Spectrasonics new synth...!

40-50 gig library....sheesh.....

maybe it should ship pre-installed on a drive

Are sound designers getting lazy with size optimization? Eric designed the Roland JV-2080 with 16 megs of rom! Is this thing really going to be 3000 times better?

Well at least now we'll have a synth to recreate the THX jingle! :lol:

Ha! yeah, I wasn't too impressed with that "one sound" demo. There's not much info about the actual architecture of the thing. Is it an actual synth, or just another of Spectrasonics sample layering machines with a few token "synth" features? Seeing the size of the library it will include, I'm kind of suspecting the latter. We'll see!

Well at least now we'll have a synth to recreate the THX jingle! :lol:

Ha! yeah, I wasn't too impressed with that "one sound" demo. There's not much info about the actual architecture of the thing. Is it an actual synth, or just another of Spectrasonics sample layering machines with a few token "synth" features? Seeing the size of the library it will include, I'm kind of suspecting the latter. We'll see!

Check out the FAQ on the Omnisphere site, seems to be more than a rompler! It's a "powerhouse synth that competes with the finest hardware and software synths at any level".

"...(it) has real DSP oscillators that allow Hard Sync, FM, PWM......realtime manipulation features like Granular Synthesis, Timbre Shifting, Polyphonic ring modulation..."

They also go on to explain they are not ruling out the ability for users to import their own samples into it in the future.

Spectrasonics rarely blow their own trumpet without good reason. Despite the sound demo I have a feeling this is going to be one must-have versatile synth come september.

I watched the first demo this morning at NAMM (1.5 hours worth!!).. It's indeed an amazing machine, both from the synth aspect of it, as well as the samples...And, yes.it's a HUGE library..

My brain was spinning with all the sound design capability this will provide. Of course...all of us let out a collective 'awwwwww' when Eric said it wouldn't be out until september :(

I got a one-on-one at the NAMM Spectrasonics booth late today for about 20 minutes. I'll probably see the whole demo tomorrow. It is definitely the successor to Atmosphere. It's like Atmosphere on steroids.

Here are some salient features:

1. It includes the original Atmosphere core libary, plus a lot of new sounds (40+GB).

2. I saw that it has all the standard filtering, modulation, etc of subtractive synthesis as well as FM and an exceptionally nice-sounding granular synth built in. Of course, you can layer multiple synth methods, or crossfade them based on keyboard range, etc.

3. It has the standard RMX-like FX rack

4. It has a very cool arpeggiator that can sync to RMX loops. For instance, you can create an arpeggio but then drag an RMX loop into Omnisphere and it will track the arp with the feel of the RMX loop. In other words you can change the arp from a blues shuffle to a rumba feel just by dragging a different RMX loop into it.

5. Interesting, that my first impression of that "single sound" was "THX" when I heard it live today as well. Just remember that there are over 40GB that ship as part of the core library and they aren't all pads or textures by any means.

Atmosphere owners will get a discount when it becomes available.

it has been designed from ground up as a ub :D

im all about cool sounds and programming and all that stuff...

but nowadays, we already have tooooo many options.... it becomes overwhelming and sometimes the idea of where to start and what to buy stifles the natural creative flow! i LOVE the options and toys, DONT get me wrong... but sheeesh.

will one person tap into all this "power" in one lifetime?

and how many people really use these wild, over the top sounds in a good way?

i know lots of electronic music DOES.... but usually its done with lots of unique components, not one program.

im not anti-new synth...but... whats next? plus i agree...that 1 sound demo was lame. i can do that at home in 10 minutes. in a SYNTH, i wanna hear crap i may not have heard yet.

ever since ive been reading keyboard magazine since the late 80's... anytime NIN was in there it was eye opening. he's a true electronic sound designer who rarely uses things so outrageous, right outta the box.

:)

i get what you are saying about too many options, but i would sell my mum for this synth........not because of the sound possibilities for me, but for the presets that eric persing will give us with this technology

atmosphere is absolutely the most enjoyable synth i've ever played....i could spend hours, fixed in a trance-like state just PLAYING those patches....and the fact that i couldn't heavily manipulate them never even crossed my mind....i became a one man tangerine dream

though i aspire to sound design, i am a preset junkie....not because i'm lazy, but because i'm a musician not a sound designer....i don't have the time to sit for hours tweaking subtle nuances, i need huge banks of 'useable' sounds that with slight tweaking or use of effects can be integrated into the bigger picture that is the composition

and i don't think that sound was lame, just maybe not what i was expecting from the successor to atmosphere.....anyways, apparently there is another video scheduled for the 22nd of this month, and continuing up till the release

honestly, vince, if you got wet about battery 3, check out atmosphere, the core library of which will be included in omnisphere

i would buy this product 'on faith' and should they give the option to pre-order, i will post a link to 'my mum' on ebay

i get what you are saying about too many options, but i would sell my mum for this synth........not because of the sound possibilities for me, but for the presets that eric persing will give us with this technology

atmosphere is absolutely the most enjoyable synth i've ever played....i could spend hours, fixed in a trance-like state just PLAYING those patches....and the fact that i couldn't heavily manipulate them never even crossed my mind....i became a one man tangerine dream

though i aspire to sound design, i am a preset junkie....not because i'm lazy, but because i'm a musician not a sound designer....i don't have the time to sit for hours tweaking subtle nuances, i need huge banks of 'useable' sounds that with slight tweaking or use of effects can be integrated into the bigger picture that is the composition

and i don't think that sound was lame, just maybe not what i was expecting from the successor to atmosphere.....anyways, apparently there is another video scheduled for the 22nd of this month, and continuing up till the release

honestly, vince, if you got wet about battery 3, check out atmosphere, the core library of which will be included in omnisphere

i would buy this product 'on faith' and should they give the option to pre-order, i will post a link to 'my mum' on ebay

AHAHHAH!

i love your enthusiasm ... like me!!!!

i respect what you say, 1000000%. we all have different needs and desires, so its alll oK!

im a musician, mainly too. but i really get into sound design for my stuff. it stands out a little more for what i do, and i became kinda notorious for it in my circle of musician pals. they turn to me for the stuff that is usable but different.

and sometimes, my track will only need a stock preset! then, SO BE IT!

so its all ok. i get what youre saying...

and thanks to you,

IM MORE CURIOUS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

i will give it [and the teaser movies] my full attention.

i think my main gripe is personal..........

lots of options make me hyper and over excited!!!! hahah!

thanks pal!!!

Enjoy!!!!

V

:lol:

Where is a good web site to see more demos of these programs as the new stuff comming out at namm. It seem last years NAMM was more televised on the web. I cant seem to find many videos on the new stuff there or is everyone waiting for the weekend?

I'm sure it will be amazing, the other poster who mentioned the library coming on an external drive actually had a very good idea never thought of that, a simple usb 100 gig drive isn't that expensive and it would totally simplify the install needs of the software, and wouldn't add that much onto the retail price (I mean the thing isn't gonna be cheap anyway so whats a extra 50 quid on the price) Looks amazing the demo was very THX startup tone as the other poster said, but did enough for a teaser to get everyone excited :)

there is a company that is releasing a massive drum library on its own hard-drive

but, actually for me, i wish i had more internal drive space....on a macbook pro the portability starts to become an issue

i have 35gig left of the original 90.....i'll see what i can do