Logic 8 update request list

Amin Bhatia

1) Change Apple corporate policy so that open communication can occur between Logic technical staff and end-users. The first form of communication should be an acknowledgement and explanations of existing bugs, particularly with respect to the myriad cases of "overload" messages.

2) Suspend ALL feature requests, no matter how good they may be, until existing bugs are addressed.

3) Fix bugs in small batches, compartmentalizing the issues and releasing maintenance updates that address only those compartmentalized problems. For example, issue an update that deals solely with score editor bugs. Then another one that deals with, say, key command bugs, another that addresses Ultra-Beat issues, etc. Make the releases as frequent as possible so that users can enjoy full functionality of the software.

4) Publish a complete list of Logic error messages, what they mean, possible causes and remedies

5) Preference Checker utility: analyzes global preferences for possible corruption, reports any corruption, and offers options to fix it. Right now I don't believe that the prevailing folk-remedy of rebuilding preferences has any merit whatsoever.

6) Song Corruption Utility: analyzes Logic 7 and 8 songs and preferences for potential data corruption, reports any anomalies, and offers options to restore damaged songs.

7) Restore the Audio Configuration Window, including functions to remove plug-ins, remove instruments, remove EQ's, etc.

8) Only after the above is accomplished should new features be considered. Here's my short list:

a) SMPTE-lock (or otherwise 'fix position') of tempo events.

b) Provide for automation to "track" tempo changes just like any other MIDI data. Similarly, allow sections of automation data to remain fixed ("immune") to tempo changes while other sections track tempo changes

c) Provide "TRIM" mode for automation, just like any professional automation system should have.

d) Grouped Tracks Automation Undo: If I have, say, four tracks grouped and I write automation to them, and then want to re-do the automation, it's necessary to hit undo 4 times to restore the previous automation to those tracks. So, provide an undo function that undoes any single pass of automation on all grouped tracks with one hit of undo.

e) Restore window focus behavior a la LP7 (which is far superior to what it is now on Tiger)

f) Make Logic 7 songs more compatible with Logic 8 (I can report many a nightmare...)

g) Restore MIDI Remote checkbox

h) Use Core Audio's realtime sample rate conversion routines in the Browser window so that audio files recorded at a sample rate different from the current song's sample rate can be heard at their proper pitch and speed.

i) Restore the "close plugin window" key command. Removing this from Logic 8 was not a good idea...

I could go on for days, but I'll stop here for now...

Use Core Audio's realtime sample rate conversion routines in the Browser window so that audio files recorded at a sample rate different from the current song's sample rate can be heard at their proper pitch and speed.

This would be shadow!

I prefer to work at 96k but all my samples are at 44 and ive still not converted them. theres 100gb and their files and folders are arranged really nicely so its a long arse job. At the mo I hardly use them cos its just guess work. to leave them as they are would be cool. All tho the sample wouldn't be at 96k, the processing would and thats what i'm most bothered about

ps anyone who wants the 96k debate; not bein rude but take it elsewhere cos I've heard it all before at it was boring.

1. Anchor Point pref setting for Strip Silence

2. ms./samples- measurement readout box in Arrange

3. Better Fader Resolution w/ Modifier key

4. Recent List = 50+

5. Audio Region Volume Handles! please.

6. "Keep Last full pass - only" for cycled recording.

7. Ability to add/create multiple Green Apple Loops

8. "undo" for plug-ins!

9. "bypass all" for inserts.

10. cant save custom Q > elegantly

11. show signal in all Plugins.

12. nudge parts > arrangement window doesn't follow region's movement as it's nudged.

13. macros to string commands together.

14. Need "dim all other tracks by ___db".

15. Audio bin - still creates xtra unused regions from snip.

16. "Separate at Transients" command

17. after punch in... logic goes back to punch in point - using "go to last PLAY pos"... instead of last play position.

18. "Do it Again" function = last command repeat

19. Smart Tool = ala ProTools. (I just watched a 17 hour PT DVD, and the guy really works so fast with this tool's choices)

20. The ability to "lock" one+ plugs in a channel strip, so you can load another strip, but that one plugin stays.

21. Scroll mouse won't work hovering over faders & knobs. (like SX3) everything! no need to click first

22. "plug-in info window"... which shows any/all latency caused by plugins and whether to PDC that plug or not.

23. Folder tracks, still not as simple/ elegant as Cubase. fold 'em out and edit, fold 'em back up. Logic's are like a complex kleenex.

24. new Media Browser.... no region waveform view

25. option to snap the SPL?

26. Offline Processing? Like STP? I think it's coming...

27. "one button" complete mixer reset?

28. Beat Detective.

29. Elastic/warp Audio ala LIVE. please... (i think it's next)

30. Batch export midi regions as sep midi files.

31. MOVE MORE THAN ! TRACK AT A TIME.

32. Media Browser.. no auto-play

33. Capture last take (AUDIO TOO PLEASE)

34. Video Loops > same behavior as Apple Loops (Audio)

35. song overview.

