Logic 8 update request list

Amin Bhatia

Gang

If someone else has started a thread like this then please add this to that. But I want us each to chime in one request per post to this thread.

Lets make it organized and easy for our illustrious David to take the requests to the development theme ...or fix it himself now that he is Logic The Next Generation.

This one from me:

Can we finally make it possible to import screensets from other songs without Logic having to load them in first. With more songs using virtual instruments this is becoming a real pain. There have been so many improvements in the handling of screensets but this one is woefully overdue for a fix.

Thank you. More to come.

Amin

This is a small one and should be very easy:

We now have alternative key signature and marker lists just like alternative tempo's. GREAT. Thank you. ... BUT

The marker list that appears in the "List" windows has no marker alternatives. I found it in Global Tracks.

We need his function in the list area too please.

Amin

Make it stable on Tiger OR Leopard. How about stable on any machine and then tell us what that machine that might be... Maybe throw out that single core power PC code visually attached to the Dual-Core meter.

All other features and sound ideas don't matter much if the program crashes and core overloads all the time.

sorry for any negativity - I just tried the duet today hoping it might help things and STILL overloading on 3 tracks, only 1 with plugins and APPLE at that.

FIX THE PUNCH OUT PROBLEM THAT WAS ADDRESSED BY APPLE IN LOGIC &!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also virtual tracks/alternate playlists - whatever you want to call them

here is a link about the problem!!!!!!!!!!!

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300043

This is simple.

Do not use the Replace Button.

:lol:

With Logic 8 comp and take functions you do not need to use it anyway.

By the way. Those new L8 functions works perfectly here.

As well as the Punch Out.

Yesterady I just did - for the first time - a 5 mic drum recording comp with great success.

And it was pretty easy and fun to do.

Really liked it.

Yesterady I just did - for the first time - a 5 mic drum recording comp with great success.

Really liked it.

Very cool. How many takes were you juggling? (I'm assuming one mic per track, & all takes from the same session?)

Somebody here said they would never try to comp drum tracks 'cause it wouldn't have a natural flow or something like that. Well, maybe in some situations. But when you are a drummer yourself, you understand how to edit that flow.

Does that make sense?

BTW, were you the drummer?

Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... (as good as PT 7.4 or Live 7 would be great; if you can do 'em one better, I'll send you an extra big christmas card this year) ... you guys can do it!

Pretty please ;)

Really liked it.

Very cool. How many takes were you juggling? (I'm assuming one mic per track, & all takes from the same session?)

Somebody here said they would never try to comp drum tracks 'cause it wouldn't have a natural flow or something like that. Well, maybe in some situations. But when you are a drummer yourself, you understand how to edit that flow.

Does that make sense?

BTW, were you the drummer?

Yeah, I'm the drummer.

The set up was kick, snare, L&R overs and a tom.

Well, I think Logic 8 comping function is great for editing drum takes.

It worked great!

The only problem is that it just worked selecting and enabling the comp "lanes" on just one track.

If I enable the other tracks comp lanes, It didn't work.

How I did it:

I had all the drum tracks in a group.

Recorded 3 takes.

Selected all the regions (automatically with the group settings) and enabled JUST the kick comp tracks.

The other 4 regions were selected but with no comp tracks appearing.

Then, I just make the actual comping in the kick and the other tracks follows the comping.

It was pretty nice.

No clicks and pops.

Very smooth and effective.

The merging and crossfades worked perfectly too.

Of course you have to be careful on where in the regions you do the comp, so you don't cut a cymbal or hi-hat sound.

But this is the same in all DAWS when comping drums.

Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... Elastic Audio ... (as good as PT 7.4 or Live 7 would be great; if you can do 'em one better, I'll send you an extra big christmas card this year) ... you guys can do it!

Pretty please ;)

RADIUS is your friend!!

Pretty please ;)

RADIUS is your friend!!

Shouldn't have to buy an extra for $300 that is standard in most other DAWs these days.

Glad I have LIVE.

Pretty please ;)

RADIUS is your friend!!

Shouldn't have to buy an extra for $300 that is standard in most other DAWs these days.

Glad I have LIVE.

I agree 100%, but this plug is amazing - Has made live redundant for me in terms of production - Check the Demo...

It would be great if Apple could integrate this though!!!!

I'd like Logic to handle multi-channel instruments the same way that Cubase does - without having to go to the environment and create a multi-channel instrument, connecting to its channel strip and then creating extra aux channels etc.

I know that Logic 8 has made the creation of aux channels a lot simpler (I applaud Apple for that at least), but I much prefer Cubase's quick and easy approach - just create a new midi track and assign it to the multi-channel instrument. So much faster and more intuitive and no need to have all those aux and midi tracks cluttering up the arrange page.

Yes, we absolutely need a preview function that works on Ultrabeat. Also, I'd love to have an auto-preview option when using the media browser to browse my own samples. Ok, pressing space isn't that much work but I've used to hear the sample preview whenever i move up or down with arrow keys, just like I did in Reason. Just make an auto-preview checkbox in every sample browser in Logic!

Edit: And I also meant to say that the auto-preview would stay enabled by default until you disable it. Now you have to turn it on every time you open a sample browser that supports the auto-preview.

my number 1 most wanted feature would be so easy to implement...just 1 check box in the prefs for playhead returns to last position on stop. (the key command for this doesn't help when your using an MCU)

other features:

-when using the marquee tool the playhead follows your selections, as well as where you click in the arrange window.

-and option for when in cycle mode the cycle length will follow your selections or selected regions.

-the ability to cut and move other takes when in quick swipe comp mode.

-a smart tool would be cool to, basically a selector and marquee tool that changes depending on the part of the region you are over.

most of these are just features/usability things that I miss from pro tools.

to be able to WRITE / LATCH / TOUCH Automation data into a logic track via a midi controller thats a track rewired from a reason synth / combinator. just got a novation remote sl which controls reason really well but is pointless if i cant record the movments in my DAWs automation!!!!!!!!! drawing them in works but takes a very log time...i want instant recordablity....so i can 'capture the moment'...or work faster.

to be able to WRITE / LATCH / TOUCH Automation data into a logic track via a midi controller thats a track rewired from a reason synth / combinator. just got a novation remote sl which controls reason really well but is pointless if i cant record the movments in my DAWs automation!!!!!!!!! drawing them in works but takes a very log time...i want instant recordablity....so i can 'capture the moment'...or work faster.

Might as well dream along.

* Option to position Playhead by clicking in arrange window, rather than having to mouse up to a narrow bar.

* Software instrument presets (the first 128 at least) accessible by inserting program change in track ... just like external instruments.

* Import/export of MIDI names banklist from simple text file ... allowing collaboration/trading of bank names. Not thousands of people all typing the same stuff.

* Zoom centered on position of playhead. (Subject of zoom remains centered! ... doesn't disappear out of view.)

* Setup 'wizard' for multi-instruments ... which clearly trips up many (most?) users ... similar to OSX 'network assistant'.

OFFLINE PROCESSING!!!!!! If we can do it in soundtrack, why cant it be implemented into logics arrange page, a la cubase sx.

Wen any processing is done in the audio editor it would be nice to be asked to create a new file instead of processing the whole file.

But more to the point, Im backing what amputease said: Theres no point in bringing out loads of new features and a new GUI and all the rest of it, if the program doesn't perform its basic primary functions...........GET IT SORTED!!!!!!!!