PT 7.4 at LA NAMM

LA NAMM:

PT 7.4 Elastic Time is the bomb for unlimited creativity - I actually got to use it for editing audio *by myself* today. (the PT demo guy said it was time for his lunch break, so he left me with the console running 7.4 LE). This is a tool you can't totally appreciate until you use it - if Logic and others don't answer it effectively, then the DAW world will become even more lopsided. It truly is the new future of digital audio whether it fits Logic user's purist world-view or not.

9 out of 10 edits I tried sounded very usable, and they were definite musical improvements - this is dynamite in the hands of any tasteful musician or producer!

~Rad~

It's funny, Ableton Live is built around elastic audio, which they basically invented (Not to start an argument,) and have been perfecting for 5+ years or so.

It really is strange to me that it has taken this long for Pro Tools to catch up, and of course Logic isn't even there yet. Cubase and Sonar use this concept in different ways in their DAW's as well. Don't know about DP though.

I was really hoping there would be some kind of upgrade or new version, etc... addressing the vacant elastic audio capabilities in Logic at this years NAMM. It's only a day old yet, but I don't hold out much hope...

oh well, here's to someday... :?

My understanding is that Elastic Audio in PT7.4 is somewhat different from that used In Ableton Live. Now it's been a while since I've used Live (never been my cup of tea) but I understood that the audio stretching was mainly for playing songs and clips and different tempos.

I think PT's Elastic Audio is quite different from that.

Yes I used Cubase's version in SX3 and when it worked, it sounded very good, trouble was that it was inconsistent and would quite often add horrible audio artefacts.

In my mind, there is absolutely no doubt that LP8 is a long way behind the rest of the world in Elastic Audio and just audio editing in general. I know that there are various work arounds - but (to me) it needs to added to LP8 properly. Not that i can see it happening in LP8!

All the best

LA NAMM:

PT 7.4 Elastic Time is the bomb for unlimited creativity - I actually got to use it for editing audio *by myself* today. (the PT demo guy said it was time for his lunch break, so he left me with the console running 7.4 LE). This is a tool you can't totally appreciate until you use it - if Logic and others don't answer it effectively, then the DAW world will become even more lopsided. It truly is the new future of digital audio whether it fits Logic user's purist world-view or not.

9 out of 10 edits I tried sounded very usable, and they were definite musical improvements - this is dynamite in the hands of any tasteful musician or producer!

~Rad~

PT 7.4 has been out for a little while. They're all ready on their 2nd CS upgrade. If you haven't all ready, you might want to read some of the comments on the DUC about it. From what I've read elastic time is a processor hog. Personally I've not upgraded to PT 7.4 yet because of the midi timing issues I've been reading about in it. Bottom line is though that PT and Logic are two different animals...love em for what they are and use em both if you want.

Hi!

I use both..

PT 7.4 still retains RTAS resource hog problems at times, plug-in dependent. VI's are especially susceptible, and two cores/cpus or more seem to exacerbate the situation. Digi has acknowledged this problem, and are supposed to be working on it. I would expect the next update (7.5? Or higher?) to address this, or at least be a stepping stone. To do otherwise would be...erm... :roll:

As for Elastic Audio..

They have said that Elastic Time is the first part. Interpret how you will, but I (and others) see this as a hint toward Elastic Pitch. Maybe a steal from Melodyne/Antares this time? The resource issue is one of a hard drive nature tho, not CPU. Digi has said that 7.4, whether using EA actively or not, incurs a greater draw on hard drive, and drive related resources. Yes, disappointing at best, especially seeing as so many others have it working "properly" ;) Then again, no one knows where Digi is getting their code for EA. With others drawing from 3rtd party devs for their EA and EA like work (one source would be z-plane, makes of "elastique," a nice piece of code work in use by many popular apps), it might make sense that Digi has written their own, and thus- it needs time to mature, at least where resources such as drive use, is concerned. Who knows...

Reaper is implementing it (via z-plane's elastique, I believe...could be wrong ;) ), and very well so far from what I have heard. Once the Mac side is on par with the Windows version, I would love to try it out.

IMO, with the announcement of Digital Performer 6 at this year's NAMM (wicked upgrade, from reports so far; due by end of March...supposedly..lol), Logic 8 grabbing a nice bit of DAW attention, and Reaper playing "underdog" decently, Digi has a BIG leap to make, and if it does not mature and somehow allow LE to coexist a little better with daddy HD still being viable and king...well...Digi simply has to step up, or aside.

