Fast External Hard Drive for use with Logic.

Hey everyone!

Could anyone here recommend me a good high speed external hard drive?

I'm looking for something around 160GB but most of all it has to have fast access and write speeds all my audio samples will be stored on it so it will be accessed during track production in Logic. It's for use with my Macbook pro so I would preferably want a firewire 800 drive.

So basically

Internal Macbook Pro Hard Drive: OS + Applications

External Hard Drive: Samples and Plugins

If anyone could help, would be great!

Heya Bondy,

I just got a LaCie multi interface drive, a 320 gig. I've got it connected via Firewire 800 and this thing is blazing! I can copy a 700 meg file from my internal drive (20" iMac, current gen) in just under 10 seconds. I resaved all my projects to the new drive and, man, the difference just on opening projects is unbelievable. Where i used to sit there and watch each audio file load from my WD Firewire 400 drive, now all the audio files shoot by and the project is loaded and ready to play.

I'm not sure what the cost on the drive it, I work for an Apple retailer, my pay is in the form of store credit (I play gigs for money, work the store to quench my computer stuff joneses), but I've seen 'em online for $155, so it won't break the bank. For a 160, it'd be a good deal cheaper, I'd imagine.

For the record, it has ports for USB 2.0, E-SATA, FW400 and FW800. It's a 7200RPM drive. I've got no complaints at all.

ahhh..well then..it would make sense to get two of them :) Personally, I NEVER do anything with my record drive other than RECORD to it and keep sessions on it. No sample streaming, etc...

For my MacBook Pro, I went to this place and got a 250 gig internal driver to replace the 120 that my MBP shipped with:

http://www.mcetech.com/msperformance/

that way I could load a decent amount of samples, etc, on it (Native Instruments Komplete 5, one of my favorite IVORY Pianos, and a few other things), and leave my record drive JUST for my sessions and tracking. Even at 5400 RPM, I've never had any 'sample streaming' issues. I don't do a LOT of it, but it's yet to choke. I also spent a little extra on putting 4 gigs of RAM in the box...Well worth a little extra $.

http://macramdirect.com/macbook.html

good luck!

ahhh..well then..it would make sense to get two of them :) Personally, I NEVER do anything with my record drive other than RECORD to it and keep sessions on it. No sample streaming, etc...

good luck!

heya dave & all

I currently have a speedy 7200RPM Quadra for the audio and have seen an improvement in the amount of chokeups/overloads. Would I see any possible improvement if I placed the software instruments and samples on a separate FW800 drive daisy-chained? Or would this be a waste of cash? Since almost all of my overloads occur when midi instruments come in or are playing. I'm assuming Logic Node would not help with a macbook attached...

Several folks recommended OWC drives a few months ago when I was searching. I'm very happy with the 160GB I bought for $119. It's only a 400 speed and 8MB cache, but I got this as a temporary which will be used for secondary storage once I buy the 500GB/16MB I've got my eye on, which they have for $209.

Check this link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/800+USB2/

For 800 speed, you can get the 160GB/8MB for $139, or the closest 16MB (300GB) for $165. Really solid drives, I think...

Cheers. :)

Archived