had been using PCs for stuff at school, and in the lab (though I wasn't terribly good. I didn't do a whole lot with that iBook other than game on it, but it was very nice (this would have been '98ish?)

Then, I gave it to a gf when I started a masters program and needed a PC as this was highly recommended (some software that was necessary would only run on PC). It took me awhile to get up and running with my laptop (Dell), but I still have it (Inspiron 8000). Then, a year after the program my musical interests were reawakened. I bought Ableton LIVE and started working on that underpowered Dell. So..........this all comes to your dilemma.

I wanted to go back to Mac. Most of the people that I knew who were making and performing music from computers were using Mac. I heard about this program called Logic (but that it had just recently become only Mac). But it was super expensive for a beginner like me ($1000) on top of buying a new computer.

So, I decided to stay with Ableton and quickly found out that a PC would be faster and cheaper. So, I bought a tricked out 17" gaming laptop. It was seriously fast. But no LOGIC.

Finally, I returned to school for a PhD. Using that same computer for analyses and work related stuff. It died on me, which was the excuse that I was looking for to finally get a Mac. Got a Macbook which is much faster than my old fast computer, run analyses on a virtualized windows install, and FINALLY have Logic (for which I have been pining for 5 years).

And I am HAPPY. Not to say that I wasn't before. I love Ableton LIVE as much. Just different beasts. And now I have both.

I used a PC for recording for a couple years, but most of that time was down time due to myriad compatibility issues, crashes, operating system problems...the audio experts didn't know computer issues, the computer experts didn't know audio issues...yes, a pc can give you more power for the $--on paper.

I switched to a Mac less than a year ago & have no regrets. Although as the Intel machines get more sophisticated & we push them more, some Mac-sters have "issues" too, but for the large part, I find Macs & OSX to be much more well-integrated & everyone knows you don't end up spending so much of your creative time & energy just troubleshooting like you do with a pc. "Power" is not always the main priority. You want to be able to use the damn thing, right?

& especially if your friend is new to computer recording, there are enough new things for him to learn & get comfortable with, without adding the inevitable problems that come with a pc. Not to mention viruses, etc...

some Mac-sters have "issues" too, but for the large part, I find Macs & OSX to be much more well-integrated & everyone knows you don't end up spending so much of your creative time & energy just troubleshooting like you do with a pc.

This is pretty much the reason why I am making the transition despite cost & learning curve...I understand that it is not all cool-breeze-sunshiny-picnic time in mac land, but generally there is an appearance of less troubleshooting needs.

have a good one

3Eo

I've also been using PC's for years... many years... right back to the days before Windows... had dozen's of 'em in that time. Recently though, the need for a new system and the imposition of Vista forced me to look elsewhere. I ended up with a Mac, an Apogee Ensemble, and Logic 8. All I can say is... why did I wait so long? This thing is awesome, absolutely no comparison to my PC setup. It sounds superb and is solid as a rock. It is incredibly smooth and well integrated. I am a convert... and I'm not going back to the flaky world of Windows ever again.

Andy

Another long-time PC user that recently switched to Mac. The journey to the Mac was a rough one for me... I had considered it for about a year, reading and studying anything I could. Chatting with friends and family, I was always talked out of switching, with arguments of "no software" or "no gaming." I would get right up to the point of making a purchase, and then back out at the last second.

So, one day I figured what the hell and I took the plunge and got a 24" iMac. I had it a week and took it back. I was miserable. I ended up purchasing roughly $3000 of PC components and built a top of the line system. I thought I was happy.

I find myself in a bookstore one day flipping through a book on Adobe Lightroom. Damn, this one won't do. All of the pictures used for reference are of a Mac. Let me check this one... Damn. All Mac as well.

Then it hit me... What the hell did I just do? It realized that I was afraid to switch. I was entering uncharted territory and I had believed all of the hype that my friends and family had fed to me for so many years. I purchased the book I wanted and headed out to get a Mac. This time, though, I was going almost whole-hog... I purchased a Quad-Core Mac Pro and a 23" ACD. Plus odds and ends. Lots of them. I got home and it was as if a light switch had been turned on. I got it, finally.

That may sound strange, or may sound juvenile... I don't know. But what I do know is, as others have said, that I should never have waited so long to switch. The Mac is excellent, the OS is excellent, and the software availability is top-notch. I am finding that by and large the software available for the Mac is better than comparable software for the PC. Not always, of course, but usually.

I don't believe for a second that the Mac is bullet proof. It's not. Don't ever believe that one system (PC or Mac) is infallible. Don't believe that everything "just works" even if that is a slogan of Apple. Understand that Macs are still computers and are capable of bizarre behavior. However, I am finding that my interaction with the computer is easier, more enjoyable, and most importantly, more productive.

I don't shun Windows machines, per se, but I don't ever see myself using one again (except for work where I have no choice). I don't even plan on using a virtual machine. No need, at least for me. Photoshop, Lightroom, Logic Studio, Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Final Cut Studio 2... everything I use when at home is available, works great, and does exactly what I need and want.

Oh, and there really is something to the whole "Mac experience" thing. Check out the packaging and the presentation. Consider this... Good food is good food, but better presentation makes dining a better experience. This definitely applies to Apple products... excellent hardware and software with just the right presentation to set the atmosphere for your use and enjoyment of the product. Sounds corny, I'm sure, but it's true. Just check it out...

Oh, and there really is something to the whole "Mac experience" thing. Check out the packaging and the presentation. Consider this... Good food is good food, but better presentation makes dining a better experience. This definitely applies to Apple products... excellent hardware and software with just the right presentation to set the atmosphere for your use and enjoyment of the product. Sounds corny, I'm sure, but it's true. Just check it out...
This was the part that really did it for me. To tell the truth I never really thought about it, but I would have to say that I was seduced by the presentation and how much easier it was to get things done on a mac. Very well put!!