Enhance Tuning in Logic Express

teahead

Hi everyone (and Hello David!),

I've recently been bitten by the Logic bug due to some adventures with GarageBand, and am running version 7.1 of Express while anticipating a move to Pro sometime in the future. I'm using my Digi 002R (I feel like abandoning Pro Tools LE!) and this forum has been a help with some of the issues there.

I'll certainly have many questions, but the one that's on my mind right now concerns the Enhance Tuning feature in Express. I've been trying to find some info on using this as all my attempts have been shoddy at best. I know Pro has a more Auto-Tune-like plug-in, but wondered if anyone might offer tips on this cool little Express feature....

Thanks!

Yes...it has been a while! Hope all's well with ya. It's all good here.

The plug-in is actually called "Enhance Pitch" and is under the "Special" Logic plug-ins on Express, right next to Enhance Timing. It's new in 7.1. I hoped it would help correct some of my...erhm, not so spot-on singing in much the same way folks use Auto-Tune. The interface is pretty much nothing, but it allows you to (try to) correct bad notes by drawing automation on the waveform in much the same way you'd draw in panning or something....

I can't quite get the hang of it, and haven't been able to find any documentation or any advice on how to use it. Sorry to place such an obscure quandary where most of the users are Pro...just hoping someone with Express might be able to shed some light...

Thanks, David...I figured it might be a long-shot since it's only offered in Express. For what it's worth, here's the only info I've found on it (from the "What's New in Logic Express 7.1" pdf):

New Enhance Tuning Effect

The Logic Express 7.1 Update includes the new Enhance Tuning effect, that nondestructively corrects the tuning of audio recordings. The amount of enhancement is determined by the Enhance Tuning slider. It moves notes to the closest pitch on the chromatic (12 note) scale. You can limit the tuning by activating the Limit to Key checkbox, which restricts pitch to the song key (as defined in the Global Key Signature track). Important: The Enhance Tuning plug-in can only produce accurate results on monophonic (single note) audio recordings.

They call it Enhance Tuning in the pdf, but it's Enhance Pitch in the app. Also, I can't find the Limit to Key checkbox anywhere, and there's a bug where Express will crash if you have the plug-in window open and hit play. Closing the plug-in window before pressing play doesn't crash the app. This has been discussed on the Apple boards, but no one there has offered up any advice on how to use the dang thing!

Just a little more info in case anyone has any thoughts. No matter what settings I use in the plug-in, I'm not getting any changes in the audio...maybe it's just not ready for prime time yet...

What kind of audio are you trying it on?

Maybe try something very basic, just for testing purposes. For example, create a little audio file by bouncing a virtual instrument. Program a little melody while using the pitch bend to detune it slightly in parts, more pronounced in the end.

Try the plug-in on that and see if it works?

Pitch trackers have difficulties with certain material where the amount of noise content can "hide" the pitch. The closer you are to a sine wave (pure sound, only one formant, no harmonics), the easier the tracker will follow the pitch and the plug-in can correct.

.... if it works correctly, that is! :P