How do I set up separate MIDI channels?

drumjazz

Hi,

New Mainstage user here. My controller is a DrumKat 3.5 MIDI controller and I'm using a new Macbook (got it last week), OSX 10.5.2, 2 gig Ram, and a 7200rpm 200gig hard drive.

So far I have been using the keyboard setups with either drumkits or keyboard sounds. I understand how to layer patches, set ranges, etc. Sometimes, though, it would be advantageous to be able to use more than one MIDI channel, which is what I used to do when I used MIDI modules. Those days are over for me, and I really like the Mainstage interface. Is there a way to set up, say, channel 1 for keyboard 1, channel 2 for keyboard 2, etc?

BTW, I tried using a Mainstage drumpad layout, but there seemed to be more latency than with the keyboard setups. And, it's just easier to visualize what's going on when I can see the whole keyboard.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Using LAYOUT, drag/add 2 keyboard icons. Set keyboard #1 to MIDI ch 1, set #2 to MIDI ch 2 (or whatever channel(s) you want.)

In EDIT, add two channel strips, choose instruments for the strips. Click on one of the channel strips to select it. In Channel Strip Inspector>key range>input, select keyboard 1 or 2 from the drop down menu. Go back and click the second channel strip and choose the other keyboard from the Channel Strip Inspector.

Now you will be able to play each keyboard separately from channel 1 or 2.