Apple releases the MacBook Air!

Today! Steve called it "The World's Thinnest Notebook".

Thickness: 0.16" to 0.76"

13.3" screen (LED backlit)

Magnetic latch

iSight

MacBook-like keyboard

Multi-touch trackpad (!)

80GB 1.8" HD

64 GB SSD option

2GB RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz or 1.8 GHz

USB 2.0

Micro-DVI

Audio out

802.11n

Bluetooth 2.1/EDR

No optical drive

5 hour battery life

$1,799

Pictures: http://www.macrumorslive.com/

Edited by David Nahmani

I don't think it's designed as a 'pro music' machine...but, it's a lot more advanced and portable than a regular macbook.

the new TimeCapsule is BRILLIANT. Combine a server-grade harddrive WITH your Airport connection for 'time machine' backups, file sharing, etc...DAMN..that is very, very cool. No more little hard drives hanging off my MBP...

bit stupid i s'pose...just seen it on apple site....no way, optical drive

v. expensive

and just got a really bad taste in my mouth when i saw the processor ratings....1.6 or 1.8......it's not like they don't already have the chips....how many months do you reckon before they just churn out the (probably already boxed) 2.0 c2d's....

at this price and with all the other compromises, i feel they coulda started with 2.0

all that money only pays for the weight and slimness...oh and the touchpad....useable screen size still necessitates the same size footprint........

definately a 'style- over- substance' issue....i'm dissapointed in apple....for the 1st time

Today! Steve called it "The World's Thinnest Notebook".

Thickness: 0.16" to 0.76"

13.3" screen (LED backlit)

Magnetic latch

iSight

MacBook-like keyboard

Multi-touch trackpad (!)

80GB 1.8" HD

64 GB SSD option

2GB RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz or 1.8 GHz

USB 2.0

Micro-DVI

Audio out

802.11n

Bluetooth 2.1/EDR

No optical drive

5 hour battery life

$1,799

Pictures: http://www.macrumorslive.com/

yeah...pricey for such NON-pro specs.

Whew! at least now i dont want one!

kinda pretty...i dunno, a little PCish in shape..

overall i think it will be KILLER for the average consumer,

but not to any of the pro users in this forum.

:)

I'm not getting one, but maybe if I spent more time in planes I would consider it. In fact if I spent a LOT of time in planes I would surely buy it. But since I only fly a few times a year, I don't need one: I'll continue to annoy my neighbors with my 15" MacBook Pro. :wink:

But even if I'm not getting one I'm quite excited as it announces a new step in the history of computers. Not a super important revolutionary stepping stone, no, just a little step forward. Ever closer.

I think the next revolutionary stepping stone is going to be the next Apple touch-screen portable computer. Now THAT will blow me away (I hope). Something about the same size or slightly smaller than the MacBook Air, but no freaking keyboard or multi-touch trackpad: just a big multi-touch screen. Like a big iPhone.

That Time Capsule thing looks like a great idea, and the 500G one is not too expensive.

bit stupid i s'pose...just seen it on apple site....no way, optical drive

v. expensive

and just got a really bad taste in my mouth when i saw the processor ratings....1.6 or 1.8......it's not like they don't already have the chips....how many months do you reckon before they just churn out the (probably already boxed) 2.0 c2d's....

at this price and with all the other compromises, i feel they coulda started with 2.0

all that money only pays for the weight and slimness...oh and the touchpad....useable screen size still necessitates the same size footprint........

definately a 'style- over- substance' issue....i'm dissapointed in apple....for the 1st time

For what they're going for with it, I think it's absolutely brilliant.

This is DEFINITELY not meant as a pro music computer. Jobs was comparing it to the little Sony model, various incarnations of which I have had, and which is really meant for business and academic traveling types. For that the Sony has always been in a class of its own. And the 3 lb. size is key. My wife actually sold her 4.5 lb. and slim IBM Thinkpad to get one of those 3 lb. Sonys because anything above that 3 lb. level turns if from being like you've got a book in your bag to knowing you have a computer in there. I'd be very surprised if I didn't see one of these new Macs sitting on her desk at some point in the coming months.

