New to Mainstage: A Question and a Poll

Kabuki

Is Mainstage's GUI bloated and unneccesary?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is Mainstage's GUI bloated and unneccesary?

• Yes
    • No

I have a MBP, so this doesn't really affect me directly, but I am trying to help out a friend replace their former, well equipped keyboardist and his awesome gear, for as cheaply as possible: i.e. a MB running Mainstage. Until now, I never noticed the rediculous video requirements for this app.

Does anyone know of a forum or petition to sign that is urging Apple to lowere the over-blown graphics requirements (as in "get rid of the 3D, pulsing cartoons")?

Is it just me or does this seem rediculous and silly for a music app where the only person looking at it is a musician on stage? WHY is it necessary for anyone to see a rendered keyboard? Couldn't this be done with a good-old 2-D, non-animated GUI?

Until now, I never noticed the rediculous video requirements for this app.

MainStage works on every currently shipping Mac and pretty much every machine that was released in the last 2-3 years or so.

MainStage uses the graphics card to render instead of the CPU. The graphics card is commonly not used by audio applications, therefore it can be used to lower the load on the CPU.

yeah..and it really doesnt seem bloated to me. but i have no doubts your having trouble. i can max out my mbp pretty quick if i dont watch it.

But this has nothing to do with the graphics. It just part of the real-world, that you can add and add till the system is maxed out. There is no limit that says: you can't add more.

• 1 month later...
yeah..and it really doesnt seem bloated to me. but i have no doubts your having trouble. i can max out my mbp pretty quick if i dont watch it.

But this has nothing to do with the graphics. It just part of the real-world, that you can add and add till the system is maxed out. There is no limit that says: you can't add more.

That's a good point. You only know you've reached the limit when the audio cuts out or voices start to limit.

I like the graphics, but I find it challenging to make a layout which is both useful and nice to look at.