Ultrabeat - Logic 7 + splitting midi into individual tracks

Ket

Hi Guys,

I'm (still) using LP7.2 on a macbook pro...

So basically, got a beat (using the soul kit ) from Ultrabeat, dragged the pattern onto the midi track to create a region (great)

Now i wanted to "Split" those midi parts into different tracks to Manipulate each sound, as i want - so i've tired to use the SPLIT MIX/DEMIX function,

and i separated by midi notes (which i figured is the right way, as the other option didn't do squat)

GREAT - have the 5 tracks in the arrange window, each one is a seperate sound...(kick, snare, tom etc etc)

PROBLEM:... i make amends to 1 track and it makes the SAME amend to ALL the other tracks that were associated ( split/demixed) from the original?

i.e. the snare... I change the eq or add something to the insert/plug in list, and/or change the virtual instrument from Ultrabeat to say the ES2) AND ALL the other tracks change... the exact same way ... not what i'm looking for...

QUESTIONS:

1) i'm blatently not really understanding how this works? that somehow the "individual tracks" are not so individual - can someone explain to me?

2) How do i separate them, so that I can essentially use the midi data on that "SNARE" to and amend each part individually?....so that i can change the kit on that snare to say a (garage band kit or Another Ultrabeat Kit)

3) By Splitting it do i "Instantiate" 5 individual ultrabeat instruments OR is it still just the one?.. all a bit confusing to me? i now assume it's the ONE instantiation BUT I guess i want to make them all different instantiations ???

4) is the SPLIT/DEMIX the tool to be using for what i want? OR would you suggest something else?

Cheers for your help...

Ket :)

1. Split/Demix will not create new channel strips, only seperate your beat on the same track/channel strip.

2. It is possible to import other samples into Ultrabeat using Osc. 2.

3. See 1.

4. In a word, no.

To achieve what you want to do, you need to use (and i always do) the multi-channel version of Ultrabeat (there's also a multi-channel EXS24).

Its a little more difficult to set this up in L7 compared to L8, but I think I can remember how it goes.

In the Envirionment create a new layer. You will now create new Aux channel strips to route your drum sounds to. Select New>Audio Object a new channel strip is created. Make this and Aux channel by selecting it in the parameter box.

Now, you can have 14 mono or 7 stereo (or a combination of both) channel strips. Output 1-2 is always reserved for the main output. For now just create another 6 stereo strips.

You will now assign these strips to your multi-channel instrument.

Click on the I/O of the Aux channel, a menu appears, select Ultrabeat 3-4. Repeat up to and including 15-16. Make sure you've already inserted a multi channel Ultrabeat in the mixer, otherwise you won't see it in the menu.

O.k, now your ready to assign your sounds to the Aux channels.

In Ultrabeat, go to the Out section (next to the pan pot) it says Main. Click on it and a menu will appear allowing you to route that sound to you newly created Aux channel.

For mono channels, select 3-4, then pan hard left for 3 and hard right for 4.

It seems like a lot of work but its well worth it.

Let me know how you get on.

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll have a go at that - but the biggest problem for me is I've NEVER delved into the environment (and it's all a bit of a dark art that side.. i get the distinct impression that i could majorly mess things up - to the state of it not working - without even trying too hard...)

I'm not in front of Logic now, and will try this over the next weekend BUT here's a question...

Once the regions have been split, i was just thinking.... maybe i could make NEW MIDI / virtual instrument tracks... COPY the " MIDI region" onto that new track, and do what i want with those tracks right...???? coz those tracks will have separate channel strips etc, I'm literally just using the performance data?

OR have i got this wrong too? and the midi regions are somehow "horded" even after the split/demix thing?....

Anyone know?..

Ket

That would work, but as your productions get more complex you'll have a very messy and full Arrange window and mixer. I think it would probably use more CPU as well.

Don't be scared of messing things up in the Environment, just create a new Layer every time you want to try something new. Make sure to save an Autoload of your current set up so you can always revert back.

Good news is, in L8 this process is simplified to a 'one click' process but its still good to know your way around the Environment. Here you can set up the Arpeggiator, Delay lines and all kinds of stuff, its very powerful.

I used to avoid the Environment like the plague, but once you break the ice it's not so bad.

I've attached a screenshot of my multi channel layer. These are all mono channel of course.

19197822_Picture1.thumb.png.a4af96983d7658065499e1b087b06733.png

Hi there DJAls,

Thanks for your help so far (appreciate it)

I've tried this and got a little stuck.. can you please help?

open the Logic environment-

On the drop down on the left - select **Create!** (that is what i understand as create a new layer)

Drop drop box - create new - audio object (great a channel strip is created

PROBLEM starts here..

