Controller for Logic 8 with faders

Well, technically, a controller still keeps the sound In the Box. If you are looking for an out of the box solution, then a controller isnt what you are looking for.

I think many of us here are waiting the verdict on the Euphonix MCMix. That looks to be a pretty sweet little set up.

:?: I get a little gushy at the Euphonix name too, and there is incredible buzz for the two new products in the 1 - 1.5k range, but I'm a little confused - how are these better than or even comparable to the functionality provided by the Mackie MCUfor $1200?. I am a Logic (and DAW) newbie so if the Mackie units rot or the Euphonix units offer something spectacular let me know, but Mackie touts incredible integration, 9 100mm Penny and Giles motorized faders with infinite (?) expandability for pretty cheap, a weighted jog wheel and many more function buttons than the euphonix stuff. I am just wondering what Euphonix is adding to the game that hasn't been done already :?:

It doesn't get more out of the box than this one - successor to Mackie product called Logic Control, designed specifically for Logic. Has other formats which it supports now with drop-in overlays for them, but the control values painted on the unit are specific to Logic.

Look, none of these products allow you to work 'out of the box'. 'Out of the box' means that you are summing channels on an analogue mix bus - a summing box or a traditional mixing desk. These things are not mixers, they are controllers for the functions of your DAW. Nothing will sound any different if you buy this box, nor will expensive P&G faders improve the sound of your mixes unless they are in the signal path.

I'm not saying don't buy these products, because they can be very helpful in streamlining your workflow, writing intuitive automation moves, etc, and generally 'humanizing' your DAW usage.

Just make sure that you are clear about what they do and do not do.

Let's be clear(er), if you mean that you want a piece that will do all or most of the functions involved in mixing in particular, (rides, level adjust, panning, eq adjustment, etc etc) but you DON'T care if it has pres or actually ANY audio or input functions other than providing a mixing board metaphor, then you want a "Control Surface", of which there are many.

Soooooo, in my case I have one of the original Emagic Controls, built by Mackie, and basically the same thing as what's come from them afterwards, and I can't tell you the difference it makes in working.....it's HUGE....for me at least.

I mixed one of my CD's totally "ie the box" with a mouse, and I'd rather sell shoes than do that again, so getting this thing was life-changing.

That said, the SAVE function doesn't work with L8, and I've seen others here verify that. Everything else is cool so far, so I'll live....