Accessing ONE instance of SampleTank from multiple patches?

janka

Is there a way to use ONE instance of Sampletank in two or more patches? I don´t want to load several Sampletank-audiounits just becuase I use it in two ore more patches. Concert level?

Mainstages way of loading instruments is really stupid to me. Other hosts like Forte and Rax only load an instruments when the actual patch is active. There should be another mode in Mainstage where loading an istrument is done the moment you choose next patch. That way, you wouldn´t need 4 Gb RAM just to make it through the show.

/Anders

Is there a way to use ONE instance of Sampletank in two or more patches? I don´t want to load several Sampletank-audiounits just becuase I use it in two ore more patches. Concert level?

You can put it into a set. With the EXS24 it does not matter, because the overhead for one instance is so low, that you can have as many as you want.

Mainstages way of loading instruments is really stupid to me. Other hosts like Forte and Rax only load an instruments when the actual patch is active.

Loading an instrument can take minutes! If you are on stage playing, you don't want to wait up to a couple of minutes to load your samples for the next patch. MainStage is more like a real software synth than a sample bank switcher: you can sustain a chord _and_ switch to a next patch to continue playing. The sustained chord will continue to sound with the old sound.

Loading an instrument can take minutes! If you are on stage playing, you don't want to wait up to a couple of minutes to load your samples for the next patch. MainStage is more like a real software synth than a sample bank switcher: you can sustain a chord _and_ switch to a next patch to continue playing. The sustained chord will continue to sound with the old sound.

Sampletank-patches load quickly. The instrument itself however use some RAM that I'd rather use for Sampletank patches/samples. I still think Mainstage should have two different modes. One that works like it does today (loading everything at once for those who need that functionality) and another mode for loading upon changing Mainstage-patches. Otherwise you´ll end up needing a concert-file for each song.... Shouldn´t 2 Gb RAM be enough to take you through a show...? I think so....

/Anders

• 4 weeks later...

On the one hand I agree, there should be a way that a person who needs a very large pool to draw from available at any time. That's what hardware keyboards provide. Those sounds are pre-loaded and I have access to hundreds of sounds. In MS, I can only have a few, and that few depends on the plug-ins.

If I want to play a very specific set of sounds, and I happen to know them in advance, MS is more or less ideal for that.

Most of the time, I know what I want, so I'd say it does the right thing. Funny thing is that a Triton doesn't require I load sounds in advance just to play them, but MS sounds so much better than my Triton, that I think its worth working with the limitations.

Also, if I happen to be playing synth sounds, I can have a lot more of these than I can sampled instruments.. MS seems to work very well if I stick to MS's selection of built-in instruments. When I start using Kontakt and Absynth and Massive, its not as economical.

Anyhow.. I guess there is no good solution. Maybe when machines have 32GB RAM, we won't really be thinking about this much.

On the one hand I agree, there should be a way that a person who needs a very large pool to draw from available at any time. That's what hardware keyboards provide. Those sounds are pre-loaded and I have access to hundreds of sounds.

But that is exactly what MainStage does!

The limit to a "few" comes because certain plugins that use up to several GB of memory. Which keyboard has that much memory to begin with?

On the one hand I agree, there should be a way that a person who needs a very large pool to draw from available at any time. That's what hardware keyboards provide. Those sounds are pre-loaded and I have access to hundreds of sounds.

But that is exactly what MainStage does!

The limit to a "few" comes because certain plugins that use up to several GB of memory. Which keyboard has that much memory to begin with?

So, I can have 250 patches pre-loaded?? I've never been able to get past about 80 or so before I have to cut back.

Anyhow, that's a lot of patches.. while not entirely uncommon, its certainly most commonly associated with artists who are improvising or not sure -what- sound they'll need during a performance.

The other nice thing about something like a triton is that all of the sounds are connected via keywords making it easy to go right to a certain class of sounds.

To get this in MainStage, I'd have to do a whole lot of wrangling with Sets to get this kind of convenience.

Besides.. this conversation is somewhat moot -- I mean, MainStage is not really trying to be a triton anyhow. Its a completely different kind of beast.

So, I can have 250 patches pre-loaded?? I've never been able to get past about 80 or so before I have to cut back.

Yes, because on a computer it is dynamic the limit is "only" the available CPU power and memory.

BUT MainStage has a limit of 255 channel strips per concert. If you want to 250 patches, you can only have one channel strip per patch.

Anyhow, that's a lot of patches.. while not entirely uncommon, its certainly most commonly associated with artists who are improvising or not sure -what- sound they'll need during a performance.

Yes, there is a limitation. But you can also combine channel strips in the concert/sets and patches to create sounds and you can easily modify sounds within a patch via your keyboard.

I would be perfectly happy if SampleTank started loading its samples the moment I change a MS-patch. This is the way both RAX and Brainspawn Forte works. Why would I want/need 200 PRELOADED patches? There´s always enough time between two songs to change patches using Sampletank. This is NOT an economic way of using MS or my entire iMac.

/Anders