Quick swipe bug with groups

ben_allison

I'm comping drums -- 11 tracks.

I had no problems grouping the tracks, then using Quick Swipe on the first song or two.

But now for some reason, when i try to swipe, it just de-selects the Comp entirely. I'm longer able to swipe portions of the take I want to use. Restarting doesn't help. Deleting my comps and starting over doesn't help.

What gives!

But, when I ungroup the tracks, all is well.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

There's no way to get it to "work" again.

Any ideas?

So any one else experience this bug?

Yes. I never once managed to get that feature to work across more than one track, the tool would jump around and throw tracks and folders with it.

I don't know that I could comp drums with only the kick mic showing, I find a lot of drum comping is about finding that sweet spot where you're not cutting off any decays, etc. Pretty hard to do that with just the kick mic, unless it's a ribbon mic 3' in front of the kit, LOL...

Oh, yeah: 2x2 G5 (PPC) with 10.4.11...

I don't know that I could comp drums with only the kick mic showing, I find a lot of drum comping is about finding that sweet spot where you're not cutting off any decays, etc.

That's why we have ears.

:)

The only way I have this working is using just one comp track open.

And I'm a drummer and I have ears.

I can identify bad comping and bad spot using those human organs.

It's been determined that if you group the tracks in advance BEFORE you record them then comping will work as a group much more efficiently.

I did that intuitively.

Maybe that's why it's working for me.

Anyway...

When I'm recording drums I always create groups so I do not need to click the recording button 5, 6 or 10 times.

:lol:

I don't know that I could comp drums with only the kick mic showing, I find a lot of drum comping is about finding that sweet spot where you're not cutting off any decays, etc.

That's why we have ears.

Yes. I'm sure you have lots of ride cymbal in your kick mic.

Good for you.

Glad I don't have to mix your drums.

That's why we have ears.

Good for you.

What are you talking about man?

:!: :?:

I'm just VISUALIZING THE KICK COMP TRACKS.

VISUALIZING.

Not listening the kick track SOLOED or something.

???

The other drum tracks/mics can be heard when comping.

No problem. And the other grouped drum tracks follows the comping perfectly.

Anyway. I don't have leakage in my kick mic.

I'm using an Audix D6 inside the drum.

Don't worry. You can mix my drums.

I suppose what Marcel mean is that it's hard to comp drums without LOOKING at the waveforms on the other mic tracks. The reason we are editing audio waveforms is that we can use our eyes to read the waveforms, and the positions of transients, tails, sustained notes, double-hits, flams, and so on. It's nice to use your ears, but if you can't SEE the other tracks that means you have to guess at an edit's position and then play it to hear it before you can adjust it.

Using your eyes, you can anticipate what your ears will be hearing, and use the visual information to make an informed decision. Definitely much more efficient.

As an example, you may find that an edit on the kick track in the middle of a snare never works, and decide not to do it again for that song. But with the snare track hidden, how do you know which kicks to cut and which ones not to cut?

My experience editing drums is that it can sound much more natural if you don't always place the edits at the same spots on all the tracks. Yes I know, phase correlation, yaddi yaddi yadda. I swear to you, a snare with a solid straight sustained tail, with a few slightly out of phase bleeding ghosts on other tracks sounds much better to my ears than a a perfectly in phase snare that was cut in two so the sustain tail now has an artifact right in the middle.

That's why we have ears.

Good for you.

What are you talking about man?

:!: :?:

I'm just VISUALIZING THE KICK COMP TRACKS.

VISUALIZING.

Not listening the kick track SOLOED or something.

???

The other drum tracks/mics can be heard when comping.

No problem. And the other grouped drum tracks follows the comping perfectly.

Anyway. I don't have leakage in my kick mic.

I'm using an Audix D6 inside the drum.

Don't worry. You can mix my drums.

Sorry... I totally misunderstood you, man.

So you're hiding the other tracks? Or just zooming in until you can see only the kick track on screen?

I suppose what Marcel mean is that it's hard to comp drums without LOOKING at the waveforms on the other mic tracks. The reason we are editing audio waveforms is that we can use our eyes to read the waveforms, and the positions of transients, tails, sustained notes, double-hits, flams, and so on. It's nice to use your ears, but if you can't SEE the other tracks that means you have to guess at an edit's position and then play it to hear it before you can adjust it.

Using your eyes, you can anticipate what your ears will be hearing, and use the visual information to make an informed decision. Definitely much more efficient.

As an example, you may find that an edit on the kick track in the middle of a snare never works, and decide not to do it again for that song. But with the snare track hidden, how do you know which kicks to cut and which ones not to cut?

My experience editing drums is that it can sound much more natural if you don't always place the edits at the same spots on all the tracks. Yes I know, phase correlation, yaddi yaddi yadda. I swear to you, a snare with a solid straight sustained tail, with a few slightly out of phase bleeding ghosts on other tracks sounds much better to my ears than a a perfectly in phase snare that was cut in two so the sustain tail now has an artifact right in the middle.

Yeah. I understand that David.

But I was talking about comping grouped drum tracks all at once.

And using Quick Swipe to do this, the tracks must be edited/quick swiped together.

I swear to you, a snare with a solid straight sustained tail, with a few slightly out of phase bleeding ghosts on other tracks sounds much better to my ears than a a perfectly in phase snare that was cut in two so the sustain tail now has an artifact right in the middle.

IME (believe me, I've done these things badly enough times myself to put anybody to shame) this works well, if...

You're meticulous with your phase relationships when you track, or you 'shuffle' to correct these relationships before you start editing. If stuff is out of phase to start with, asynchronous editing will get smeary and uneven fast.

And you keep your fades very short, under 5ms. Funny how, with drums, a 2ms fade sounds so much smoother than a 10ms one. Less chance of stepping on attacks this way, too.

Sorry... I totally misunderstood you, man.

So you're hiding the other tracks? Or just zooming in until you can see only the kick track on screen?

No problem. It's probably my fault.

As english is not my first language, sometimes it's hard to put the right thoughts and words down to paper...err.. to the computer screen.

;)

No. I'm not hiding the other tracks.

I'm just opening the comp "lanes" only on the kick Track.

I can see the other drum tracks, but don't have theirs comp lanes opened.

And that's because maybe there's a bug with the multi track quick swipe function, cause when visualizing all the comp lanes, It's a mess.

P/S: [OT] By the way. Is "theirs" right in the above phrase?

I don't know if I should use their or theirs.

Edited by DaniGordon

Yup, I take care of my phase, Hmm hmmm hmmm.

Xfades for me are in between 1 and 10ms. Usually I'll use 10ms but 1ms on cymbal tracks, which seem to hate Xfade and sound better without. So 1ms keeps me from getting clicks on those tracks. But I tend to edit drums like a maniac in my style of music (electronic industrial rock) so a 2ms in the middle of a sustained tail is a little short for me.