What was your first 'midi' setup?

Keep treating Leah like this and she will run away, fall into a depression brought on by a hard drug habit, and she'll be a Mac Bimbo, er, Chick within…4 months.

LOL !

That site is so depressingly sexist as to make one puke !

If the only qualification you need to be a "Mac Chick" is being able

to actually open your MacBook and use the other brain cell to

arrange yourself provocatively on the couch, God help us all ! ! ! !

Leah, I'm sure, is above such things and recognises my highbrow

intellectual banter for what it is .....................

:lol:

-

C

Keep treating Leah like this and she will run away, fall into a depression brought on by a hard drug habit, and she'll be a Mac Bimbo, er, Chick within…4 months.

LOL !

That site is so depressingly sexist as to make one puke !

If the only qualification you need to be a "Mac Chick" is being able

to actually open your MacBook and use the other brain cell to

arrange yourself provocatively on the couch, God help us all ! ! ! !

Leah, I'm sure, is above such things and recognises my highbrow

intellectual banter for what it is .....................

:lol:

-

C

But I thought Mac's were SOOOO easy you did not even need a brain to use one? :D

On an old Mac my family (like a Mac plus or something) used to have there was a sequencing program, but it wasn't traditional at all. It looked like a Stockhausen score.

You basically would put these shapes on a staff, and each shape was a different sound. I remember bringing printouts of these for my music teacher in 5th grade and asking if he could play them.

My first keyboard was the Casio CZ101 :-D ... my first midi setup was Roland D10 and MC300 sequencer ... which progressed into ...Atari ST 1024 running Steinberg Pro 12 , Roland D10 , Roland U20 , Korg M1r , Korg M3r , a 2unit roland sampler that i cant remember the name of !!! ... and Roland A880 midi patch bay ..... ahh the good ole times 8)

• 4 weeks later...

Circa 1985:

Roland Juno-106, Yamaha QX-7 sequencer, Roland TR-505 drum machine.

A few years later that evolved into a D-50, DX-7, Kawai K-1, MC-500 sequencer and both Kawai R-50 and Roland R-5 drum machines. (i learned to use them as sound modules instead of syncing patterns)

Multiple, endless configurations since then. Boy, those were the days.

I started pre-midi, but my first midi keyboard was a Korg Poly 800 and a brand new TR-909.

The first things I ever synced together were a Firstman SQ01 bass sequencer and a Kay DRM-1 drum rhythm via a 24ppq socket.

Nice.

mine wasnt quite pre-midi, but the only thing midi'ed up was the ensoniq EPS perfomance sampler controlling a Roland JV-880... into the ADAT as regular o' audio. funds were tight and tracks were limited! then i added on a novation drumstation and nord lead to the mix... maxing myself out... that is how it begain.. not counting a midi-ready casio "synth"... HT-700 or somethign? it was actually pretty cool! terrible PCM drums... HAHHA! but it actually did some arpeggiator-ish/gate-ish chord FX which rocked.

VINCE :D

1. Commodore 64 running Passport Master Tracks. 8 Tracks of Midi goodness in there.

2. Korg Poly 800 Mk2

3. Yamaha FB-01

4. Roland Juno-6 (no midi)

5. Fostex X-15 multitracker

6. Korg DDD5 Drum machine

Then in '87 I took out a personal loan and bought an Ensoniq Mirage DSK. 64k of sampling goodness and in 8 bit. I still remember how cold and lifeless that piano sound was.

In the 20 years since then my gear has improved but my ability has not.