Logic & Mainstage Live

DEVO

Hi

We are planning to run sequenced drums (EZDrummer) and synths via Logic for some live work.

We also intend to plug in bass gtr, elec gtr and vocals via an audio interface and use the internal Logic effects for such.

However, we have two macbooks and wondered if we could set up Mainstage on one and Logic on another, running the sequenced stuff in Logic and getting Logic to trigger the changes we need in Mainstage via midi.

Has anyone done anything like this.

i'm doing similar stuff.

Logic plays backtracks out thru an ultralite. It also sends midi data during the song to two other macbooks driving mainstage. This enables sound switching without having to bother about pedals or the like.

I don't know about you but since we're doing actual backtracks at the mo, drummer and bass player quit when we relocated from stockholm to berlin, we nowadays can not just rip one song after another but rather have to change logic session in between.. anyways, for that to happen we also use the ace program by the name of: OnStage. It closes and opens logic sessions on program change commands. Change of song can either be chosen by sending a message or as in our case: letting logic do so after every song. smooth.

Should you choose to use OnStage too then just remember that it listens to ch 1 and not to higher numbers than 20. I therefore send on ch 1 to OnStage and 2 and 3 goes to the macbooks with mainstage.

It kinda sounds like big trouble to keep track of 3 macbooks with mainstage x2, logic, onstage, motu cuemix and chaingang (vid stuff) at the same time.. but it has actually been working pretty well for us.

only problem i've noticed with mainstage is how it sometimes start sounding really strange after standing with a high workload unused for a while.. let's say 15-30 min or so.

but otherwise this has been working sehr gut, as they say here.

• 8 months later...

Well I don't know whether you have tried it so far... but I'm starting a new live set that includes Logic with some backing track sending MIDI Time Code to my Yamaha rm1x ( I love the sequencer in this old machine) controlling Mainstage all on the same computer... so far it seems to be working more than fine with hardly if any latency... but I have to add more patches and channel strips...

I've just started experimenting with it as I never felt totally comfortable with Ableton Live...

All I can say is good luck. I've been touring for 10 years now, all over the world and in every kind of venue you can imagine and I think your set up is gonna fail you. Computers and live stages don't mix well at all. I would rethink it. It is too reliant on the computer. Are you running some kind of backing track? There are better and more stable platforms than your mac. Trust me a show in Singapore where the laptop crashed 4 times in one show.

All I can say is good luck. I've been touring for 10 years now, all over the world and in every kind of venue you can imagine and I think your set up is gonna fail you. Computers and live stages don't mix well at all. I would rethink it. It is too reliant on the computer. Are you running some kind of backing track? There are better and more stable platforms than your mac. Trust me a show in Singapore where the laptop crashed 4 times in one show.

You bring up many valid points, however computers are becoming an ever present reality in live stage production.

Certainly using a computer entails several more precautions that must be put in place, but if the appropriate precautions are taken a stable and tour-worthy rig can be created. So long as tracks are always running on two computers and you have a fast (or automatic) switching mechanism, the likelihood of a complete failure is slim to none. It's all about learning the equipments capability, testing it thoroughly, and not changing things once you test it.

With this in mind, to the OP: yes, you could certainly do exactly what you suggest with Logic on one Macbook and Mainstage on another. It may be worth considering running Logic and Mainstage on both computers therefore having redundancy. Its also worth saying, however, that Mainstage is one of the most-rock solid applications I have worked with in performance. I've had it crash several times in the editing phase, but I've never once had a failure while in performance mode.

• 4 weeks later...
i'm doing similar stuff.

Logic plays backtracks out thru an ultralite. It also sends midi data during the song to two other macbooks driving mainstage. This enables sound switching without having to bother about pedals or the like.

I don't know about you but since we're doing actual backtracks at the mo, drummer and bass player quit when we relocated from stockholm to berlin, we nowadays can not just rip one song after another but rather have to change logic session in between.. anyways, for that to happen we also use the ace program by the name of: OnStage. It closes and opens logic sessions on program change commands. Change of song can either be chosen by sending a message or as in our case: letting logic do so after every song. smooth.

Should you choose to use OnStage too then just remember that it listens to ch 1 and not to higher numbers than 20. I therefore send on ch 1 to OnStage and 2 and 3 goes to the macbooks with mainstage.

I just downloaded Onstage and I can't seem to get it to do anything. I would like Logic to send a patch change message (which I tried and Onstage didn't show any signs of life) and have it change songs. Can you please tell me how you are getting Onstage to "see" logic and understand the program change messages?

thanks

KC