How do I change the default directory for saving L8 projects

John DeBorde

I'd like to change the default directory where logic first thinks I want to save a project. Right now it somewhere in my home directory I believe, but I'd like to change it to a directory on my project drive where I keep current projects.

Is there an easy way to do this?

thanks!

john

Unfortunately it doesn't seem you can change that default location, but just change it when the "Save As" window opens. Knowing your key commands can speed up your workflow:

With any kind of Finder browser window (Open, Save As, Bounce...), you can press:

• Command-D = Desktop

• Command-Shift-H = User Folder ("Home" Folder)

• Command-Shift-C = Computer

• Command-Shift-K = Network

• Command-Shift-N = Create a New Folder

If you want to go even faster and know how to type, just make sure the "Save as" field doesn't have key focus and start typing a path (for example ~/Music/). A "Go to folder" sheet will drop down and you can type the entire path and press return.

Edited by David Nahmani

I'd like to change the default directory where logic first thinks I want to save a project. Right now it somewhere in my home directory I believe, but I'd like to change it to a directory on my project drive where I keep current projects.

john

Hmm, I wonder if putting an alias to the folder you want, inside the default folder would work. You could name it so it appears at the top of the list so just one extra click would get you where you want to be.

Just thought of this...gonna try it when I get home tonight.

Is there an easy way to do this?

thanks!

john

What I did was:

1. Copy the Logic folder in the music folder to another drive and then delete the original.

2. Create and alias of the new Logic folder (rename it so it just reads Logic) and drag the alias into the Music folder; Delete the alias on the other drive.

Now it writes to the drive I want it to write to.

• Like 1

Another thing I've found that speeds up the navigation is to park various project folders in the side bar of the finder. (Select folder, Command-T to put it there and then drag to new position if you like). I might use the client's name or some folder inside the whole project like a song folder or a mixdown folder, depends on what I'm doing. The Save As browse window will mirror your finder.

Another thing I've found that speeds up the navigation is to park various project folders in the side bar of the finder. (Select folder, Command-T to put it there and then drag to new position if you like). I might use the client's name or some folder inside the whole project like a song folder or a mixdown folder, depends on what I'm doing. The Save As browse window will mirror your finder.

I like that one! I keep forgetting that we have that flexibility.

My favorite though was Default Folder which coul dmake life so much easier.

• 8 months later...
Cool, thanks for that tip Jay!

Sorry to bring up an old thread - but i tried this today and had an interesting experience.

I guess first - it seems very strange Apple would "lock" you into a specific folder. I don't see how this helps the "professional" user experience.

OK - so I created a Logic folder on a work drive and created an alias.

Then I dragged the original Logic folder into the trash, copied the alias to the original location and renamed it "Logic".

Then I went back to logic and saved a file to "Logic" in this location, expecting the alias to redirect the saved files to the location the alias pointed at.

Hmm. No folder showed up in the finder. Went back to Logic and tried to re-save and it told me the folder already existed. Very odd. Upon closer inspection, Logic was saving the file to the Logic folder that was in the trash. I guess it is using a resource id, not a directory location.

So I empty trash and save again, this time logic just defaulted to my user directory. I navigated to the logic folder on the work drive and saved the project. Created another project and the save dialog defaulted to the logic folder in my work drive.

So - it seems you can actually change the default, if you first delete the folder and empty trash.

peace

• 2 years later...