Kontakt & Logic: Standalone + External better than inter

Student

Hello everyone,

I just discovered a WONDERFUL tool, the "external" instrument in Logic. What it does is treat external synths like internal synths, allowing you to automate, add and route FX just like an internal VI!! WOW!!

Whats REALLY cool is that you can use the same method to route multi-channel standalone VI's back into Logic!! So I'm wondering, which method is better for 3rd party VIs like Kontakt: Running them internally or externally?

Lets take a multi-channel Kontakt for example. To run it internally, you have to setup a multi-instrument in your environment to trigger each midi channel, and then using aux tracks, route the audio signal from Kontakt back into Logic. This means you're using a "midi" instrument for recording your midi data, but must use the aux track for any audio signal routing, FX, etc, making it necessary to have two tracks for every instrument, for if you automate the volume/pan on the midi track, it effects the ENTIRE Kontakt player, and not just the channel you have selected. A real drag!!

However, it seems that if you run Kontakt in standalone mode, and route the signal via the external instrument and soundflower, you now have the ability to write midi data AND route/automate effects for each individual instrument! No need to use the "multi-instrument" to trigger midi at all! Just set the MIDI Destination to your multi-instrument and your standalone Kontakt now acts like a regular internal VI!! WOW!!!

I know I'm probably late to the party here, so let me ask those who've been through this already: Is standalone + External really better than internal+ multi-channel instrument + aux? Are there any disadvantages in the external method I'm missing, because right now its all blue skys!! Of course this is all from me just messing around; I haven't done a project with this method yet...

Thanks in advance for your reply.

The 'external' method provides in fact an elegant solution as it allows to handle the individual Kontakt instruments like ordinary software instruments on single tracks. Note however that soundflower is restricted to 16 channels (8 stereo). Basically one could use 'JackOSX' instead for audio routing which is more powerful, but rather complicated to set up.

it all depends on the use.

if you are working on a film or a TV drama with lots of cues, waiting for each cue to load with all your kontakt samples or VSL plugs and other ones while you have producers and director waiting for each cue to load, not a good thing, best to run standalone with your orchestral sounds and the rest in logic , this way you can also load much more sounds in each standalone, after that it all about how to root the audio back into logic, myself i use jack OSX with 64 channels ( you can create as many ch as you need) going into logic, it those takes time to get around it

Thanks for the note about Jack OSX. I never heard of it, but am downloading it now! Very cool!!

Hricco, to set it up do the following.

1. make sure your IAC driver is active in audio-midi setup utility

2. In logic's environment, link the IAC port to a monitor object so you dont get loopback (THANKS LPH for the tip!)

3. In the environment create a multi-channel instrument and make it send midi out on the IAC.

4. Open Kontakt (or any other standalone VI) and have it receive midi on the IAC

5. In logic, create a virtual instrument track, add the plugin "external" as your input, then within the external plugin select the multi-instrument you created, and you should now be triggering midi from logic into your VI

6. if you want the audio to go BACK into Logic (for FX, reverb, etc) you need to use either soundflower or Jack OX and create "virtual ins-outs" with these programs. To do this in soundflower, create an aggregate device in your audio-midi setup and make logic use this new aggregate audio driver. Then just select the port you want to use in the external instrument and your done! Takes some setup, but IMO it seems to be a much better way of running multi-channel VI's in Logic!

Thanks for the note about Jack OSX. I never heard of it, but am downloading it now! Very cool!!

Please report back your experience with Jack OSX as opposed to soundflower.

Just wanted to mention that there is also a solution without any external midi/audio routing:

You could run 'Plogue Bidule' rewired to Logic and load Kontakt as plugin into Bidule. However, in this case each instrument needs 2 separate tracks in arrange for control of midi and audio, if individual audio processing in Logic is desired.

• 10 years later...

1. make sure your IAC driver is active in audio-midi setup utility

2. In logic's environment, link the IAC port to a monitor object so you dont get loopback (THANKS LPH for the tip!)

3. In the environment create a multi-channel instrument and make it send midi out on the IAC.

4. Open Kontakt (or any other standalone VI) and have it receive midi on the IAC

5. In logic, create a virtual instrument track, add the plugin "external" as your input, then within the external plugin select the multi-instrument you created, and you should now be triggering midi from logic into your VI

6. if you want the audio to go BACK into Logic (for FX, reverb, etc) you need to use either soundflower or Jack OX and create "virtual ins-outs" with these programs. To do this in soundflower, create an aggregate device in your audio-midi setup and make logic use this new aggregate audio driver. Then just select the port you want to use in the external instrument and your done! Takes some setup, but IMO it seems to be a much better way of running multi-channel VI's in Logic!

Trying to make this work. Can someone please explain in simpler terms how to do this? I get stuck at Step 3:

"3. In the environment create a multi-channel instrument and make it send midi out on the IAC."

EDIT: After much trial and error I found the solution myself. Turns out that since I use an Apollo Twin I didn't as much setting up as I thought I would. Using standalone software instruments as external instruments in Logic is actually really cool and super useful!