Haven't found an effective way to Loop in EXS24

Mediaspar

Quick, simple problem that Logic has yet to solve.

Within EXS24's Zone parameters, one is able to select either "One Shot" OR "Loop". It creates the following scenario: Either One Shot is activated and I am able to play the assigned sample one time through by pressing the key trigger down once ORLoop is activated (One Shot availability disappears once Loop is selected, and vice-versa) and I am able to loop the given sample by HOLDING DOWN the keynote. Is there any way to, essentially, combine these two features so that I am able to loop a sample by pressing the keystroke once as opposed to holding it? I have tried Touch Tracks but those are messy, unorganized, and do not loop the sample in its entirety. Any suggestions?

loop it ... until when? Forever?"

Until another key is triggered, perhaps a key that is assigned to a sample of silence which would be lodged in the same group as the loop sample. I'd set the Group voice paramater as a maximum of 1 so that only silence or loop would be playing. I'd set the silence zone to One Shot - however, this does not alleviate the problem I'm having with the other Zone, the one I'd like to loop with a one shot command, so to speak.

You can do pretty much whatever you want in the environment.

You could put a transformer between the physical input and the to-sequencer-and-thru objects, and set it to delete all note-off events.

Then, set the EXS24 to MONO so it stops the previous note whenver it receives a new one. Check the "loop" checkbox in the edit window.

With those settings, pressing and releasing a key would trigger the corresponding sample and loop it until you press another key: then the new corresponding sample is looped, until you press yet another key.... and you could easily set one of the key to a silent one-shot sample or something.

Is that what you wanted?

Yes this is what I wanted. However, since I am still new to Logic, the physical actions you have explained seem a bit specialized and specific. Could you perhaps re-word your idea in a more user-friendly sense? I understand if catering to a new individual can not include a rephrasing of certain words, for those are actual things that have to be used. But can you then, perhaps, explain how I would go about doing all this? For example, what is a transformer? How do I implement one in the Environment? How do I set parameters within the Environment? The only experience I've had with Environment is the Touch Track feature, so I am only aware of how the Touch Track and Environment interact (IE what of the Environment is required for sucessful operation of the two concepts, which, unfortunately, does not include anything you have just explained). If you can not explain in further detail, I guess I have no other choice but to navigate through dark waters :shock:

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I figured out how to create a transformer in the Environment and send output from Physical Input to Transformer and then out from Transformer to "to Recording and Thru". However, you said to set the Transformer to "delete all note off events." However, this is not an option that I'm seeing within the transformer window. Any other suggestions?

Logic won't let you delete note off messages for obvious reasons! Could get messy!

What you can do to trick logic is the folowing trick:

Use a transformer to change note messages to control data by setting it up like this:

Top bit: Note All All All

Bottom bit: Control Thru Thru Thru

...got it? OK, then wire this into a second transformer set to this:

Top bit: Control All All >=

Bottom bit: Note Thru Thru Thru

....and be sure to set the transformer to 'Filter non-matching events'.

This transformer will filter out any control data with a value byte equal to zero and turn the rest into your notes with no end!

Wire this into the sequencer input / midi thru object as before, and you're there.

Also, I just tried your trick and it seems to not work. Do I set both transformers to filter non matching events? Another thing: the parameter of "Control" you told me to insert for one of the bottom options of the Transport edit window does not exist.

Logic won't let you delete note off messages for obvious reasons! Could get messy!

What? No no, of course Logic will let you do whatever you want.

Your transformer should be set to "Filter matching events". Then set:

Status = Note

Velocity = 0

Leave everything else on thru.

Keep in mind that what we call "note off" is in reality a "note on" with a velocity of zero.

1. Yeah you need to link the 2 transformers together. I don't know why the method didn't work, i've had no problems in the past! Sorry it's a difficult process to explain over the forum so I can't be of much help.

2. I beg to differ - Logic actually *does* stop you from carrying out a transformation that will remove NOF messages, It will stop you from filtering out notes of velocity = 0. You have to go through the stated process of changing notes to another sort of MIDI data (eg control data) to bypass the check. Certainly this is true with Logic 5.5, can't speak for later versions of course. Any 5.5 users, give it a go!

I beg to differ - Logic actually *does* stop you from carrying out a transformation that will remove NOF messages, It will stop you from filtering out notes of velocity = 0. You have to go through the stated process of changing notes to another sort of MIDI data (eg control data) to bypass the check. Certainly this is true with Logic 5.5, can't speak for later versions of course. Any 5.5 users, give it a go!

Well, in Logic Pro 7 it works like a charm. I have tested the solution before postting, it works just fine. One transformer is enough.

I forgot this very important comment:

Thank you, David! Your solution worked perfectly! You're the only only person out of the members of sonikcommunity, Apple Support Board, and here to have come up with an answer *that works*. I salute you, good sir.

Regards,

Adam