Poll: How do you program your drums?

Mediaspar

Just wanted to survey all Logicians I have relatively easy contact with regarding how they program their drums. I know this is a complicated subject but if anyone could generally describe how they do it, I would greatly appreciate it as I myself am still trying to discover what works best.

So far I am trying to assemble Sampler Instruments and just mouse click the parts in the Matrix editor.

-Adam

Wow ! What a question ....... (like dangling a schoolboy in front of a bishop)

I start by assembling my kit for one track.

Get a kick from here, a hihat from there etc etc.

Then I make sure all the samples are normalised to -0.5.

The folder of samples for the kit I'm using lives on my audio work drive.

I then either build the kit in VSamp or in Linplug RMIV, depending on how I feel, what I had for lunch, and the phase of the moon.

My grouped outputs from either VSamp or RMIV are:

Kick o/p 1 mono pan centre Audio Inst 1

Snare(s) o/p 3-4 stereo Aux 1

Hats o/p 5-6 stereo Aux 2

Toms o/p 7-8 stereo Aux 3

Industrial o/p 9-10 stereo Aux 4

Afro Perc o/p 11-12 stereo Aux 5

Blocks etc o/p 13-14 stereo Aux 6

Extras o/p 15-16 stereo Aux 7

I then create 10 tracks in the Arrange, all addressing a mapped instrument which is permanently *environmented* to Audio Inst 1, which carries the sample player, either VSamp or RMIV. All 10 tracks are MIDI #10, just for historical reasons, really !

I then create regions on each track for each drum part. This way, I can make minute timing adjustments for each sound by the track delay until the groove feels right.

I then usually create loops which I use later in audio tracks, rather than try to run the drums from VSTi all through the track. When the tooth fairy leaves me enough for the dual G5, that may change.

I keep the loop regions handy (hidden) in case of rethinks during production.

Most of the dance tracks that come out of here are done this way. It's actually a more-or-less blatant copy of what we did when we were on Cubase up until about four months ago.

If you are not asleep already, I thank you for your attention.

8)

Where can I find those utilities for drum kit construction .......... I'm using the EXS24 and it seems to be going pretty well, but I'd like to weigh my options.

The RMIV is from Peter Linsener at Linplug:

http://www.linplug.com

VSamp is from a friend of mine, Malcolm Haylock, at:

http://www.vsamp.com

They are both excellent products, rock solid under OS X, and affordable.

I find the EXS24 a bit of a crude axe for fine drum work. It's great for pads and some leads.

Cheers

:)

So you build the kit (hi hat from here, kick from here, etc.) in VSamp, load the created instrument as an Audio Instrument in Logic, and sequence/record the beat in real time within Logic? Or do you record the entire beat in, not just contruct it, VSamp and load the entire MIDI file as an Audio Instrument?

...... and sequence/record the beat in real time within Logic? Or do you record the entire beat in, not just contruct it, VSamp and load the entire MIDI file as an Audio Instrument?

Personally, I restrict every kit to drum hits. I know some folk who will trigger beats, loops, whatever, but I don't find I can work that way.

Then, using my separate tracks, MIDI regions in Logic become ultra-tweakable references to single drum sounds within the instrument, be it the RMIV or VSamp.

As I said, I then usually bounce the loops, knowing that they are rock solid for timing and tempo-locked.

Just my way. Been in the game for a long time - like my comfy habits ! !

:)

Hi,

I generally have kicks-claps...whatever drumsounds on separate audio instruments. Since there are plenty of 'm I feel no need to use individual outputs on Battery or EXS24 (or whatever audio instrument you prefer).

This way I find it easier to keep focus and not get tangled up in routing issues because it's very straigtforward. Although it does require more processor resources I have been able to manage very well on my MDD 2x1.25 with 1GB of internal RAM.

Next week I will get my G5 so then there's even less reason to keep track of my processor overhead.

Cheers,

Vank

Does anyone use Ultrabeat to program drums?

I am very new to Logic, but it seems like the pattern selection might be useful (I am still trying to figure that out...)? In Reason (with the Redrum or Dr. Rex modules) there is a similar pattern selection concept.

M.

(by the way: Outstanding forum!)

Next week I will get my G5 so then there's even less reason to keep track of my processor overhead.

Vank, you are making me dribble and drool with envy

and go all weak at the knees with anticipation.

(Don't get mine for another 3 weeks)

G5, that is ............................

What were you thinking ?

8)

Archived