• So in the parameter box on the LEFT i make the channel strip AUX (2)

• Then, for some reason (as by looking at your screen grab) - you've INSERTED an ultrabeat as the INPUT - but i can't seem to select an ULTRABEAT as it's input?

Q1) ... so do i some how have to have MAKE an ultrabeat instrument on this layer for it to be selected.by these aux tracks..? this is my main stumbling block???

Q2) how (when i'm back in the arrange window do i "get the spereated sounds?" in the arrange window tracks?...(this is down to me not understanding it, i know)

• do I have to:

- select a midi track and put an ULTRABEAT on the insert

- then select AUX on the outputs from within each voice of ultrabeats outputs?

- and then SELECT THE AUX tracks as the INPUTS on NEW individual midi tracks/channel strips??

But before all that i need to overcome the problem i'm facing in the Environment... ?

I'm just bluntly confused ;)

Thanks so much for helping me out here.

Ket

Hi there DJAls,

Thanks for your help so far (appreciate it)

I've tried this and got a little stuck.. can you please help?

open the Logic environment-

On the drop down on the left - select **Create!** (that is what i understand as create a new layer)

Drop drop box - create new - audio object (great a channel strip is created

PROBLEM starts here..

• So in the parameter box on the LEFT i make the channel strip AUX (2)

• Then, for some reason (as by looking at your screen grab) - you've INSERTED an ultrabeat as the INPUT - but i can't seem to select an ULTRABEAT as it's input?

Q1) ... so do i some how have to have MAKE an ultrabeat instrument on this layer for it to be selected.by these aux tracks..? this is my main stumbling block???

Q2) how (when i'm back in the arrange window do i "get the spereated sounds?" in the arrange window tracks?...(this is down to me not understanding it, i know)

• do I have to:

- select a midi track and put an ULTRABEAT on the insert

- then select AUX on the outputs from within each voice of ultrabeats outputs?

- and then SELECT THE AUX tracks as the INPUTS on NEW individual midi tracks/channel strips??

But before all that i need to overcome the problem i'm facing in the Environment... ?

I'm just bluntly confused ;)

Thanks so much for helping me out here.

Ket

From my previous post "Make sure you've already inserted a multi channel Ultrabeat in the mixer, otherwise you won't see it in the menu. "

What I mean by this is, insert a multi channel Ultrabeat instrument on a new track, by clicking on a track in the Arrange and use that tracks channel strips insert.

If you have not done this before trying to set up the Aux channels, the option to select Ultrabeat 3-4, Ultrabeat 5-6 will not be available to you in the Aux's IO (input/output) slot.

You cannot insert a software instrument on an Aux channel strip.

You route the sounds to the Auxes using the Output section of Ultrabeat. In this menu you will only see numbers i.e 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 etc.

Here are a few more screenshots of what you should be seeing. Notice that Instrument 1 in the Arrange view is also available in the Aux menu. (Instrument 4 is an EXS24 mc)

1st pic. is of the Aux, 2nd the Arrange window.

Good luck!

147897740_Picture2.png.f2d8daf187a1ede6da051f93f29c9dd9.png

1271627680_Picture3.png.a34412201c4868448e5ccfcf06b67e03.png

Ket, there is a great, free, short video tutorial on YouTube that explains the environment. Go to YouTube and search for SFLogicNinja. I think it was either Tip #3, #4, or #5 that was on the environment. It might have been a 2 or 3 parter.

He's got about 20 tutorials now. They are ALL great because they are SHORT and CLEAR and you see what's happening right on the screen.

I am hardly a "power-user" in Logic, but I can't imagine functioning without at least a rudimentary understanding of how to use the environment. If you just learn the BASICS it will make your Logic life so much easier. Check out the Logic Ninja!

Cheers guys,

I've had a quick look over those 2 tutorial, and it looks pretty helpfull... definitely something to get the head around

(I think I've got to understand WHY i would be creating those AUX "objects" / channel strips and not BUS "objects"/channel strips... ??? and still don't get WHY iI have to insert a MC ULTRABEAT on a track BEFORE i create the aux channel strips in the environment???? hmmm ?

and above this, i think i need to understand/learn what the objects really are...

i'll have a look through again, and then try and sort it...

But beyond all that, thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate you making the time to reply, and i'll be definitely checking out the rest of those tutorials..

ket :)