Loading Akai samples into EXS24 (Zip disks)

Stockwell

Hi,

I have a library of Akai (S3000XL) samples stored on Zip disks. My Iomega Zip drive connects to my Akai via SCSI.

I want to load my Akai samples into the EXS24 sampler in Logic (on my MacBook Pro).

Am I right in thinking that the only way to do this is by getting a Zip drive with a USB connection... or am I missing a trick?

Thanks in advance.

I've researched this myself and given up because there doesn't seem to be a tenable solution...

EXS24 will read Akai-format CD-ROMs. SCSI--->USB adapters will likely require some kind of software that translates the SCSI data stream to a usable format (Akai CD) that EXS24 will understand, and I don't think such a thing exists for Mac.

I've read that it's possible to convert Akai data into something a Mac can read by first running some PC-based programs to create a disk image that you'd then have to burn a disk image of on the PC. Then such a disk would read in your Mac using EXS's built-in Akai translator, or, you could buy a program like CDXTRACT to do the job for you. But the problem still remains of getting the Akai disks' data from SCSI into the PC.

So that's my take. Hopefully someone will post with some better news (for both of us LOL)!

Hi Ski,

Thanks for your feedback.

What I'm proposing is simply buying a Zip drive with a USB connection (instead of the SCSI connection on my existing Zip drive) and using this to load by Zip disk-stored files onto the Mac. Don't you think this will work?

Alternatively, I could presumably buy a CD-ROM drive with a SCSI connector, plug this into the Akai and re-burn all my samples to that...

Cheers,

Stockwell

What I'm proposing is simply buying a Zip drive with a USB connection (instead of the SCSI connection on my existing Zip drive) and using this to load by Zip disk-stored files onto the Mac. Don't you think this will work?

My best guess is this:  if, using the Zip-->USB drive you can get an Akai disk image onto your Mac, it may be possible to then read that image using the EXS-24's built-in Akai translation (and possibly the same with CDXTRACT, should you ever go that route). I think the key is getting a disc image here that's formed correctly. IOW... I remember reading (or discussing with someone) the notion that the byte order on Akai disks was reversed from what a Mac would expect to read the files correctly. But take that info with a grain of salt, as it's been a long time since I had all the information fresh in my mind.

Alternatively, I could presumably buy a CD-ROM drive with a SCSI connector, plug this into the Akai and re-burn all my samples to that...

I don't think the S3000XL has software built-in to let you burn CD-ROMs from it (does it?)

Lastly, here's a link to a page with lots of Akai resources:

http://www.midicase.com/akai/

...and some others...

http://www.zicweb.com/disk2file/

http://www.ispl.jp/%7Eoosaki/software/akaitools/index.html

In particular, check out "Disk2File", but like most of the conversion utilities listed, they're for PC, or for Unix systems... I'd suggest wading through the links and see if anything meets your needs. Please post back if you find a workable solution!

Archived