logic/ native instruments fm-8 setup

roberte

I want to post my solution to setting up FM-8 to play/record in logic as others might have the same problems I did. I am working on a mac powerbook titanium os 10.4.11.

AUDIO / MIDI SETUP

Audio-

(SCREENSHOT 1)

Midi-

(SCREENSHOT 2)

logic:

(SCREENSHOT 3)

mac pref / sound:

Output-

(SCREENSHOT 4)

Input-

(SCREENSHOT 5)

SOUNDFLOWER SETTINGS

top selection-

(BUILT IN AUDIO)

bottom selection-

(NONE)

I hope these settings work for you, It was a struggle. I think adding soundflower (do a google search) was what made the difference, along with a lot of trying different settings.

Robert

screenshot_04.jpg.6c8432bfc9fcee751bc5c9eb86fecf67.jpg

screenshot_03.jpg.bc7732c19a8fd1c395e9a5fbc455c917.jpg

screenshot_02.jpg.b5c71d7d9949d84c83aa8bdcd087a167.jpg

screenshot_01.jpg.ff174b87c3d74d7af1e2f301c6f79a40.jpg

screenshot_5.jpg.f2f36c502d8db7d941abb292b90acf91.jpg

Why did you need to go through all that? You shouldn't have to do any of that to either play or record FM8 in Logic. Recording the audio out of FM8 in real-time may require you to use Soundflower but even then it should be easier to do. But simply with Logic you should have no problem playing and bouncing to audio any software instrument.

First, thank you for your replies!

I have no idea why I have to do all this. All I know is that nothing else worked.

After days of trying just about everything, reading everything I could find in in the forum, etc this is the only way it worked for me. I wonder why? If anyone can give me a step by step way to accomplish the same thing I did this way I certainly would appreciate it and will gladly try it out.

Robert

The whole point of an Audio Unit instrument plug-in such as N.I.'s FM8 is to make your life simple, so you certainly don't have to go through any of that. All you should have to do is insert the instrument on a software instrument (audio instrument in Logic 7) channel strip, and you should be able to play, hear and record your instrument.

If that doesn't work you should get that sorted out.