Hey Nikki...as far as catching up, yeah. Digi has some of that to do in certain areas (with DP6 showing some cool features) and Logic has some serious catching up to do on the audio side. However, Digi also has a few bugs in the EA engine that cause waveforms to not display correctly all the time.

Digi had nothing really new at NAMM for the DAW market. A Hybrid upgrade and more drum sounds for Strike. What was interesting was in a conversation I had with my Digi guy at NAMM is that he said there would be a big upgrade to PT at AES, but no new hardware. Apparently, there are also more AIR instruments in the works.

Apple had no booth in the big Hall A. That was a huge disappointment for me. They had small room on the 2nd floor. Digi, MOTU, Steinberg, Cakewalk, et al, all had big booths and lots of cool demos. Apple plays to a different drummer than NAMM, obviously.

Apple had no booth in the big Hall A. That was a huge disappointment for me. They had small room on the 2nd floor. Digi, MOTU, Steinberg, Cakewalk, et al, all had big booths and lots of cool demos. Apple plays to a different drummer than NAMM, obviously.

Maybe it's over reactionary on my part but I can't help but get suspicious about Apple's intentions when they make a presence, or lack of presence, like this. On the other hand, maybe their NAMM presence is just an indication that Logic Studio isn't something we'd necessarily buy at a music store. Before Logic 8 came out I was seriously wondering if Apple would take it in another direction and turn it into more of an uber garage band. When Logic Studio came out, I felt that part of what Apple was doing was indicating their continued suppport for this professional line of products. That's what made me jump on their bandwagon. I just hope that, in the near future, they don't see us as too small of a niche market and change their minds.

When Logic Studio came out, I felt that part of what Apple was doing was indicating their continued suppport for this professional line of products. That's what made me jump on their bandwagon. I just hope that, in the near future, they don't see us as too small of a niche market and change their minds.

I don’t even want to think like that, but in reality that MUST be a possibility.

I made a huge investment in changing from Cubase on a PC to Logic on a Mac last year (as I’m sure many have done).

What I didn’t appreciate is that Apple and it’s developers are even further removed from their customers than with Steinberg – a horrible realisation for me.

I still feel (and the flamers can turn on their flame-throwers ready to get me) that most of the changes from LP7 to LP8 were cosmetic and workflow related. To me these were very welcome changes but there didn’t seem to be very many new features.

The biggest “hole” now must surely be what I call “proper” audio editing (non destructive editing with full offline undo history) and full Elastic time capability. Every other serious DAW now has these features (or has had them for a long time): Cubase, Sonar, PT, (I don't know about DP).

Although the release of Logic Studio with its huge audio content, low price and no dongle was VERY impressive; I really am thinking that I’d rather have had LP8 with no audio content, same price as LP7 and, yes, even the dongle, but with serious improvement to its audio editing.

I’m sure others will have their own particular bits of LP7 that needed updating (or writing!) but I have seen many posts talking about the lack of proper audio editing.

One of the reasons I moved away from Steinberg is because of their lack of communication with customers (although that seems to be getting much better). I hadn’t appreciated that Logic customers have no communication at all with the developers. I have to say that worries me a lot. It means we will never have any idea what Apple is going to do with Logic (if anything).

Just my 2 pence!

all of this may be true...but I was pretty blow away by Phil Jacksons PT 7.4/Elastic audio demo. I had no idea it was that cool. Especailly for fixing/doing drums. NO more really need for Beat Detective, as far as I can tell (at least for that application.).

all of this may be true...but I was pretty blow away by Phil Jacksons PT 7.4/Elastic audio demo. I had no idea it was that cool. Especailly for fixing/doing drums. NO more really need for Beat Detective, as far as I can tell (at least for that application.).

So can you just quantize all your drums with one click? Or do you have to move each transient one by one? My guess is there is an automatic quantize mode, right?

I saw some videos a while ago and they looked great, but it was only about moving one attack manually.

it really appears to be a combination of both, David.

Say you have 10 tracks of drums...You highight all those tracks and create a Region Group. That keeps everything in phase. When the proper mode is selected, the transient markers appear, and you can move individual markers on individual tracks, or you can do them all as a group...

It's pretty hard to explain, but it made a lot of sense watching Phil do the demo. I'd check on the DIGI site in a few days after NAMM to see if the demos are up there.. There's a few videos here..WARP Markers are the key...

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=48&langid=100&itemid=28112