Also, the lack of an optical drive is a non-issue for this model as well. If you watch the product tour, you can see that the only reasons you'd really need one for this computer are pretty much covered. I don't actually use my superdrive in my MacBook Pro much anymore. Certainly never to play CDs, and only rarely to watch DVDs, both of which have wireless, non-disc alternatives now. Plus that remote optical drive business they include with the Mac Book Air looks pretty cool. Particularly good for the necessities of installing software. And if you feel that you absolutely must have a drive, you can get the external one (or even a cheaper non-Apple one). I already have an external optical drive that I paid, I think, $60 for a couple of months ago. Works great.

As for money for the small size, this is pretty standard. With ultraportables, you pay for what you don't get. The smaller, the more expensive. You could pay one third the price for a Dell that is faster. But it would weigh three times as much.

Overall, for its intended market, the Mac Book Air is actually both cheaper and more powerful than its direct, stated competition (the Sony Vaio ultraportables)...

...plus it's a Mac. 8)

v. expensive

and just got a really bad taste in my mouth when i saw the processor ratings....1.6 or 1.8......it's not like they don't already have the chips

Actually, they don't have the chips. Intel made a custom chip specifically for the MBA. It's as wide as a dime and as thick as a nickel. There is some real state of the art stuff going on in this laptop in terms of electronics and design. It's just that Apple is coming out with this stuff first and prices are high. I wouldn't get one, but I bet the Ivanka Trumps out there would.

guess i'm showing my tech ignorance.....oh well...

note to self...."think first, talk later"

so, to clarify....to install any kind of software you would need an external drive ???

i get that it's no pro logic machine...but you could use it to sketch out ideas and get a few tracks going off the internal, when flying round the world

like vm1971 said....i'm glad they didn't release something that i wanted :D

And I think it's really only a spaceholder for now, getting people used to the MacBook Air while the price of flash memory comes down. The flash memory option is $1300 more expensive at this point. But that will be some serious speed for you, and should be reasonably priced before too long. :)

In the meantime, for the sorts of things that people will likely be doing on this, I'm sure 4200 will be plenty fast enough.

As for the Newton reference, we'll see. But I'd be pretty surprised if these things didn't do really well. There are a LOT of Mac-type people out there who have been buying Vaios for years for lack of a better stylish ultraportable option. Look out Sony stores, the Apple store just got as sleek and cool. (with the obligatory: 8) )

am I being too weird think that whole 'flash memory' thing is NOT a good idea for a laptop?? Fine for camera's and stuff tho.... Don't know why I think this way..

Yeah, I'm not sure about the speeds, are they quicker?

However, they should be great for saving battery power.

Another possible practical fault of this book, I just heard a techy reviewer on G4 channel say that Airbook has no user-replaceable battery. Might not be a problem, but with Apple's past of battery recalls, this model could create some loooooong lines at the ole' genius bar.

am I being too weird think that whole 'flash memory' thing is NOT a good idea for a laptop?? Fine for camera's and stuff tho.... Don't know why I think this way..

I don't know either!

Solid State Drives are the future. Compared to hard drives, they are faster, don't need a spin-up, read faster, have incredibly fast seek times, has a longer lifetime, do not contain moving parts, so they don't need much power and don't generate heat, are more mechanically reliable, handle extreme shock really well (perfect for laptops).

SSDs is to the Hard Drive what the CD was to the Vinyl when people just started buying the first and really expensive CD players.

Once price comes down and capacity goes up we'll all use SSDs. And you'll never hear the word "fragmentation" ever again.

There are a LOT of Mac-type people out there who have been buying Vaios for years for lack of a better stylish ultraportable option. Look out Sony stores, the Apple store just got as sleek and cool. (with the obligatory: 8) )

Here in Hong Kong you still see a surprising number of 12inch G4s and the smaller Vaios and the small Dell models are very, very popular.

just watched the keynote speech

all of my questions were answered.......shoulda watched it before posting earlier

and yes, it's very cool.......but, no...i neither need or want one...... :)

just glad i over-guessed my needs when i bought my macbook pro last year, cos it still is all the computer i need, and is still good-looking enough for me not to lust after another

for the first time in my life, i'm happy with what i've got ('puter-wise)....and this goes for logic too......(choir exalts 'hallelujah :!: :!: :!: )

I think the next revolutionary stepping stone is going to be the next Apple touch-screen portable computer. Now THAT will blow me away (I hope). Something about the same size or slightly smaller than the MacBook Air, but no freaking keyboard or multi-touch trackpad: just a big multi-touch screen. Like a big iPhone.

Yeah i also am looking out for that one :D i can't wait to use a multi-touch screen to control my mixer from logic :P :P