What!? Bypassing Adaptive Limiter and still getting latency.

DaniGordon

Well, let me explain what's happening.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm recording myself on the drums for some demos.

4 tracks.

Sent all 4 tracks outputs to a bus.

Did first take.

Went to listen to it and insert a Adaptive Limiter to the Aux (bus 1) track just to hear a louder and powerful drums without clipping.

Ok...

Going for a second take.

Now, I BYPASS Adaptive Limiter so I can record without latency.

But...even with Adaptive Limiter bypassed I'm still getting its heavy latency.

Removing it from the insert slot gets everything fine again.

What's the deal?

The thing is bypassed!

Any light?

Is this something to do with routing?

But it's bypassed!

:)

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi Dani,

This is normal.

Whenever you press play, every plug reports its delay to PDC, and that's the only time it happens. All plugs report their processing delay regardless of whether they are bypassed or not.

The bypass is an automate-able real time parameter. If the plug-in reported a 200 sample delay when you pressed play, and then it got bypassed in your sequence, then you stopped and played from there, then the next bar where you un-bypass will still be in sync because the same sample delay was reported.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure my example is clear enough.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi Dani,

This is normal.

Whenever you press play, every plug reports its delay to PDC, and that's the only time it happens. All plugs report their processing delay regardless of whether they are bypassed or not.

The bypass is an automate-able real time parameter. If the plug-in reported a 200 sample delay when you pressed play, and then it got bypassed in your sequence, then you stopped and played from there, then the next bar where you un-bypass will still be in sync because the same sample delay was reported.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure my example is clear enough.

Ok.

I'm almost getting.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more?

And it was always like this?

In Logic 7?

I remember being able to bypass heavy latency induced plug-ins to record without this behaviour.

So, what can I do?

Can't I have a bypassed Adaptive Limiter during the recording process?

Use the new "Low Latency Mode". In the General audio preferences, you can set a limit in the Plugin Delay section. When Low Latency Mode is enabled, any plugin that causes a delay higher than the limit you set will be automatically bypassed while recording.

I'm almost getting.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more?

And it was always like this?

In Logic 7?

Big differences in how PDC is implemented in LP8 now. In any case, brianm's suggestion is the correct procedure now for getting around this.

To elaborate, PDC is always a fixed amount. It can't be dynamic during play. If it was, then if you had 2 high latency plugs on a bus and one of them bypassed during the sequence, then things would get pretty screwed up. Having things fixed, regardless of their state, solves a lot of issues. Things would be a lot uglier otherwise.

This is so bizarre. I was just about to post about this very issue because I had a voiceover session this morning for some retakes. The master output had the Adaptive Limiter on it from bouncing the original files and I immediately noticed latency when recording when I had never had an issue before. Tried bypassing as I normally would have in Logic 7 and the latency was still there. I was about to pull my hair out so I just went with no monitoring for the quick three lines. Good to know that the answer is right here though!!