I would like to see the Brain interface unit adapted to Logic so it will then do all these things that everyone is complaining about. If it determines that your request is not practical or that you were too lazy to read the manual, it will emit a shock wave which will delete all your knowledge and memory of anything to do with music.

You will then be forced to living a normal life with your friends and family.

http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~garyb/BCI_files/image001.gif

462563587_Picture1.png.e9d7da3bfb4c6f47a6927f541bb8a861.png

• 1 month later...

100% agree with ski's recommendations -- stability should be #1 priority, especially if this is supposed to be a professional app. You can't have crashes and glitches during a paying gig.

one thing i'd like to see fixed are the horrible bugs with swipe comping (especially when working with groups, and making your own take folder from imported tracks)

my feature requests

1) Audio snap/elastic audio/beat detective... for the love of god!

2) "slip edit" feature (like the slip edit feature in final cut, sonar, etc)

3) option to display grid ABOVE regions or see them THROUGH regions (handy for some tasks)

4) a "move play head to start/end of region" function

5) allow folders to be muted or soloed

6) polarity reverse in the channel strip (having to add an insert for this is dumb)

7) a "set default track header configuration" setting -- I hate that I have to add the freeze button everytime... let me make my own default!

Do you guys think perhaps the reason the small bugs have not been addressed yet is because Apple is going to release a massive update and add some features?

I have a weird feeling that when they release another update it will solve a lot of issues and add some new features as well. To me this would make sense, but who knows.

I agree with most people that Apple really should implement a beat detective function. The work arounds work, but they are very time consuming. Hopefully Apple will listen to its users and add some useful features in the near future (and fix the annoying bugs too!).

Do you guys think perhaps the reason the small bugs have not been addressed yet is because Apple is going to release a massive update and add some features?

I have a weird feeling that when they release another update it will solve a lot of issues and add some new features as well. To me this would make sense, but who knows.

I agree with most people that Apple really should implement a beat detective function. The work arounds work, but they are very time consuming. Hopefully Apple will listen to its users and add some useful features in the near future (and fix the annoying bugs too!).

I really hope the update is massive but don't get your hopes up. BTW. Love your handle. I'm a BIG Opeth fan myself. :D

Have a good one.

I really hope the update is massive but don't get your hopes up. BTW. Love your handle. I'm a BIG Opeth fan myself. :D

Have a good one.

thanks!

I'm trying not to get my hopes up but that is the only reason I can think of why they would not address more important issues sooner.

Yes. But the question remains how long it will take. Despite its flaws Logic 8 seems quite successful commercially. So from business view there is probably no urgent need for action.

A massive update ? Here is your reality check:

Apple needed 2-3 years to go from L7 to L8. It was only a missive update when you look at all the stuff they threw in the Logic Studio package. If you look only at the Logic Pro app, it was a nice update with long overdue improvements. Besides that, it had (and still has!) a massive amount of new bugs and a massive list of old unresolved issues like long file names, network issues,

Then they needed 3 month for a 8.01 release and another three month has passed with nothing at all.

With that in mind, I don't expect/want any new stuff. Like ski said. Let them fix all the bugs and release it in 2008 before you even think of new bells and whistles.

A massive update ? Here is your reality check:

Apple needed 2-3 years to go from L7 to L8. It was only a missive update when you look at all the stuff they threw in the Logic Studio package. If you look only at the Logic Pro app, it was a nice update with long overdue improvements. Besides that, it had (and still has!) a massive amount of new bugs and a massive list of old unresolved issues like long file names, network issues,

Then they needed 3 month for a 8.01 release and another three month has passed with nothing at all.

With that in mind, I don't expect/want any new stuff. Like ski said. Let them fix all the bugs and release it in 2008 before you even think of new bells and whistles.

Very true as well. May massive update was not the right term to use. I would be more than happy if they just fixed the bugs.

Guys,

A while ago, I was thinking about locking that thread. I decided against, just so you all could express your opinions, however:

I hope you all realize that this thread is utterly worthless. No one is going to read it, I myself haven't read it, and I can guarantee none of the developers are going to read it (in fact I am right now in Miami hanging out with the whole Logic team... so I know how they work - trust me).

I have created a "Feature Suggestion" forum for a reason: developers read it, and it works. If you have any suggestions, please use that forum, or the "bugs" forum if necessary.

Unless we all organize our thoughts and suggestions into some kind of an organized presentation, the developers won't read it, and our (your) whole point is moot.

I won't lock this thread just so you all can continue discuss this between yourselves. But if you actually intend to communicate with the Logic team, please use the "Feature Suggestions" forum. It was intended to organize our bug reports and our suggestions into something that the developers can digest in between their heavy developing hours.

Thanks.

I hope the next update LOGIC 8 fixes the bug that makes it impossible for me to use the program.

i cant trust that whatever i record is in time. Meaning when i play back my recording it has moved..

this is driving me insane hence i hope this is fixed..

.peder