Preamps? what to get?

The Avalon is a vey nice preamp. API A2D is another affordable preamp with a lot of headroom. The best things with the API is that you have 2 good preamps, insert points and a great AD converter that can be used for everything.

Neve got a new killer out with four channels as well. Avalon is a tube preamp and that could mean that you get a bit colored sound even if it is top class.

The Avalon is a vey nice preamp. API A2D is another affordable preamp with a lot of headroom. The best things with the API is that you have 2 good preamps, insert points and a great AD converter that can be used for everything.

Neve got a new killer out with four channels as well. Avalon is a tube preamp and that could mean that you get a bit colored sound even if it is top class.

Not a fan of that Avalon thing. I could get OK sounds out of it for any given sound, but as soon as you start stacking up a mix (especially if this is 'the' preamp) things get hazy and dull... IMO, of course. Tube circuit design is much more difficult to pull off than solid state, but if you want a tube strip, I would recommend the UA 6176.

Can't go wrong with API tho, I have the box with the 4 312's and I love it. No insert points, but whatever. I also have the Great River MP2-NV which is comparable both in build quality and sonics (does have insert points, and an output trim control which is cool). Dakings are really nice, too, if pricey. A guy I worked with recently just got some of those True Systems Precision things, and he loves them.

well this is a big subject and you could loose alot of cash!!!

i also dont like the avalon but it works and plenty of folk do(very boring)

api are legends but i dont have one(i would like one)

i vote a

http://www.chandlerlimited.com/products/tg2.php

they are reasonably priced and as good as it gets

i love them and use them all the time

xxx

It would be easy to generalize and recommend one preamp, and if I were going to do that I would likely say API as I've long loved their sound, generally speaking.

But if you play one instrument and you want one just for that, then the holy grail is in finding the right mic and preamp combo that sound golden for that instrument and your style of playing. Kind of like shopping for an electric guitar and amp. Together they make up the instrument's sound. It's a lot like that for mics and preamps.

Just food for thought.