Audio files playing out of turn, a problem with bounces.

kamarx

Hi guys, I'm a long-time Pro Tools user who has made the switch. 99% of my work is overdubbing audio to pre-existing tracks. I'm starting to get the hang of Logic, but a few things still elude me.

In Pro Tools when recording audio, the last thing recorded is always on top and is what you hear. I find in Logic that sometimes a previous take (audio file) has taken over, and I'm not sure why. Any suggestions?

Also, sometimes when bouncing tracks the bounce has about 20-30 seconds of dead air at the top, and the last 20-30 seconds of the bounce is cut off. I'm always careful to specify my parameters, but.....

Thanks!

KM

If you have several audio files on one track, Logic will always play the one that starts the latest.

ie:

Let's say you have on the same track:

File A from bar 1 to bar 10.

File B from bar 5 to bar 7.

File C from bar 8 to bar 12.

Logic will play File A from bar 1 to bar 5, then switch to File B, switch back to File A from bar 7 to bar 8, and then play File C from bar 8 to bar 12.

Does that make sense?

As far as your bouncing, well, you shouldn't have any dead air before or after what you want to bounce. I'm not sure why you are experiencing that, most probably user error but it's hard to tell without seeing you doing it. Maybe if you give us more details?

Thanks, David! I think that means if I'm punching a spot on a track several times, I need to be careful where I punch each time. Example: If a file starts at bar 5 and I punch over that with a new file starting at bar 4, Logic will switch over to the first file at bar 5, even if the new file is intended to replace it. Make sense? I assume there's not a way to default to the latest (chronologically) file as in PT.

As far as the bounces, I've done about a hundred, it's happened maybe 20% of the time. I've gotten around it by changing the bounce destination or restarting Logic. Both seem to work for a bounce or two. I'm bouncing soloed individual tracks, don't know if that's part of it. Anyway, I may have found a bug, as I've been really careful to specify all parameters, and doing exactly the same thing has resulted in success sometimes and failure sometimes. Thanks again!

..... Auto Create Track in Cycle records.

......on each cycle if you punch in, Logic will put the new recording onto a new track and mute the older ones.

I find that *so* convenient.

All your punch takes are there for you to choose/comp from.

Why does anyone do it any other way ....... ?

:wink:

Guys, thanks for your replies. First of all, I've now found that I don't have a problem if I bounce from the Bounce button on an output channel strip. I was using "Bounce" from the menu before. Whatever works, right?

Cycle record might work well for me working alone, but when I have more musicians recording at once I think it would create way too much work sifting through takes for each person. Is there any Drag setting that would be better than others for keeping the latest regions on top? I haven't worked in Logic the last couple of days so haven't had a chance to try different ones.

Thanks!

KM