song writing tips in logic

this is how i just started writing music, I think its a great way to get your true song "on paper".

I posted this in my "Please criticize" thread,

( http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=12343&highlight= ) but i think it might get read here ;)

What I do is I start a new song with one mono audio track with my mic as the input.

Then I add an instrument track and make it a piano.

Then I activate both tracks and record.

I dont use a click, I just begin to sing and use triads (three piano notes) just to find the correct key but the only recording i need is the vocal at this point.

The tempo and melody come from my intuition and I just sing and sing till i get one good starting phrase.

After I have the phrase, I decide if its 4/4, 6/8 or whatever. Then I make the correct adjustments in the song.

After that I create a new audio track and just record myself slapping my leg to the tempo.

then i add a BPM counter plugin to that track after its recorded.

the computer automatically tells me what tempo it is in.

Then i change the temp to match

Then I mute the original voice and re record that first phrase

then I do the piano part

Once I have the phrase with my vocal and piano, I put a simple drum beat in and loop that.

Now I have a template to write a whole song.

So for the second phrase, I make a fourth audio track, click record, and sing over the top of the first phrase just to get the feeling again and again with my intuition my mind forms the second phrase. As I do this, the first part of the piano and voice stops and I just continue to sing over the drum track.

I have the song on loop through the second phrase so I can do this as many times as I need to until I get it just right.

then i cut out the best one and use the first phrase and second phrase together in the song to find the piano and beat change which come naturally.

I do this for the whole song (ie hook, verse, solo/bridge etc...)

This has worked great for me, and I suggest you try it if you are having trouble writing music using software.

Also, as soon as I get this first song done, I will post it in the thread below.

( http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=12343&highlight= )

Let me know how this works for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Peace guys

When it comes down to it music is just phrases.

You can get into the whole structure thing later, as the Edge of U2 once said, "everything is abstract before used in a specific structure" as in for example a modern pop contemporary song format or classical piece.

I think the best way to capture your ideas is to carry a device on hand that can record them., then later in logic o any DAW you can re tarck with full blown gear.

Also, i find allot of people bring new tracks all done with there voice!, i am talking drum beat to whatever, not final but the exact ideas in there heads.

I tell you, if anyone made a portable palm held device that allowed people to record multiple tracks it would do wonders.

I see allot of mobile phones have the garage band dj type features of mixing up loops etc, but when they can record and allow you to arrange parts that you can later export via WAV files into logic, then this would really help capture ideas.