Is there a grabber tool in Logic to move arange area?

mauve

Like in Adobe or Live?

Especially when zoomed in, I want to be able to grab the whole arrange area, not just a region, and move it to where I want it. Fast and efficient.

Is there such an option in Logic? And if not how do you live without it?

Thanks.

Like in Adobe or Live?

Especially when zoomed in, I want to be able to grab the whole arrange area, not just a region, and move it to where I want it. Fast and efficient.

Thanks.

It is a little different but essentially I think the Marquee Stripe, new in L8, is what you are looking for.

Check the built in Late Breaking News pdf, pages 16-17.

I'm not sure what your looking for but you could try pressing CTRL-SHIFT!

CTRL_SHIFT does not work on an audio region, only on MIDI regions and the background so it makes it unusable :(

which is absolutely illogical since you don't really edit MIDI in arrange window.

Like in Adobe or Live?

Thanks.

It is a little different but essentially I think the Marquee Stripe, new in L8, is what you are looking for.

Actually that PDF illustrates precisely what I mean. A simple grabber tool which allows me to move the page easily and. This would be essential in a DAW.

Now, Marquee Stripe thingy is another example of introducing a semi- redundant feature instead of something usefull.

I can use Marquee tool by simply pressing Command....

Like in Adobe or Live?

Thanks.

Actually that PDF illustrates precisely what I mean. A simple grabber tool which allows me to move the page easily and. This would be essential in a DAW.

Now, Marquee Stripe thingy is another example of introducing a semi- redundant feature instead of something usefull.

The Marquee Stripe is VERY useful. It selects the portions of ALL the regions in the area you select, allowing you to move, copy, or delete them.

It may not be what you want but it certainly is not "semi-redundant."

Like in Adobe or Live?

Thanks.

The Marquee Stripe is VERY useful. It selects the portions of ALL the regions in the area you select, allowing you to move, copy, or delete them.

May be it is not, but why can't it be done simply by using already existing "Select inside locators" to make it more efficient.

Like in Adobe or Live?

Thanks.

May be it is not, but why can't it be done simply by using already existing "Select inside locators" to make it more efficient.

To do what the Marquee Stripe does you would have to first set the locators and then use the key command which have to be "Cut Inside Locators and Select" or such. I am not convinced at the end of the day that is more efficient, but that is subjective.

Whether you do or not, I believe I have shown you the best way to perform the task. And in any DAW the way to use it effectively is to learn how it thinks and adapt your workflow to it rather than trying to make it behave the way another does, as each DAW does things in a way that different users will find more/less efficient.

Edited by Ashermusic

CTRL_SHIFT does not work on an audio region, only on MIDI regions and the background so it makes it unusable :(

which is absolutely illogical since you don't really edit MIDI in arrange window.

That was why I said I wasn't sure. :wink:

CTRL - Shift before pressing the mouse button gives you a 4-pointed Arrow Tool that enables a kind of Hand-behavior like in Photoshop.

I've never used Live so I wasn't sure what you were looking for...

If you want to move a selection of one ore more regions you could use the Marquee-Tool as stated above!

That was why I said I wasn't sure. :wink:

CTRL - Shift before pressing the mouse button gives you a 4-pointed Arrow Tool that enables a kind of Hand-behavior like in Photoshop.

I've never used Live so I wasn't sure what you were looking for...

If you want to move a selection of one ore more regions you could use the Marquee-Tool as stated above!

This does not work on Audio regions :(

Like in Adobe or Live?

Thanks.

To do what the Marquee Stripe does you would have to first set the locators and then use the key command which have to be "Cut Inside Locators and Select" or such. I am not convinced at the end of the day that is more efficient, but that is subjective.

Whether you do or not, I believe I have shown you the best way to perform the task. And in any DAW the way to use it effectively is to learn how it thinks and adapt your workflow to it rather than trying to make it behave the way another does, as each DAW does things in a way that different users will find more/less efficient.

y

It does not work the same way the Grabber would.

How do you move the "page" when zoomed? For example, I am editing an audio region and need to see a part of it that is on the right or left, not visible. So I need to move to see that part. Using those arrows on the bottom is very inefficient.

What's the way to do it fast?

Or just grab the scroll bar above the editor tabs.

Is it normal that when I use "Shift Marquee Selection Left/Right" with the SHIFT+Home/End key shortcut it does not snap to grid?

I mean, say I select 2 bars and then shift the Marquee selection it does not go by subdivision increments, so when I shift it back to those 2 bars, the sides of the selection does not snap to grid.

How do you move the "page" when zoomed? For example, I am editing an audio region and need to see a part of it that is on the right or left, not visible. So I need to move to see that part. Using those arrows on the bottom is very inefficient.

What's the way to do it fast?

I use the scroll ball on the mighty mouse to do this (not applicable if you're using a laptop trackpad, I guess - but if you're on a newer laptop you might see if the 'use two fingers on the trackpad to scroll around' works in Logic...)

you dont have to do anything fancy at all

just use the scroll ball on your mouse.

if your pointer is in the arrange window

the scrooll ball on the mouse moves the page

left or right as far as twice the project length

you dont need to "grab" like you do in llive6

just scroll left or right or up down with the mouse ball.

dont click or hold anything. just hover the pointer

inside the arrange window and scrooooolllll.

how far and how fast depends on your zoom levels

Is it normal that when I use "Shift Marquee Selection Left/Right" with the SHIFT+Home/End key shortcut it does not snap to grid?

I mean, say I select 2 bars and then shift the Marquee selection it does not go by subdivision increments, so when I shift it back to those 2 bars, the sides of the selection does not snap to grid.

yes. shift+home/end will snap to the nearest transient. it's got nothing to do with the grids.